Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Ecasx" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, February 27th 2012, 9:02pm

Some Recon Tips from an experienced player

**These are tips for using the recon class effectively with bolt-action snipers**

I myself had a lot of trouble with getting to be a good sniper. Admittedly I'm not great right now, but I'm still pretty skilled at it. You'll obviously know that sniping is very hard in the battlefield series, so I thought I'd share a few tips that I'd recommend to anyone who sucks at sniping, or wants to get good at it (as well as a few recon tips).

1. Always aim for a headshot. At first I wasn't good enough to pick off headshots, so I always opted for 2 body shots instead. But unsurprisingly it failed. Get used to getting headshots - you'll get used to it and will and your aim will be very quick. The best thing you can do is to get headshots very quickly. So ,unless you know that the enemy is on low health, aim for a headshot. Always.

2. Use the sniper you're best with. Every sniper has different bullet drop, and getting used to one gun then switching can be difficult. Just get used to the sniper that you tend to get the best results with, there really isn't significant difference between the snipers' performances anyway so don't be worried that you might be at a disadvantage. It all comes down to personal preference - my personal favourite is the M98B, as I'm used to the minimal bullet drop that it has, although, because it only has 6 bullets, it may not be for you!

3. Use your motion sensor. If you think you're at a place that you'll be staying at for a while, it's always best to place down that motion sensor. This way, you will not be flanked and will always have the element of surprise on your enemies. Also, while capping a flag or doing something similar the motion sensor comes in extremely handy. Currently the MAV is a better motion sensor than the T-UGS (will be fixed with the patch), but it is much harder to hide and takes longer to deploy, so I would personally suggest a T-UGS.

4. Aiming for moving targets; you will be bad at the start, but don't give up hope! Simply aim at the place where the enemy's head will be in a short moment, and the rest is timing. It is quite difficult - it will need practice. I'm considerably good at this, although I feel I need to improve. Remember, don't only 'predict and time' on running targets; this will work on players who are also sidestepping or doing something similar. The worst thing to do is to wait for the player to stay still - it can pay off sometimes, but like I said previously quick shots, although they require a lot of skill, are something you should get used to.

5. Sniper vs Sniper. First of all, you'll need to be good at estimating the bullet drop. It's actually relatively easy once you get used to your sniper, so don't be that worried if you've just started. Now, the key in this is to get a quick shot. If the enemy is just staring at your place, remember that he can only look at one place at one time. Play about with him - pop out of different places, stay out in the open only for a little bit of time trying to get your aim, and if you DO get your aim - by all means shoot - but if you DON'T pop back into cover. As I said, the key is a quick shot. If you stay out too long without getting a good aim, you risk having being shot at. Confuse the enemy here - he is at a disadvantage, because he is staying still aiming at you while you have the cover and you essentially control the tide of the 'Sniper vs Sniper Battle'.

6. Use a straight pull bolt. Simply reason why. With a bipod you'll be camping, and will be a still target. I myself can kill any sniper foolish enough to get a bipod. In a sniper vs sniper, I'd simply be sidestepping trying to get my aim - and he will be waiting for me to stop. But then I'd abruptly stop and BAM, headshot. No time to react, because I have the advantage. He is a sitting duck - he can't move - but I can. Also, you don't want to be a camper, right? So slap on that straight pull bolt!

That's all I can think of for now, and I hope it's useful. I started off as a camping sniper, just getting used to getting headshots and the lot. But then I started getting much quicker headshots much closer to the action. You will improve significantly and, anyway, sniping in BF3 is so satisfying!

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, February 27th 2012, 10:05pm

Re: Some Recon Tips from an experienced player

"Simply reason why. With a bipod you'll be camping,"

-_-
before this phrase i minded you are a good sniper with good meaning,than no,you are at least a good scout,(doing quick shot and move a lot is what do a scout,the sniper stay at long distance (150+ meters) defending an objective with talking at the team what's happening where they can't see),so please,don't say that use a bipod makes you a camper cause it's really different,(the camper stay in angle where people go frequently,with his lmg or USAS pointed at the door)and,it's already possible to win a sniper fight with the bipod,when you see him,make suppressing fire,most of the time the enemy search a cover and you get lost from her sight line,in that moment,get down,place the bipod,take aim and when he take his head out shot,no fear if you don't get him and he shot you,you're probably at a distance(3-400 M+)sufficient to avoid his shot.
and last,there's a glitch on the L96 that if you place a bipod the zoom will become slightly bigger.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 6:08pm

Quoted from ""Ecasx""

4. Aiming for moving targets; you will be bad at the start, but don't give up hope! Simply aim at the place where the enemy's head will be in a short moment, and the rest is timing. It is quite difficult - it will need practice.

Do you move the crosshairs with the target or keep them still and wait for the target to reach it?

BTW, people need to stop complaining about camping so much. There's a difference between camping and tactically emplacing your weapon. War wasn't meant to be fair.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 10:28pm

Quoted from ""kataklism""

"Simply reason why. With a bipod you'll be camping,"

-_-
before this phrase i minded you are a good sniper with good meaning,than no,you are at least a good scout,(doing quick shot and move a lot is what do a scout,the sniper stay at long distance (150+ meters) defending an objective with talking at the team what's happening where they can't see),so please,don't say that use a bipod makes you a camper cause it's really different,(the camper stay in angle where people go frequently,with his lmg or USAS pointed at the door)and,it's already possible to win a sniper fight with the bipod,when you see him,make suppressing fire,most of the time the enemy search a cover and you get lost from her sight line,in that moment,get down,place the bipod,take aim and when he take his head out shot,no fear if you don't get him and he shot you,you're probably at a distance(3-400 M+)sufficient to avoid his shot.
and last,there's a glitch on the L96 that if you place a bipod the zoom will become slightly bigger.

Bipod is nowhere near as useful as straight pull bolt. For one, the bipod has a very limited view range, and plus, it doesn't take much skill to hold your breath and shoot within 5 seconds. 'It's already possible to win a sniper fight with the bipod'. Of course it's 'possible'. My point is, no-one with a bipod will ever be able to get me because, if you suppress me, I will stay in cover until you stop. Then I will play around with you, coming out of different places, so no, you will not get a headshot on me as soon as I peek out. Eventually I will get you while I come out of somewhere you didn't expect. Quite simply, really, bipod is not very useful unless you're very new to sniping. As I said previously it isn't difficult to get headshots by holding your breath... You will have plenty of time.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 10:35pm

Quoted from ""dietcoketm""

Quoted from ""Ecasx""

4. Aiming for moving targets; you will be bad at the start, but don't give up hope! Simply aim at the place where the enemy's head will be in a short moment, and the rest is timing. It is quite difficult - it will need practice.

Do you move the crosshairs with the target or keep them still and wait for the target to reach it?

BTW, people need to stop complaining about camping so much. There's a difference between camping and tactically emplacing your weapon. War wasn't meant to be fair.

Quoted from ""Ecasx""

I keep them still where the enemy's head will be in a short moment. When they reach it, fire.

By the way, I didn't want to make it out that I was complaining about camping. Sorry for that, but by 'camping' I mainly meant staying completely still, making you a sitting duck (I said this happens when using a bipod). And plus, most snipers' camping isn't tactically waiting, as many people would agree. It's just being a useless cunt and not PTFOing. However, when practicing, I myself did camp to a certain extent, for I wasn't very good. When you're not very good and are still getting used to it, stay back a bit but not too much that you don't benefit the team. You will probably die a lot - I did myself.

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 2:05pm

Quoted from ""Ecasx""

Nah, that wasn't just directed at you.

Date of registration
: Feb 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 4:28pm

There's a difference between camping and tactically emplacing your weapon. War wasn't meant to be fair.

Call it whatever makes you feel good. Camping outside cap radius or in a spot where you can't reliably kill every MF that runs to steal the flag from your team makes it camping in the traditional noobs-are-camping-sense.

If someone sits in the same corner entrenched behind claymores with the bipod out, he's only gonna kill someone once and then someone is going to lay waste to him, so I don't mind the least about that. What bothers me is people who aren't capping enemy flags or reliably protecting the ones we already have. Recons in particular don't seem to know how efficient that flag superiority is for winning a game of conquest, neither do they realize that you can't arm an MCOM from 100 m away and you can't run to it fast enough from your current sniping spot to make it there before the enemies do. Battlefield in all objective based game modes is about ground, gaining ground in particular and any kind of stationary team mate isn't gaining ground, hence the across-the-board-sniper-hate/love-for-up-front-recons.

15 kills with a bolt action in a game won't even out the one noob who protected that one flag superiority for 60 seconds. And man oh man is it rare to see someone wielding a bolt action within cap radius. Seeing them with the lunchbox out on the top of a hill taking pot shots however... now THAT'S a common sight. The latter aren't tactically emplaced if they think they are covering a flag. If anyone from the opposing team runs to the flag and (let's say magically) survives getting shot at, the recon in question isn't in a position to stop the recap 'cause he's too far away to make it in time and isn't placed inside cap radius to block the cap until he's killed or until the enemy team gets reinforced.

Blocking a cap for four seconds if your team has one flag superiority is equal to one kill. Eight seconds amounts to two kills et cetera. And that is just the waiting alone. Time is what conquest is all about and recons aren't time efficient from a DISTANCE. Up close however... they are tha shizznizz!
Beacons and MAVS are the single most time efficient gadgets in the game but sniper players fail to realize how these things can push an entire squad up instantaneously and provide enough info on enemies no one can see so they won't get close quarters advantages over you.
They sit on a fuckin' hill tactically emplaced; spotting (maybe). Spotting can be done from the ground as well mind you, the recon has no advantage spotting wise on the mountain, that advantage comes into play, again, at close quarters.

That's why camping is frowned upon, because it does squat for the team. Tactical camping or not...
When snipers start putting their asses inside cap radius' and provide actual useful spawn locations then I'll give them the thumbs up. At this moment I only have respect for the recons who are down in the mud PTFO'ing with the rest of us, whether they are wielding shotties, PDW's or bolt actions.

Automatic rifles can shoot full auto, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to shoot full auto.
Sniper rifles can shoot over very long distances, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to shoot at long distances.

Campers.... BAH!
I have signatures turned off.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:09pm

Beyertech, totally agree. You aren't much use if you cannot play recon aggresively. Then one might argue that the 'camping' sniper is sitting back and spotting and crap, but wouldn't he be more useful if he was equipped with an assault rifle and was an extra man on the front line? You don't need a person back there spotting - it isn't much use!

However it is the hardest playstyle in the game and I don't fully blame people who are getting to grasps with sniping by camping.

Date of registration
: Feb 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:20pm

The bipod gets little love from the self-proclaimed pros. One thing straight pull bolt really does for you is it lets you line up for a follow up shot while you're reloading. Over large distances - say over 600m - that doesn't matter that much anyway - it'll be more than two seconds for the second round to come after the first one buzzed by. Most players (read: anyone other than other snipers who clearly think they're better) will be running zigzags from that point on.

Bipod forces the one shot one kill mentality, because if you miss that shot is gone and for the most part you have to look for other targets. Likely from a different spot. Straight pull is a 3 second crutch at long distances - since that's how long it takes to steady.

Short distances, clearly the roles are reversed, because usually you don't have a clear exit strategy from your spot other than killing the other guy as quickly as possible and absolute steady aim is not required, at least not as much as fastest possible reload.

I think they got the two unlocks reversed, it's much harder to deal with the bipod than a straight pull bolt. Yet I feel the bipod has benefits and is there for those who want them.

So what I'm trying to say is, there's no clearly better thing. You swap between bolt and bipod depending on situation, just like you swap the scopes. Which is how it should be anyway. And if it isn't then DICE should buff or nerf either one, otherwise what was the point of spending the money making the inferior thing.

Now a useful final accessory would be useful. I have an idea, an M320. I kid.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:39pm

Quoted from ""levk""

The bipod gets little love from the self-proclaimed pros. One thing straight pull bolt really does for you is it lets you line up for a follow up shot while you're reloading. Over large distances - say over 600m - that doesn't matter that much anyway - it'll be more than two seconds for the second round to come after the first one buzzed by. Most players (read: anyone other than other snipers who clearly think they're better) will be running zigzags from that point on.

When have you ever got a 600m kill on a person who wasn't another camping sniper? I would like to know - because it's extremely difficult, and that's why that point is not valid. I mean, the bipod is obviously good for getting a headshot on a sniper who is STILL, but then again, is that much of a benefit to the team?

Quoted from ""levk""

Bipod forces the one shot one kill mentality, because if you miss that shot is gone and for the most part you have to look for other targets. Likely from a different spot. Straight pull is a 3 second crutch at long distances - since that's how long it takes to steady.

It certainly will help towards a 'one shot one kill mentality', but look at what you said. 'If you miss that shot is gone and for the most part you have to look for other targets. Likely from a different spot.' YES! Likely from a different spot! One thing the bipod doesn't have is mobility. So, pretend that our target ran away because we missed. We take our bipod, travel to another spot, and have the trouble of redeploying it for that bonus of no scope sway. Which is pointless! It's slow play! It's more towards the camping side, which is not always bad, but usually is. You might say there's no need to redeploy the thing after moving, but then again, that's what the bipod is meant for.

Now do you concede that straight pull bolt is the pro's choice?