Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "T-BAG_Commando" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, February 27th 2012, 7:57pm

Cursing in BF3

I've seen more cursing in this online multiplayer game than any other.

I'm writing this because I threw a grenade the other day and got a double kill with it. As my soldier threw the grenade he yelled "Take that fuckin' shit you assholes!" I had never heard a character say that, but i loved it.

Perhaps you also think this is amazing? Or maybe you strongly dislike it?

The things I more commonly hear are...
"Those cocksuckers are here!" -An American Engineer's response to RU presence and shooting at him.

"I'm gonna kill all of them!" -Likely an American Medic Battlecry (All these voices are done by white men, even though the American medic is African American and looks like the Actor LANCE REDDICK)

"I'm gonna bring the rain of pain on 'em!" -Likely an attacking Support Gunner.

"Heads down, Frag out!" -Someone tossing a frag grenade

"Somebody's gotta step it up I can't do a goddam thing!" -Someone being suppressed

"...Enemy Anti Tank team." -An Engineers response to the spotting of an enemy Engineer.

"They got a Machine gun quit messing around!" -Someone spotting an enemy support gunner

"Not your time yet my brother I'm bringing you back." -Medic reviving someone

"Don't fall apart now your squad members are depending on you!"-Medic reviving someone

"Thanks Doc your a lifesaver" -A revived soldier

When the game first came out, pre patch, the RU medic would yell a curse almost every time he would revive someone. He'd say
"Get a load of this you assholes!"
"Take that you motherfucker"
Dice reportedly removed it because it was offending people !?! -Source MP1st.com

Theres too much to write. Please comment on your experiences and thoughts.

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, February 27th 2012, 8:06pm

Re: Cursing in BF3

i like it, i'm not offended by swearing and it makes the game feel more realistic and immersive.

Date of registration
: Feb 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 8:17pm

Anyone to dislike the swearing would be a fool. Not only does it add a touch of realism, we, the players, aren't meant to be the type that can't handle swearing.

Date of registration
: Jan 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 8:33pm

What this poll should have touched on was all the stupid servers out there with auto-kick for cursing enabled. That shit is so stupid. Why the HELL would anyone be offended by some text on the screen that they may or may not even see?

I had one admin ask me: "Do you have kids?"
Me: "Yes, both very young girls."
Him: "Then you understand"
Me: "My girls are not allowed and wouldn't want to play FPS games, anyway, just like yours shouldn't if bad language is all that important to you."

Think about it. The daughter that is most impressionable is the youngest, and she can't even read yet. Why the hell would I let her in the room when I'm playing a game that yells out FUCK, SHIT and ASSHOLE every couple seconds!?!? Morons. It's like the media.....we can show sex, drugs and violence all day on TV, but the minute someone wants to use the F or S word, it gets shut down instantly and shown the door.

Monday, February 27th 2012, 9:25pm

The swearing doesn't offend me and is actually quite mild compared to the chatbox.

BFBC2 was far more ludicrous in this regard. Having an auto chat-censor that disabled you to even type sh*t, but at the same time soldiers were merrily harmonizing 'waste the m*th€rfµck*rs'
14:19 KingSix: when you are peeing too much Haemoglobin, THAT's a serious issue
14:20 KingSix: ..
14:20 ToTheSun: chat killed

Date of registration
: Feb 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 9:47pm

i believe the main reason why servers would use a censor is to dissuade players from using profanity against each other and start a flame war in chat.

otherwise there really isn't a reason that doesn't border on hyporisy, what with the game's flavorful audio.

Date of registration
: Feb 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 10:06pm

Personally, I'm more offended by some tween in my squad singing "I'm sexy and I know it" into the mic while we're trying to take objectives. (the rest of us spontaneously switched to a new squad without saying a word)

Date of registration
: Feb 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 10:19pm

If you have ever been in or seen video of combat where the adrenaline is off the charts, you know it sounds the same or even worse. I loves the audio. Especially on the RU side with the accent, its hilarious.

P.S. They should also say, "If you don't like it, then fuck off."

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 11:33pm

I don't mind the swearing and I don't feel offended by it, however in some occassions it seems too forced for my taste. To take an extreme example from above: the six-word line "Take that fuckin' shit you assholes!" with 50% swearword content is neither informational nor badass in my eyes.
I prefer the lines with more flowing or "functional" swearwords like in "Somebody's gotta step it up I can't do a goddam thing!"
In the game I hardly notice though, except on few occassions when several soldiers coincidentally yell the swear lines in a bundle, that once or twice I found it.. well.. not neccessary, that's all.

Quoted from ""TERAKAIJER""

If you have ever been in or seen video of combat where the adrenaline is off the charts, you know it sounds the same or even worse.
Good argument, but as I'm an average well-raised couch-potato, I could do without as well ;)

Concluding: I don't mind it, but don't need it. Leave it in though, as people should be mature enough to accept it as a part of the setting. I'm shooting people in the face too, and that's not exactly polite either!

Still concerning the server swear-kick:

Quoted from ""snuggans""

i believe the main reason why servers would use a censor is to dissuade players from using profanity against each other and start a flame war in chat.
I guess that's the whole point. In the game's audio the soldiers swear. In the chat window the user does the swearing and it's just an attempt by some servers to limit abusive behave and keep things civil.

Quoted from ""Trippalhealicks""

I had one admin ask me: "Do you have kids?"
Me: "Yes, both very young girls."
Him: "Then you understand"
In this particular case the admin seems to have a different motivation, apparently opposing in general to swearwords, but as usual: their server, their f*!$ing rules ;)

• "T-BAG_Commando" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 27th 2012, 11:42pm

I agree with you guys utterly. If I had kids I wouldn't even let them play FPS games. But I do enjoy this unprecedented voice acting. But I was hoping you guys would comment more with curses your characters have said than nearly all just thoughts.