Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Samon" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, March 16th 2012, 7:37am

Shotguns!

Let's talk shotguns!

Infact I have a few questions to start with for those who know the ins and outs of this game so far.

I've read the upcoming patch details and nearly all of them sound pretty good apart from the nerfing of shotgun loads 'buckshot' and 'flachette'.

Are they really nerfing the max damage of these loads? really??

Shotguns and pistols are my favourite weapons and as much as I do love my 870 I don't think buckshot or flachette will ever be an option again.. it's hard enough as it is to kill an enemy that isn't uber close with these loads. Are they only weakening them to soften their effect on the new close quaters maps?

When I found out about those new cq maps and the addition of the spas 12 I thought maybe we'd see some love for those of us who use the proper shotguns while they nerfed that f'ing usas but as I've read deeper it seems quite the opposite. (I play on PS3, hardcore btw)

I'm sure this must bother other people aswell and knowing only frag or slug rounds will now be reasuringly lethal is a real let down as the other two options were fun and quite effective (I used flachettes). By making the shotguns two close range (and I mean CLOSE range) ammunition types barely usable it seems like they've made the shotgun become more of a medium range rifle as aposed to a corner killer and a room cleanser.

Mini rant over.

Another question for you all. With the addition of the new Spas 12 shotgun, what will it's proficiency dog tag look like? The usas for some reason seems to have adopted it already so what will it look like?

So, what shotgun do you use? what setup and why? choice of side arm with your shotgun ?

I use the 870 most, then the M1014.

With my 870 lately I've been going flachettes, extended mag and iron sights. It looks badass and does a good job at nailing close range enemies and ones at greater ranges than any of the other shotguns. I'll pick my 1911 for longer shots or what ever class extra I may have. If I'm rocking frags or slugs then either iron sights/pka hollow or night vision so I can see the campers behind windows and I'll carry the glock 18 for the close range stuff.

I think the M1014 (atleast for me) works best as a buckshot or flachette shooter as it doesn't have the close range power or accuracy comapred to the 870. I usually slap on flachettes, extended mag and kobra or iron sights. 1911 side arm.

Not a big fan of the saiga 12, not that it's bad it's just not for me. With the usas, after I got the mastery dog tag it went in the 'never use again pile'.

Dao12 is cool, looks good but is just a standard semi competeor and nothing special to me.

I wonder how the spas will feel, sound and perform?? I bet the iron sights won't be great!

Any replies/input will be greatly appreciated -:>-

cheers
Rather fond of mushrooms. 'just aim for the head'... yeah, not likely.

Platform: PS3 I am the great flag defender! 4300+ flag defends and counting!

Date of registration
: Mar 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 9:38am

Re: Shotguns!

M870, Acog, extended mag, frags. It's like having a pump action GL, it's AWESOME. It's tricky to use at range, but if you get a feel for the bullet drop, you can lob rounds very well. And there's somethin' so awesome about droping a 12G frag into someone's head past 100m. I'm sure quite a few people have thrown their controllers at the wall when I kill them with my lowly pump-action at ranges that they though they were safe.

USAS... ugh. Let me say this: The USAS is a piece of shit. Selectfire shotguns have been produced since the later 70s, and not a single military in the world has adopted them. Period. The Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 have both been used in combat since the, what, late 60s? Yet the USAS is seen as some "uber gun" by people who, generally speaking, don't know crap about firearms.

Seriously, go and check out what sort of shotguns are in use. Lots of pumps, a few semi-autos(with a pump for back up), and NO selective fire shotties.

The USAS shouldn't even be in the game, and it definitely shouldn't be as effective as it is.

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 9:44am

I also run 870MCS with flechette, though usually with laser sight, don't really see the need for ext. mag since I reload after every shot basically.

I'm curious about the patch, but I can't really say anything about it. Damage will be nerfed, but only so that it'll take 1 more pellet to get that 1-hit-kill, means you'll just have to be damn accurate but it can still be very powerful up close. The range is getting a buff though (especially for buck I think) so it might be a little better for longer range? Maybe shotties will be usable on larger maps...
But really I don't know, I'll just have to try after the patch.

Really curious about the SPAS as well, in most games it has ridiculous range, but I think it might be a 'middle ground' shotgun in BF3 with less spread than the semi-autos but more than the 870.

Date of registration
: Feb 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 10:06am

Quoted from ""Lazhward""

I'm curious about the patch, but I can't really say anything about it. Damage will be nerfed, but only so that it'll take 1 more pellet to get that 1-hit-kill, means you'll just have to be damn accurate but it can still be very powerful up close. The range is getting a buff though (especially for buck I think) so it might be a little better for longer range?

The pellet count per shot is reduced for every shotgun except the pump action.
You fire nine rather than twelve pellets. Given a completely random distribution of pellets within the cone of spread for the shotguns the damage density in the cone of fire drops about 40%.

Consider the huge spread, which is sort of the defining feature of shotguns. What difference does it make for the damage output of a shotgun to have the damage drop off later?
None.
You will do maybe five more points of damage in TOTAL, which is sort of equivalent to nothing.
There will be an accuracy buff to the buck and flechettes when aiming and the semis get better spread than the auto. How much better we don't know yet.

The only times in game the shotguns are really fun is on a shotgun only TDM server. And even there a regular side arm is better than the shotguns, they are that bad already and they are getting worse!

Don't bother unless you really like the challenge, the nerfs to shotguns and the M416 are some of the most uncalled for I've come across.

I warmed up the 1014 recently. Even though loading one round at a time takes a very long time compared to a magazine change, you are rarely completely out of ammo, like the time in between magazine changes for the saiga. There is something about the reload on the DAO that seems to take forever. I haven't quite figured out what it is yet. You can reload cancel is though, which you cant on the 1014.

Shotguns are fun, but shit. Sadly.
I have signatures turned off.

Date of registration
: Jan 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 11:14am

the M416 will not be nerfed because the comunity cried about it
I'm asking myself why nobody cried about the shotties.
I hate it when a patch changes anything more than 10%.
nerfing to death *oops*, overreakted. buffing again to imba *oooops* overreakted

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, March 16th 2012, 11:21am

The 870, in it's current iteration is a terrible weapon. I've been using frags recently, got 300 kills with that in a few days. However, it is just so unreliable! I will ALWAYS get beaten by a competent carbine user at any range because somehow they always live through my first shot with 0.5-5% health. It's fun to use, but it needs a buff IMO. The USAS, DAO and that aren't so bad because you get a second shot but the 870 requires first shot accuracy and even with it the damage is not reliable. Only reason I use it is that it looks cool and has a bit more medium range punch than my PDWs.
Forum Rules

Hey guys, lets all remember here that this is Symthic, and we are all mature enough to debate a topic without becoming emotional or insulting. Ad Hominim attacks only demonstrate that your position is weak and that you've run out of supporting evidence and serve to undermine your own position. I hope no one here drops to that level.

Quotes

[Auto's] voice is like butter on the ears

I am quite positive auto's worst fear is a forum with no threads that need to be locked.

Date of registration
: Feb 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 11:46am

I kind of liked the m1014 / dao with frags, but for magdump weapons they take awhile to reload and eat supply crates in seconds.

Switched to the Saiga, which fixes those problems, then realized it's just a worse usas.

That about sums up my experience with frag rounds

Date of registration
: Dec 10th 2011

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 12:08pm

Quoted from ""Beyertech""

I warmed up the 1014 recently. Even though loading one round at a time takes a very long time compared to a magazine change, you are rarely completely out of ammo, like the time in between magazine changes for the saiga. There is something about the reload on the DAO that seems to take forever. I haven't quite figured out what it is yet. You can reload cancel is though, which you cant on the 1014.

Shotguns are fun, but shit. Sadly.

I don't know which version you're playing, but on my PS3 I can cancel reload on my 1014 whenever I want.

Date of registration
: Mar 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 16th 2012, 12:48pm

Im pretty sure the 870 and the 1014 are the only 2 shotguns that let you fire before the reload is complete.. Not sure if it distinguishes btw reloading from totally empty or not

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, March 16th 2012, 1:03pm

Quoted from ""Year0""

Im pretty sure the 870 and the 1014 are the only 2 shotguns that let you fire before the reload is complete.. Not sure if it distinguishes btw reloading from totally empty or not

Dao as well I believe.
Forum Rules

Hey guys, lets all remember here that this is Symthic, and we are all mature enough to debate a topic without becoming emotional or insulting. Ad Hominim attacks only demonstrate that your position is weak and that you've run out of supporting evidence and serve to undermine your own position. I hope no one here drops to that level.

Quotes

[Auto's] voice is like butter on the ears

I am quite positive auto's worst fear is a forum with no threads that need to be locked.