Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, August 9th 2013, 2:14pm

As already stated the RPG reloads considerably faster. It also in my opinion has the superior iron sights and the super smexy factor that works in the RPGs favor.

RPG sights let you see more and don't block your view as much BUT the SMAW sights make for damn near PERFECT markers for long range attacks.

Misnomer

Don't Prox Me Bro

(497)

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, August 9th 2013, 3:37pm

As already stated the RPG reloads considerably faster. It also in my opinion has the superior iron sights and the super smexy factor that works in the RPGs favor.

RPG sights let you see more and don't block your view as much BUT the SMAW sights make for damn near PERFECT markers for long range attacks.

Which with rockets in this game is fairly meaningless unless you are shooting at a sniper scope glint.

Otherwise your long range target sees something like this:

1. Oh no there is a rocket coming at me.
2. Takes a drink of his soda.
3. Tosses some health to his buddies.
4. Takes two steps to the left.
5. Rocket explodes 2m from him. And he is pretty much unscathed.
6. Whew that was close...

I think it comes down to reload speed and irons. With the silly way DICE has balanced rockets and vehicles in this game, reload speed is everything. If you get an infantry kill with a rocket, they would have been dead from either anyway regardless of the accuracy. The reload time though means that you might get 3 RPGs off while you would only get 2 SMAWs before you are killed. That is a world of difference.

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, August 9th 2013, 6:17pm

Which with rockets in this game is fairly meaningless unless you are shooting at a sniper scope glint.

Otherwise your long range target sees something like this:

1. Oh no there is a rocket coming at me.
2. Takes a drink of his soda.
3. Tosses some health to his buddies.
4. Takes two steps to the left.
5. Rocket explodes 2m from him. And he is pretty much unscathed.
6. Whew that was close...

I think it comes down to reload speed and irons. With the silly way DICE has balanced rockets and vehicles in this game, reload speed is everything. If you get an infantry kill with a rocket, they would have been dead from either anyway regardless of the accuracy. The reload time though means that you might get 3 RPGs off while you would only get 2 SMAWs before you are killed. That is a world of difference.

Why would we be shooting rockets at infantry? Back in the first patch or release shooting at infantry at long range was...viable, but then they nerfed explosive damage for everything to hell.(which I was NEVER happy with but understand why it was needed)

Shooting rockets at tanks, now that's what I'm talking about. With 3D spotting on, a little map knowledge, and a tank out in the open. In a situation like that, which happens a lot, hitting a tank at 200 meters is quite easy once you figure out the "distance markers" the sights give you. When a tank gets hit from that far away when they think nothing is around them they freak. It really is hilarious to watch.

When shit hits the fan and were in a spot where we are peaking out from cover and running away trying to kill a tank. Yeah that extra reload speed is worth more then any iorns, accuracy, speed. But if were that close it be close enough to hip fire anyways?

Labby

(6,444)

Date of registration
: Sep 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, August 9th 2013, 6:27pm

The RPG reloads faster than the SMAW because the Littlebird is a smaller target than the Z11w.

At least that's the only good reason I can come up with for the difference.
[Aetherblade Medium Boots]

JOIN THE TEAMSPEAK (L)EVOLUTION: teamsym.nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Sep 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, August 9th 2013, 6:48pm

@labby the primary role of RPG or SMAW isn't to shoot scout chellies

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Friday, August 9th 2013, 7:05pm

@labby the primary role of RPG or SMAW isn't to shoot scout chellies

Aye but its fucking sweet when you do :D

Actually I think it was Labby who told me (If so then thanks again man!) that the best defence against helicopters is unguided attacks: MBT Main guns, TOW Missiles, Jet GAUs, TV Missiles and RPG shots. If its on target then the pilot can do very little to dodge it and they're all usually OHKs, unlike Stiglas which just encourage good pilots out of their effective range but still very much at a range where they can wreck your shit!

Also we're so calling them that now, 'Chellies' :thumbsup:

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

DeathOfTheDodo

Veni, SMAW, Vici

(863)

Date of registration
: Jun 30th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, August 9th 2013, 9:12pm

I too have a lot more kills with the RPG than the SMAW. I think it's because the SMAW just takes so much longer to reload I usually run with a crossbow or something. The RPG sight is just so much more user-friendly.

Chellies? Not Hellychopters?
[SYM]Deathofthedodo
BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED BE ADVISED

"AK Attachment Guide"

No.

Darktan13

Unhappy Camper

(4,678)

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, August 9th 2013, 10:51pm

RPG will be more accurate for many, because the US tanks are fairly significantly larger than the RU tanks ( also the AMTRAK for those who play rush, is a massive and slow target ), and a higher KPM because of a significantly faster reload. There's some additional variation based on rush play or not, but this is true for pure conquest players too.

Also, littlebirds are not helicopters, they are tanks.

Quoted from "J0hn-Stuart-Mill"

Misnomer

Don't Prox Me Bro

(497)

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, August 9th 2013, 10:57pm

That is a bit of revisionist history isn't it Labby? We didn't get the the one hit kill RPG/SMAW against the Little Bird until midway into the patches. :P Before that you would have had to be crazy to stand in the open long enough to shoot at those death birds. Your only real hope was the M98b glass headshot. Thank goodness for the nerf.

Anyway, yes you still should use rockets against infantry, but only at long range. If you are running an MTAR on a sizeable map it is far more efficient to pull up a rocket on that sniper glint than to take cover even. The real benefit there is that even if the sniper gets you, that rocket is usually still in flight an you get the simul-kill. I have been pissing off snipers with rockets since BF2. SMAW accuracy is useful at those ranges, but the RPG sight is a lot easier to compensate for drop with.

But, as I said, those sniper kills are so infrequent that the SMAW advantage on them would not make up for reload time versus vehicles or really anything else with the RPG.

With the dominance of the M16a3, are we really still surprised at the impact reload time can has in BF3?

(Side note: from this Launchers and Explosives - General Data I can't seem to figure out if both have the same weapon switch time. I could swear that it takes longer to shoulder the smaw, but I wanted to see if the numbers backed me up).

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, August 9th 2013, 11:57pm

Side note: from this Launchers and Explosives - General Data I can't seem to figure out if both have the same weapon switch time. I could swear that it takes longer to shoulder the smaw, but I wanted to see if the numbers backed me up

If "DeployTime" is the value for swap-time both Ga Dunk Ga Boom and Ruthless Hero have "1.0"