Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 1:29pm

M16 bros are bestbros !

.......... X(

Really interesting J0hn, I love looking at stuff like this :D
Good work man ;)

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 1:39pm

lolm16

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,967)

• "J0hn-Stuart-Mill" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 1:50pm

But the current info is with almost 2 years worth of m98b, with only a few months worth of jng_90. Two time-periods in one chart, giving inaccurate info. Same with the other weapons, that's what I meant.

I did where i felt it was relevant. Also the JNG + Close Quarters has been out for a full year now :) My first set of graphs was the first 9.5 Months of BF3 data.
I subtracted the "old" data from the "new" data as there were a few weapons that changed drastically in the amount they were used. The Famas on console is the biggest example. It went from being extremely popular in BF3's early days to almost unused in the past year. The other Classes I did not subtract the old data because doing accomplished little (the usage ratios often remained the same anyways, and it only further exaggerated the new weapons prominence, and I didn't want to incorrectly represent the new weapons.

I don't have access to every bit of data, which means, if I were to subtract all of the old data from the new data, the result is disproportionately skews in favor of the new weapons. Say you got 1600 kills with the G36C in the first few months of the game, and then the ACW comes out, and you use it to 1600, but also keep using the G36C for another 1600 kills.

There's no way for me to see that you kept using the G36 in the stats. Purely subtracting out the first year favors the new guns too heavily.

How about this. Take a look at the tiny percentage changes for each weapon class. Those are the percentages in which each gun changed in relative to where they were before. These percentages ignore the new guns, and were calculated by subtracting the old data from the new data, with the goal being to exemplify how each has changed. (and you are right to ask me about this because I didn't explain that-and I will add that explanation to the first post now!)

Subtracting the first 9.5 months of data out for most classes would serve to double the size of the new guns on the graphs, but I do not think that reflects reality.

As I see it, people use whatever they feel is most effective (or in a few cases, most fun), and they had 9.5 months to use the vanilla guns, they had 7 months to use the Karkand guns, and now they've had another whole year to use all the guns. If I could somehow calculate or show all kills with every gun from the past month or two, I would, but EA does not make such stats available, and this is the next best thing.

TL;DR -
* Subtracting all the old data serves to exaggerate how much the new guns are used
* The percent change for each class is listed with the old data subtracted, to get a precise view of how the old guns have changed.
My father used to say, We find our true friends on the Battlefield! - J0hn Snow

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "J0hn-Stuart-Mill" (Jun 1st 2013, 2:22pm)

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,967)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 2:48pm

I've continued pondering your points about the new weapons, and you are right that they are probably under-represented here in my graphs. However, part of my logic is that since they've been out more than half the time the game has existed, that gives users plenty of time to choose them over the old weapons.

if I were to remove the old data, that would essentially double the size of all the "new" weapons. And I admit, reality is somewhere between the two. I don't think it's double, but it certainly is more than I've graphed here.

There are many minor flaws with the limited data we have access to, and this is one of them. In the scope of things I think it's pretty minor, so everyone in your heads imagine the close quarters weapons as slightly more prominent than the graphs show! :)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 5:19pm

The UMP is incredibly prevalent on console below that 1600 kill threshold. I'd say that roughly 85% of the non-Colonels I see on Xbox are using either the UMP or one of the big three ARs, snipers aside. Just goes to show how experience changes your weapon selection.

The low representation of the AN-94 at those higher percentages is rather surprising, to be honest. Just goes to show how many people at the top are afraid of their stats dropping for a short time while they learn how to play the game better.

Minor criticism to clarify something for any visitors who see this thread--could you clarify that the relative percentage change examples are for PC?
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Apr 16th 2013

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, June 1st 2013, 6:55pm

Very good work. Like Viper, I really enjoy things like these :P.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Sunday, June 2nd 2013, 10:31pm

Very good work. Like Viper, I really enjoy things like these :P.

:love:

Showed my friend this and he spent hours going "Damn, I never knew that" or "Wow, I wonder why that is". Great fun to watch the look of curiosity on his face :D

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Date of registration
: May 4th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 11:50am

"Subtracting the first 9.5 months of data out for most classes would serve to double the size of the new guns on the graphs, but I do not think that reflects reality."

Isn't the point of the new charts (to see what's happened recently since new guns & patches)? I don't see the M16A3 or M4A1 as much since the new guns came out and would be interested to see if they are still really the #1, not boosted there by the historical data.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 2:06pm

On PC, the M16 most definitely is the #1. I'm not so sure about the M4 though, there is pretty good gun variety in the engineer class, at least compared to what the Assault class is like.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,967)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 26th 2013, 4:13pm

Isn't the point of the new charts (to see what's happened recently since new guns & patches)? I don't see the M16A3 or M4A1 as much since the new guns came out and would be interested to see if they are still really the #1, not boosted there by the historical data.

Yes, hence the charts showing relative percent change for each weapon category. The changes were a combination of being too minor to see the differences in the pie chart, and yet large enough that subtracting 50% of the weapon data would serve to greatly exaggerate the prominence of the new weapons.