Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

• "Aenonar" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 1:13pm

Ballistic Computer - Sights aiming reference

Finally got it into somewhat working condition. Some anomalies remain (non-snipers with 12x scope looks like it has less bullet drop for some reason...)

Based on the data from this document (or well, "inspired" might be more appropriate...)
Battlefield 3 ballistics

And yeah, since it's a beta (probably wont ever go above beta) it would be good if you'd double check the aiming reference juuuust to be sure that it's correct for the weapon and scope you're using. I've tested it as much as I could, but there's just some weird stuff floating around, like the 12x scopes on non-snipers...

If you want to reduce the list of weapons or scopes, just remove them from the Sights.txt or Weapons.txt. It's basically an inventory list of available files in the sights and weapons folder.. Which also means that you can add new weapons and sights as long as you name them appropriately.

If you have a specific weapon you want to use and the sights don't completely match up you can edit the scope calibration it their files.

Basically: reduce mildot or increase pixels = bigger gaps, and vise versa. Originally intended to use the mildot values from the spreadsheet and compare it to pixels on screen, but some values just wasn't right... Anything written below the first 2 lines is ignored, so you can write notes or whatever you want there.

Since it's in C# code you need windows, or at least some .NET 2.0+ emulator.. (Can you even play BF3 on linux etc?)

That's about it I guess.. Feedback would be great.

Added running and sprinting speed, which looks kinda awkward since it's almost exactly the same (pixels ends up the same) on all ranges.. But I'm guessing that it's caused by the lack of drag, which would slow down bullets over longer ranges requiring more lead...

I *think* the formula is accurate, and it looks pretty accurate compared to my own experiences... Though there are so many angles to consider that it's hard to know for sure. Haven't had a chance to accurately test it in game.

Note that this is if the target is running exactly perpendicular to you, and angle and the lead will be less. So you still have to guesstimate a bit...

Beta v1.2.4
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1n4is06656…uter_v1.2_4.rar

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

This post has been edited 7 times, last edit by "Aenonar" (Feb 8th 2013, 10:52am)

Date of registration
: Jan 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 2:26pm

Re: Ballistic Computer - Sights aiming reference

Another great project from Aeonar

Also you forgot to mention that you tested it empirically if I understood your snips about it on chat :)

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 4:05pm

Yep, been running around all over operation firestorm shooting targets at measured ranged to make sure all the numbers and aim references match. Got a perfect 1shot 1611 meter headshot thanks to it. (Though had a bit of help from the enemy calling out his distance to an objective and added it up to my own distance to the objective..)

If anyone wants to help me get the absolute max distance headshot to double check, just give me a call :P

Quoted

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 4:10pm

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

...just give me a call :P

i'm up
14:19 KingSix: when you are peeing too much Haemoglobin, THAT's a serious issue
14:20 KingSix: ..
14:20 ToTheSun: chat killed

Date of registration
: Mar 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 4th 2012, 7:33am

Registered to give you big THUMBS UP! This is awesome!

All that is missing is enemy's height in scope to guess distance. Thats what russian scopes have curve on left for but it probably out of whack as well.

Perhaps run speed references for leading running targets for future release?

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 4th 2012, 9:07am

I thought about adding height reference, but the furthest distance you can really measure with the scopes solid dots is ~283 meters. I guess I could divide it up into smaller chunks by using the lines generated.. But the question is, would anyone actually be able to use that while playing?

Like the 12x pic in the first post, the first mildot line is basically chopped up in 5, would it be possible for someone to measure that someone is 1/5 of a line accurately? 1/5 would be 1416.6 meters, but if you're 1 pixel off it would be 1545.45 meters or 1307.7 meters which is pretty significant :>

(Plus, the lines are so bunched together that it's hard to fit in the auto generated text labels without clipping each other)

Maybe just add height reference to the solid lines for quick reference :>

As for running speed: There are quite a few different speeds available.. Like normal running, ADS walking, sprinting and perk sprinting. Plus moving vehicles which I kinda like sniping at :>

Got the speed data here: http://symthic.com/f/viewtopic.php?p=3928#p3928

Maybe go for both sprint and normal running... Not sure how cluttered it would be though..

Quoted

Date of registration
: Mar 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 4th 2012, 9:35am

Probably would be inaccurate, but you normally get only 1 shot and if you miss... maybe stick with pso-7x as it got height curve, if its any usefull

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 4th 2012, 11:20am

Uh yeah... tried to figure out some formula for running speed.. Pretty damn confusing.. the only mil-dot counting tutorials I found were in feet and inches... <.< *bashes Americans for using stupid outdated measuring systems*

Ended up with a formula looking like this, calculating minutes per angle etc.. But it doesn't feel quite right...

(((soldier speed * bullet travel time to distance) / (((range * 3,14159265)/360)/60))/3,375)

3.375 is apparently the magical number for minutes of angle to mil dot...

So M98B vs sprinting target at 517 meters would be about

(((6,45*0,77) / (((517 * 3,14159265)/360)/60))/3,375) = 19,5699627 mils = 195,699627 pixels on 12x scope...

Which makes it look like this for running and sprinting speeds...

From my own experience, at the first mil dot (517 meters) the already existing bar is almost exactly where you should aim for a running shot. Though it often ends up in a near miss, so it might just be a visual trick that the shot is close and I really should have aimed even further ahead... Range might have been off as well.

Plus it feels a bit awkward that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines are identical... Sure it's far away and the target has to run further but... exactly the same? That would be pure luck :>

Ugh... all this reverse thinking is messing up my head ;o

Some practical test would be needed to see how far off this test data is...

Quoted

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, March 4th 2012, 5:42pm

Thanks for the great work Aenonar! This is extremely useful for engaging enemies at longer range. :)

Date of registration
: Mar 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, March 5th 2012, 12:34am

I get a .net framework initialization error.
unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application.

I just repaired my .net 4 to see if that would fix it and it didn't... i'll keep trying things, but anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Also, my first post. Thank you all for all your contributions, this is the ultimate BF3 sight IMO and I'm glad to be here. Peace. -8D-