Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "MegaMoule" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 10th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 6:39pm

Burst fire

I'm having trouble seeing the use of the Burst fire mode on guns. I'm almost always shooting bursts, but I do it manually by tapping the fire button. The few times I've used the burst fire mode, I have seen no advantage in using it. Shed some light on me

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 6:47pm

Re: Burst fire

Quoted from ""MegaMoule""

I'm having trouble seeing the use of the Burst fire mode on guns. I'm almost always shooting bursts, but I do it manually by tapping the fire button. The few times I've used the burst fire mode, I have seen no advantage in using it. Shed some light on me

Most guns it doesn't do that much for. However, the AN-94 has a higher burst ROF (2X) than full auto ROF. Additionally, it sounds like the new patch is giving the burst fire versions of the M16 and M4 a different recoil pattern compared to the full auto gun - so that might make a difference. Other guns however, like the A91 don't really feel improved burst vs manual burst.

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 6:49pm

I find it easier to "burst" on full auto so your ready to go full auto if you need to drop someone close to you quickly who suprises you, im just used to doing it from bad company 2, of all the guns that have full auto and burst mode, only the an94 seems to work well with it compared to full auto.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,795)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 7:04pm

Burst is more to stop "stupid humans" from holding down the trigger too long, ruining the aim

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 8:13pm

I believe the main reason burst-fire was introduced was because of all the ammunition wasted on full-auto in Vietnam.

It's faster between shots and encourages reacquiring the target instead of spraying and praying. I find that if you aim for the center of a target on burst, the recoil can place the the last shot in the head.

Date of registration
: Jan 19th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 8:44pm

My guess is that burst fire was added for the sake of authenticity. Since IRL one hit = enemy down, it is okay to fire in burst/semi automatic for lethal accurate fire and suppression. Even automatic gunners running 249s are encouraged to fire in bursts to conserve ammo.

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 24th 2012, 1:25am

Quoted from ""dabanhfreak""

Even automatic gunners running 249s are encouraged to fire in bursts to conserve ammo.

And so that you don't literally melt the barrel. Good thing in BF3 you can fire 200 rounds using extended mags without stopping. I've actually rushed in like that when everyone is too scared to move up in Metro and just started spraying bullets at everything and survived a good while. I'm not sure if that was because I was doing a good job or if they were surprised how stupid I was. Anyway, I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger with a damn gatling gun when I use that thing.

Date of registration
: Dec 27th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Friday, February 24th 2012, 1:39am

Quoted from ""dietcoketm""

I've actually rushed in like that when everyone is too scared to move up in Metro and just started spraying bullets at everything and survived a good while. I'm not sure if that was because I was doing a good job or if they were surprised how stupid I was. Anyway, I feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger with a damn gatling gun when I use that thing.

I love when I'm getting ready to move in on the ticket booth and some support guy just starts unloading 200 rounds at the enemy. I know he's either going to kill them, suppress them, or make himself a distraction that takes the focus off of me.

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 24th 2012, 2:05am

It's too much of a handicap using burst, to me.

There's practically no advantage to using a burst weapon when you can tap fire and manually burst.

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, February 24th 2012, 8:18pm

I heard that last patch they changed around the spread on burst/auto mode to make burst favourable at mid range? I can't remember where I heard it but I'm sure somebody can clarify.
Forum Rules

Hey guys, lets all remember here that this is Symthic, and we are all mature enough to debate a topic without becoming emotional or insulting. Ad Hominim attacks only demonstrate that your position is weak and that you've run out of supporting evidence and serve to undermine your own position. I hope no one here drops to that level.

Quotes

[Auto's] voice is like butter on the ears

I am quite positive auto's worst fear is a forum with no threads that need to be locked.