Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, March 14th 2012, 11:03am

Re: Ballistic Computer - Sights aiming reference

A small suggestion, maybe it'd be helpful to put a figure onto the picture to represent how large a player is going to look like at different distances and zoom levels?

Date of registration
: Dec 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 2:28pm

Quoted from ""wingli""

A small suggestion, maybe it'd be helpful to put a figure onto the picture to represent how large a player is going to look like at different distances and zoom levels?

Great idea, but I think it will a lot of work to screenshot player with all scopes on all distances, maybe only 8x or 12x scope on longer distances? Or maybe you can really put fixed portrait of player in right dimensions. I don't know...

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

• "Aenonar" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, March 17th 2012, 2:43pm

Quoted from ""Hirazen""

Quoted from ""wingli""

Great idea, but I think it will a lot of work to screenshot player with all scopes on all distances, maybe only 8x or 12x scope on longer distances? Or maybe you can really put fixed portrait of player in right dimensions. I don't know...

Well, just have to get a picture of a soldier, pretend like it's the same height of an in.game soldier (most people say thats 1,7 meters, not really sure though, guess that could be measured with existing mil dots). Then just calculate how many mils that would be on various distances and rescale it to pixels and add it to the background pic (actually, any one of you could do it, mils per pixel data is available in the scope files)

Or I could code something like a range slider, input range and a picture appears showing how big the soldier would be... Been pretty busy lately though, I'll think about it :> Still haven't managed to check completely if the running adjustment is accurate... Regular running looks accurate, not sure about sprint and sprint perk...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Dec 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 18th 2012, 6:28pm

Thanks. will try out tmr

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 11:49pm

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

Quoted from ""Hirazen""

Quoted from ""wingli""

I've been thinking about this too. Perhaps we could start off with only M96 8x and 12x, should be doable in a short amount of time. I have some time to spare this week, if you are up, let me know.
14:19 KingSix: when you are peeing too much Haemoglobin, THAT's a serious issue
14:20 KingSix: ..
14:20 ToTheSun: chat killed

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 7:32pm

Fixed up range estimation background. (Separate download, replace old files)

Basically, if the soldier fits in between the aiming point and the line/edge of dot it's at X range. Annoyingly, the Russian scopes don't ave the real values... Would have been nice if the 6 line really was 600 meters etc... -.-'

Quoted

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, March 23rd 2012, 3:29pm

i don't have a pc,so,can someone make me some screen?: 1 of L96 12X bipod open and the second of the SV98 7X,third SV98 8X and 4th of SV98 12X; TTL of 1,5076923 seconds.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration
: Mar 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, March 30th 2012, 7:28pm

The tool doesnt seem to account for custom Field of View settings. The highier Fov the smaller visual bullet drop. Otherwise awesome work.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, March 30th 2012, 7:35pm

Quoted from ""ghoulpl""

The tool doesnt seem to account for custom Field of View settings. The highier Fov the smaller visual bullet drop. Otherwise awesome work.

70 FOV default, the difference between 70 and 90 is minimal when ADS though, sight elevation should actually be the same.. Probably... I'll do some tests later :>

Quoted

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2011

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Sunday, April 1st 2012, 9:06am

Quoted from ""9C1""

Thanks for all the hard work OP.

I'm a long time Lurker. I've been around since the very early days of this site (and long before during the good old BF2 days) and to those who put work in to make this place such a good resource of info, I thank you!

Anyway, one thing you also have to consider is that your lead time for a moving target will change depending on the angle that your target is running. It is rare that your target will be running perfectly perpendicular to you, and so this is another variable which you may not be able to consider in your equations. Of course it is POSSIBLE to come up with an algorithm for this however to be able to do these calculations in your head within a 2 second window or so that a target presents itself clearly is probably going to be impossible. Unfortunately those kinds of shots on a moving target will have to be one in which you rely on your instincts.

A rough outline that you did for the 12x scope is definetly helpful though. It gives you a starting point from which to go on, an educated guess, and then you go withyour gut after that. Honestly attempting to hit a moving target from over 500m away is probably a waste of time anyway. It can be done, however I feel that a sniper is most valuable in the 200 - 300 meter range in this game.

Generally speaking, I play a DMR type role, or an aggressive PTFO recon with a bolt action / 4x ACOG / straight bolt or M39 / 3.4x and try to stick with my squad and give them long range accurate supporting fire taking out key targets such as other snipers which are a threat and emplaced support gunners. When I feel like doing some long range shooting however, I like to be within 500 meters of my target. I generally settle in and take some time getting good "dope" on my rifle. I'll fire a few rounds off at buildings / landmarks of unknown range which are high volume areas in order to get a feel for how the ballistics work out and so I can do some rough range estimation for targets which present themselves.

This is how the real marksmen do it essentially because there are simply too many variables to account for. No rifle in the world has the same terminal ballistics in every environment and can be used with perfect accuracy. The humidity, temperature, sea-level altitude, whether it is a cold bore shot or not, angle of elevation, and obvious things such as wind, flight time...etc are all factors that change in every single AO in the world. The people who do this for a living keep a "dope" book with their rifle at all times which is essentially a log which keeps track of all those variables listed above (and many more), that the operator has ever used this specific rifle in. Until a marksmen has had a real chance to actually fire the rifle from his hide or vantage point, and get actual feedback from his spotter, the first shot is essentially a very educated, however often inaccurate guess.

Anyway, I guess the point I am trying to make is that with moving targets at these ranges, there is always going to be quite a bit of guesswork. The best advice that I can give is take a few shots at landmarks at varying distances in your field of fire and take note of how many mils the round drops, and get a feel for the flight time. Once you have 3 or 4 landmarks pegged, then you should have a pretty good starting point for engaging targets within, or around these landmarks.

I could not have said this better myself. I cannot stress the "uncertainty" and guesstimate work of sniping enough, though I greatly appreciate Aeon's desire to seek the more logical and scientific approach of sniping in BF3.

I find myself taking what I call "visual range test shots" where I attempt to make minute mathematical ranges and mostly visual (i.e the round lands on this dot, at this range, elevation and at this speed" etc. I am constantly taking test shot everywhere and memorizing ranges and visuals as they relate to ranges. I also like to always be concious as well of actual sniping techs (such as COH Harrison's taking a few shots to get range on his famous extreme range kill)

In any event a great topic and post. This generally the exact mentality I have regarding sniping in BF3.