Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 11:31pm

Straight-Pull Bolt--Nerfworthy or Not?

I was thinking about the Straight-Pull Bolt and I realized something about it. I think that the SPB needs a small nerf simply because the side effect of not having to descope is a higher rate of fire. It should be obvious enough, I just never put it together.

Let's say you're using the M40A5 with an 8x.
Time to manipulate bolt--1.10s. Will occur no matter what attachments you're using.
Without SPB, you have to descope between shots, adding .363+.297 to your time between shots. So your new time between shots is 1.80s.

That's an improvement of 64%.

Let's imagine an attachment like that existed for other weapons. Enjoy your new 1470 rpm AEK?

In a nutshell, I feel like the SPB should increase the time it takes to manipulate the bolt by, say .40s. It's still faster than not using one but at the same time, you're not firing at 165% of the guy that's not using one.

Since it's so critical to sniper fighting at the moment, bolt-actions should, of course, get some other buffing, like an improvement to their moving spread.

I'm not trying to just say "hurr durr nerf snipers" or anything like that. The RoF increase is just a (hopefully) unintended side effect of a normal game mechanic. I'm curious as to y'all's thoughts on removing what I think is an oversight.

Thoughts?
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Souperintendent

Does NOT represent Symthic

(312)

• "Souperintendent" has been banned

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 11:47pm

No, because using a SPB sacrifices the Bipod's no-sway and recoil bonuses, which is really helpful when aiming for headshots.

Besides, bolt-actions suck horribly already. Why nerf them?

feci.

Quotes of the Ages:

Also, sad day when your phone corrects FAMAS to be in caps. Damn it.

That's not bad. My phone corrected "lets deforest Caspian Boarder" into "Lets de-foreskin Asians".... I think my phone is a racist pervert....

I would start singing Disney, but then I would be led on a path of destruction, eventually ending up with a boyfriend who is actually a skull with Macaroni and cheese.

a la Miley Cyrus

An edit by Auto in response to a couple of images of dead Union soldiers from the US Civil War:
Not what Auto wanted to see whilst eating his breakfast.... Put me off my cheerios dammit:/

God I feel like someone just hit me over the head with a bust of Sigmund Freud :D
Fucking hell!

Pandemic 2 made me hate Madagascar more than any other country in the world.

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 11:50pm

I actually agree. Like you said Nick, just a tiny bit more time added for the bolt-action to occur is enough. Atm, a skilled sniper with SPB can dominate.

Serial Service Star Collector
Getting close to 62 mastered weapons.
Weapons with at least 1 SS: 74

Also play PC.

Date of registration
: Jan 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 11:58pm

I don't play recon, I hate getting killed by recons, I hate friendly recons that accomplish nothing from a billion miles away, I would prefer BF3 without recons.

However, given that they are here to stay and that my sniper hatred is just me being unreasonable I have felt for a while that a good way to fix (and buff because they really do suck atm) them would be to add some more attachments and separate the existing ones. All of these should go into the bipod slot and I would propose (no idea on names):
All: remove scope glint when not ADS
1. Lens guard - Eliminates scope glint.
2. Barrel stabilizer - Eliminates scope sway.
3. Straight pull bolt - leave as is.
4. Bipod - Does all of the above while active only.

Basically I do think that the SPB is OP given the competition, but that frankly in this case I think we should buff up the competition rather than nerfing the clear winner (the opposite to almost all of my other balance related views).

PS: In the end the SPB probably would need nerfing to make the other attachments viable, those numbers you quoted are pretty brutal but it feels mean to nerf the weapons further.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "WindyPlaice" (Sep 28th 2012, 12:08am)

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, September 28th 2012, 12:10am

i descope anyway, but still use the spb for this reason.
i only play with a 3.4 scope though, so bipod = no use for me.

Date of registration
: Jun 8th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Friday, September 28th 2012, 1:44am

Absolutely not. Decrease regular bolt time so the bipod is a better option. Snipers are already to crappy on this game to get any nerfs.

Contortrix

Professional Ninja

(507)

Date of registration
: May 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, September 28th 2012, 1:50am

I agree. Making the bipod a better option isn't helpful from a meta game view point.

The McGoat

The McMoose Murderer

(563)

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, September 28th 2012, 1:53am

Isn't that THE POINT IN USING A STRAIGHT PULL BOLT?
Not like it really matters anyway, dumb snipers are going to miss me every time anyway

Dice

50 Shades of Dice

(751)

Date of registration
: Dec 12th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, September 28th 2012, 1:53am

No. The SPB does little to help distant camping recons and helps those closer to the fray. Last thing I want is to start hurting those playing closer to the game and make them think twice about camping. Plus a slugged pump is more effective than a bolt anyway.

Date of registration
: Sep 22nd 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Friday, September 28th 2012, 2:03am

If the SPB was making bolt actions have semi-auto fire rate then it would need nerfing. While the strait pull bolt will make Bolt actions handle better, semi auto sniper rifles are still more comfortable. The bipod already has the no sway advantage over the SPB so it dosen't need buffing or the SPB to be nerfed.