Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:09. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 10:25pm

Differentiating Bolt-Actions

So, we all kind of agree that the bolt-actions don't have enough flavor between them. Let's start a thread to discuss how to make them more unique and different. This will, of course, get send to Demize along with other stuff before he gets the next patch (post-CQB patch) ready.

My suggestions:
M40A5
BoltActionTime 1.10->1.05
Bullet Velocity 480->460
Its role is to fire off multiple rounds back-to-back. It excels in this. This will reward players who can consistently guess drop correctly. Slightly enhanced drop is to highlight the skill necessary to wield the weapon. Rewarding with experience.

SV98
DO end distance 80->90
Min damage 50->45
This has the only purpose of preventing it from being an OHK to the upper chest in HC. It still (supposedly) gets the 2.4x Marksman Headshot multiplier so it will OHK on a headshot in any mode. This is a balance suggestion meant ONLY for HC, not for normal, as it should have no major impact in normal. The range increase is meant for flavor, mostly, as it has noticeably lower end distance than the other bolt-actions. I agree that it should be lower, but not too much lower.

L96
Bullet velocity 540->610
BoltActionTime 1.38->1.30
Serious buffs to velocity and RoF. These will changes will make it closer to comparable to the M98B as it is now but, combined with some changes to the M98B, should give it a new role all to itself. I would say 600 for the velocity but that matches too many other weapons.

M98B
Max damage 95->100
Min damage 59->60
Upper chest multiplier 1.06->1.25
DO start distance 15->5 (10?)
DO end distance 150->30 (25?)
BoltActionTime 1.30->1.35
Suppression 35%->45%
This is the biggie. The changes to range and damage don't offset the OHK to the upper chest much (17.4->17.5). At the same time, being able to hit for 100 damage allows people to kill with shots to the arms which makes it a viable weapon for "quickscoping." I feel that slow bolt time and low magazine size will make it a "high risk, high reward" weapon to play it CoD-style. In my mind, a "boom" either means a fast round or a big one. I think that the big round will be more popular with players and the enhanced suppression just helps with that goal.

Roles established by my changes:
M40: Rapid follow-up shots, works well at range in a 1vsMany situation in which the shooter can take down targets quickly with a careful application of skill.
SV98: It works well for this dreaded thing we call quickscoping due to its high mag and longer OHK range.
L96: High bullet velocity and large magazine size. The L96 functions at long range as a high-capacity weapon that can deliver sustained fire with little drop.
M98B: Some people want a 100 damage sniper rifle. This is balanced if it has a short OHK range as it only adds the ability to kill with hits to the arms. It should be used as either a high-damage weapon for kills to the arms (CQB in normal or long-range in HC) or in its current role as a high-velocity long-range sniper.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Jun 3rd 2012, 11:11pm)

Lennox 203

Slow Learner

(306)

Date of registration
: Dec 11th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 11:04pm

This is turning into WWI, people running around with bolt action rifles.

Are you trying to address bolt actions in normal mode or hardcore?
"Ain't nothin' soft or sweet, I lift you off your feet
When I cock back the heat, whole crews retreat"

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 11:07pm

These sound good to me Nick, I like that the M40 becomes more 'extreme'. I would suggest we drop the M98B bullet speed nerf - what with the L96 becomming faster we need to keep the M98B on top of it's long range game.
Forum Rules

Hey guys, lets all remember here that this is Symthic, and we are all mature enough to debate a topic without becoming emotional or insulting. Ad Hominim attacks only demonstrate that your position is weak and that you've run out of supporting evidence and serve to undermine your own position. I hope no one here drops to that level.

Quotes

[Auto's] voice is like butter on the ears

I am quite positive auto's worst fear is a forum with no threads that need to be locked.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 11:07pm

@Auto
You're right. :) Fix'd. Upped L96 to 610 though so it doesn't lose out on the high velocity.

Are you trying to address bolt actions in normal mode or hardcore?

Mainly normal, but HC is on the list of thoughts. Note the M98B's new low damage of 60.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, June 4th 2012, 4:17am

Where's the anti-material rifles?

Kidding aside, on a per shot basis, the snipers in the game actually give a sense of progressive reward.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Date of registration
: Feb 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, June 4th 2012, 4:31am

I am quite happy with the feel of the bolt rifles. They're unique in drop and bullet speed. Now the semi-autos are disappointing, with that copy and paste concept.

Please just call me, Ike.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, June 4th 2012, 5:01am

M98B: Some people want a 100 damage sniper rifle. This is balanced if it has a short OHK range as it only adds the ability to kill with hits to the arms. It should be used as either a high-damage weapon for kills to the arms (CQB in normal or long-range in HC) or in its current role as a high-velocity long-range sniper.
All this sniper-shotgun stuff is lunacy to me. Shotguns hit like bb guns, but bolt actions do better in CQCB and can snipe. So, can't support this at all.

Date of registration
: Jun 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, June 4th 2012, 5:16am

All this sniper-shotgun stuff is lunacy to me. Shotguns hit like bb guns, but bolt actions do better in CQCB and can snipe. So, can't support this at all.

Same feelings man...and right now with the crazy supression it made more sense using snipers as shotguns than actually sniping. The current OHKO range is quite big already. I'd invert the M40 and SV98 with range-damage values as the SV98 actually uses a more powerful cartrige. The 98B could get another small increase in bullet velocity and the L96 stays more or less as it is. Also the 98B should be able to disable unarmored jeeps if you shoot the engine block

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, June 4th 2012, 2:19pm

Same feelings man...and right now with the crazy supression it made more sense using snipers as shotguns than actually sniping. The current OHKO range is quite big already. I'd invert the M40 and SV98 with range-damage values as the SV98 actually uses a more powerful cartrige. The 98B could get another small increase in bullet velocity and the L96 stays more or less as it is. Also the 98B should be able to disable unarmored jeeps if you shoot the engine block

Overall, I agree, that's why the range is almost nil for the OHK.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jun 4th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Monday, June 4th 2012, 5:15pm

Sounds like the SV98 is going to be one of the best bolt-actions in close quarters cause with a chest shot it kills at a firther distance than most others.