Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "DolamiteD" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 3:32pm

SO now players can BUY the weapons and unlocks...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/03/ps3-update-live/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.battlefield.com/2012/03/ps3-update-live/</a><!-- m -->

I'm on XBOX and I am now not looking forward to this. I worked very hard to get my weapons and their unlocks. Now they're going to fucking sell them to everyone. Cash Grab.

So what is the advantage to having put in all the time and effort I have?

Now we are going to see a different kind of stat padding, people with amazing KD's from the begining, because they have all weapons, all kits, all camo.

I'm sorry, but I just can't stand this. And it takes away a lot of the excitement of private servers and the patch, for me.

DolamiteD

Date of registration
: Dec 19th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 3:36pm

Re: SO now players can BUY the weapons and unlocks...

I think you're overreacting a bit. If people aren't good enough to get the unlocks then they still won't be good after they buy them.

Cash grab? Probably... but it shouldn't have any drastic effect on your experience.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 3:40pm

Quoted from ""Greenpants""

I think you're overreacting a bit. If people aren't good enough to get the unlocks then they still won't be good after they buy them.

Cash grab? Probably... but it shouldn't have any drastic effect on your experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still smack the new people, but I had to work really hard to get those unlocks, and now they can just be bought. This doesn't ruin the game, but it DOES temper my excitement. The reason we've had to wait SO LONG for this patch is so they could figure out how to sell us a lot more stuff.

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:19pm

Gross cash grab, but who can be surprised? Figuring out ways to milk more profits out of existing content is literally irresistible to short-term profit-maximizing corporations like EA.

The only saving grace is that it doesn't break the game - you can't buy stuff that's more powerful than the unlockables, which I guess was the case in battlefield "play4free" or whatever, and at this point in the game's lifespan it's very common to have all the unlocks.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:22pm

Quoted from ""graedus""

Gross cash grab, but who can be surprised? Figuring out ways to milk more profits out of existing content is literally irresistible to short-term profit-maximizing corporations like EA.

The only saving grace is that it doesn't break the game - you can't buy stuff that's more powerful than the unlockables, which I guess was the case in battlefield "play4free" or whatever, and at this point in the game's lifespan it's very common to have all the unlocks.

I don't disagree, I just find it VERY frustrating that I worked for it, others can buy it. Should be something that cant be bought.

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 4:37pm

Would like to see what price they're asking for it first, before I judge whether I like or dislike it.
I'm thinking each bundle will be about 5,00 - 7,50. And 10,00 - 15,00 for the package.

You do have to realize that BF3 has been going for quite a few months and a lot of people have their unlocks. New players are at a disadvantage since they have inferior sights and no attachments. Things like SPB for sniper rifles take a while to unlock. I could see myself buying the package if I were too lazy to unlock it. And I might just buy the vehicle bundle. Having to fight against an opponent with superior upgrades while you have next to nothing is no fun. Stuff you don't get to ride often but every time you can, you remind yourself you have no unlocks and it's a death trap really puts me off.

Though I rather see complete new weapons, new weapon skins and camouflage for sale. I would buy that.

Date of registration
: Feb 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:23pm

The way I read it they unlock the weapons, not the attachments. And only the class weapons, not any of the secondaries, PDWs, or shotguns. That's like a 10-20 hour "start" and besides you could argue the game should have come this way to begin with.

Unlocks for vehicles don't take that long if you're any good with the vehicle (I can't fly) and useless anyway if you're not. If you're anal about getting things unlocked just drive around empty conquest servers capping points you'll get there pretty quick.

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:50pm

Had to play with the account of a friend who has nothing unlocked.
Did not changed the gameplay a bit for me.
XBOX Gametag: Kool Snaip
PTFO!

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 6:49pm

Quoted from ""DolamiteD""

I'm on XBOX and I am now not looking forward to this. I worked very hard to get my weapons and their unlocks. Now they're going to fucking sell them to everyone. Cash Grab.

So what is the advantage to having put in all the time and effort I have?
Two things here:

1. You worked hard to get weapons and unlocks? Can you give me the information of the employer that considers playing this game work? Unlock systems are meant to be fun, and give you little rewards as you go along to make the game interesting, not hard work. So if somebody decides they would rather pay more to have more fun, I say go for it - they shouldn't have to grind if they don't want to, this doesn't affect balance any because they would have gotten them eventually - grinding is a horrible game mechanic and I'm glad that we have the option to not partake if we choose to. (although I already have my unlocks, so I don't care)

2. From a competitive balance standpoint, you should not have any advantage over another player besides experience. True competitive games do not have barriers to entry like unlocks, so this change just allows people to hop over that barrier by paying more. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does allow an experienced FPS player to come in from another game, slap down a few bucks and instantly be ready for a tournament. He is still disadvantaged for not having actually played much, but that should be penalty enough.

TLDR; Unlocks are meant to be fun, and if they aren't to some people, they should be able to pay for them. We also need these as a way to reduce the barrier to entry for the game to be more competitive. If you disagree with that second point, its probably because you are disappointed at not having an advantage over newbies. (and those newbies are probably the only people you kill)

EDIT: And I didn't make up the concept of barrier to entry in competitive games. Read David Sirlin's writing on competitive fighting games here to get the idea.

Date of registration
: Feb 20th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 6:59pm

I am not opposed to being able to buy items that can be unlocked through play time. I do think it is a lousy money grubbing way to address the problem that grinding for vehicle and class essential unlocks isn't fun. I will not support this system with my money, but it doesn't bother me that someone with the cash can actually compete. I am likely to rage quit when people can buy weapons that are better then the base game's guns. Since the summer DLC is not horridly interesting to me based on its map content, this might be a problem for me, but I am willing to wait for the pricing and see how fun the maps actually are.

Edit: Now that I think about it, unlocks are part of the game. People are paying money to remove a part of the game. Is there a clearer sign that your mechanic isn't fun?