Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Mar 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, March 5th 2012, 1:50am

Re: Ballistic Computer - Sights aiming reference

Would love some human sized targets on different ranges, maybe even standing and crouching.

Date of registration
: Mar 5th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Monday, March 5th 2012, 5:16am

Thanks for all the hard work OP.

I'm a long time Lurker. I've been around since the very early days of this site (and long before during the good old BF2 days) and to those who put work in to make this place such a good resource of info, I thank you!

Anyway, one thing you also have to consider is that your lead time for a moving target will change depending on the angle that your target is running. It is rare that your target will be running perfectly perpendicular to you, and so this is another variable which you may not be able to consider in your equations. Of course it is POSSIBLE to come up with an algorithm for this however to be able to do these calculations in your head within a 2 second window or so that a target presents itself clearly is probably going to be impossible. Unfortunately those kinds of shots on a moving target will have to be one in which you rely on your instincts.

A rough outline that you did for the 12x scope is definetly helpful though. It gives you a starting point from which to go on, an educated guess, and then you go withyour gut after that. Honestly attempting to hit a moving target from over 500m away is probably a waste of time anyway. It can be done, however I feel that a sniper is most valuable in the 200 - 300 meter range in this game.

Generally speaking, I play a DMR type role, or an aggressive PTFO recon with a bolt action / 4x ACOG / straight bolt or M39 / 3.4x and try to stick with my squad and give them long range accurate supporting fire taking out key targets such as other snipers which are a threat and emplaced support gunners. When I feel like doing some long range shooting however, I like to be within 500 meters of my target. I generally settle in and take some time getting good "dope" on my rifle. I'll fire a few rounds off at buildings / landmarks of unknown range which are high volume areas in order to get a feel for how the ballistics work out and so I can do some rough range estimation for targets which present themselves.

This is how the real marksmen do it essentially because there are simply too many variables to account for. No rifle in the world has the same terminal ballistics in every environment and can be used with perfect accuracy. The humidity, temperature, sea-level altitude, whether it is a cold bore shot or not, angle of elevation, and obvious things such as wind, flight time...etc are all factors that change in every single AO in the world. The people who do this for a living keep a "dope" book with their rifle at all times which is essentially a log which keeps track of all those variables listed above (and many more), that the operator has ever used this specific rifle in. Until a marksmen has had a real chance to actually fire the rifle from his hide or vantage point, and get actual feedback from his spotter, the first shot is essentially a very educated, however often inaccurate guess.

Anyway, I guess the point I am trying to make is that with moving targets at these ranges, there is always going to be quite a bit of guesswork. The best advice that I can give is take a few shots at landmarks at varying distances in your field of fire and take note of how many mils the round drops, and get a feel for the flight time. Once you have 3 or 4 landmarks pegged, then you should have a pretty good starting point for engaging targets within, or around these landmarks.
PS3/4 Support player Need Ammo?

B log: Progression - Sgt_Shasta - Battlelog
/ Battlefield 4

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, March 5th 2012, 6:15am

Great Job!

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, March 5th 2012, 9:14am

My god Aenonar...I can't believe how much you are doing! This is truly GREAT. Thank you.

Ill test it out and give back any feedback I can that may help you.

I'm coming for your tags. You have been warned.
Ranking Score -- Top 1%
Dogtags -- Top 1%
Knife kills -- Top 3%
BF3 Stats

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

• "Aenonar" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Monday, March 5th 2012, 10:50am

v1.2 is up with an attempt at bullet lead for running and sprinting targets

Noticed that I missed multiplying the distance with 2, so it was a bit off... Now it *should* be "correct"... Maybe... Lack of drag is the probable cause of the weird identical lead values...

(((soldier speed * bullet travel time to distance) / ((((range * 2) * 3,14159265)/360)/60))/3,375)

Quoted from ""BattleAxeRX""

I get a .net framework initialization error.
unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.

I just repaired my .net 4 to see if that would fix it and it didn't... i'll keep trying things, but anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Also, my first post. Thank you all for all your contributions, this is the ultimate BF3 sight IMO and I'm glad to be here. Peace. -8D-

Never seen that error before : / Maybe if the files were moved from their original folder structure or something.. Though shouldn't result in such an error ;>

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Feb 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, March 5th 2012, 1:26pm

I said it in chat already, in case you missed it, forum post.

I am happy to report that your program also work on my lubuntu machine. I use mono to run it and almost everything seems to work as intended. The only issue I can find is that the screen is too big for the resolution I use, so I miss the right hand side (debug?) text. The components on screen seem absolute because resizing does not help.

In any case, good job.

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 3:14pm

I found this much more useful than the information you used to make this with lol.
I read the whole person is this high page before but its much more comprehensible in this format.

Now putting it into action is another matter entirely.

Thanks for the info though.

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 7:41pm

Stickied because Aenonar is the fucking man.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

• "Aenonar" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Thursday, March 8th 2012, 10:14pm

When making the database for this I just added all the data from the charts and data files, but when testing the shotguns the data just didn't add up (tested frags) so I removed them from the loading list.

Did some more testing today with fraps and found that the speed data varies depending on the round loaded. Usually the buck/fleckette/slug is at 300 m/s, but the frag is at only 150 m/s. 3 second time to live though so 450 max range. The speed data is listed in each individual shotgun instead of the ammo itself like normal.

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, March 13th 2012, 5:47pm

Oh goodness...thank you for this topic! lol.