Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:47. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Infinite" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 10:28pm

Best shotgun ammunition for 870?

Buckshot is best at close range but I think needs a buff at range.

Flechette is not as effective at close range and longer range it is not much better. There is no reason to go for penetration kills.

Frag rounds are only effective if you hit because the 870 doesn't fire fast enough for smash damage to work.

Slug are not as effective at long range because they are not as accurate and too slow.

Just want to know your opinion, mine is buckshot.

Date of registration
: Dec 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 10:37pm

Re: Best shotgun ammunition for 870?

Flechette because it produces the same accuracy as Buckshot, but deals more damage at long range. Short range is still enough lethality to be fine.

P.S. I play hardcore so Flechette is a 1-hit out to a good range, and then 2 hits beyond that is still acceptable. Buckshot is 1-hit out to a shorter range than Flechette, and then beyond that is 3-4.

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 12:24am

I've been running around using frag rounds with the Manly Combat Shotgun. Mostly, if not solely on HC and I must say it is a lot of fun. It might not be as effective as Flechette or Buckshot in close range but that is somewhat softened by the increase in range you will have.
Taking out snipers on big buildings will not be a problem. People in cover will hate you. Generally everyone will hate you and it won't take long before someone else picks up a shotgun to hunt you down. But why must they always take an automatic shotgun? Have they not grown chest hair yet?

If you happen to run with both increase ammo and suppression perk you can keep going for quite some time.

In a round I had a few occassions were I peeked around the corner to meet a group of 3-4 man waiting. Thanks to the suppression perk their screens all went fuzzy and they couldn't seperate me from their teammate while I click clack bang and make them do a little dance as they die.

That's right, because of the explosion their corpse will turn into a ragdoll as they die, going from breakdance to backflips. I still giggle everytime I shoot someone and I can tell you it will never get old. For that reason alone I will enjoy frag rounds more than any other ammo for my Manly Combat Shotgun.

Additionally, I have a few encounters where using buckshot/flechette my enemy would end up with 1% health at point blank range. That really put me off.

Date of registration
: Feb 1st 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 12:44am

Quoted from ""Wh1tE_Dw4rF""

I've been running around using frag rounds with the Manly Combat Shotgun. Mostly, if not solely on HC and I must say it is a lot of fun. It might not be as effective as Flechette or Buckshot in close range but that is somewhat softened by the increase in range you will have.
Taking out snipers on big buildings will not be a problem. People in cover will hate you. Generally everyone will hate you and it won't take long before someone else picks up a shotgun to hunt you down. But why must they always take an automatic shotgun? Have they not grown chest hair yet?

If you happen to run with both increase ammo and suppression perk you can keep going for quite some time.

In a round I had a few occassions were I peeked around the corner to meet a group of 3-4 man waiting. Thanks to the suppression perk their screens all went fuzzy and they couldn't seperate me from their teammate while I click clack bang and make them do a little dance as they die.
!
That's right, because of the explosion their corpse will turn into a ragdoll as they die, going from breakdance to backflips. I still giggle everytime I shoot someone and I can tell you it will never get old. For that reason alone I will enjoy frag rounds more than any other ammo for my Manly Combat Shotgun.

Additionally, I have a few encounters where using buckshot/flechette my enemy would end up with 1% health at point blank range. That really put me off.

I haven't tried the fresh rounds yet but that does sound very fun and challenging

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 1:16am

You need to hit with 7 flechettes to kill an enemy. That's rather reasonable, given how accurate the 870 is. It basically has the same OHK range for flechettes as it does for buckshot, but it's better at medium range.

Though Holo+Laser+Slugs is a lot of fun, it's basically quickscoping.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jan 26th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 5:48am

I've used the 870 quite a bit and heres how I see the ammo types.(I only play on normal)

buckshot - the best close range option, more forgiving up close then flechette if you only hit with a fraction of the blast. At further ranges you may need 3 or 4 blasts, at these ranges it's better to swich to your pistol.

flechette - basically buckshot with a tad more reach. the narrower spread of the 870 makes better use of flechettes then other shotguns, although you would still likely be able to kill faster with your pistol. the multiple enemy penetration is a small bonus but is far to situational to be of good use.

frag - IMO frag rounds for the 870 are underpowered given their inability to OHK at close range and their damage tapering down to that of semi frag rounds at long range. as well as not having any extra explosive radius or damage in comparison to semi frag rounds. when using frag rounds try to limit your encounters to medium or long range by gaining a preferably elevated position.

slug - the ammo type that is effective at all ranges but excels at none. can OHK at close range, is effective at medium range and if you get used to it's bullet drop you can take out targets at long range. biggest down side to using slugs is that the 870 has poor accuracy when ADS and moving. missing even once will likely get you killed so when engaging targets beyond close range it's important to stand still.

All in all I say go with either buck or slugs.

Date of registration
: Dec 27th 2011

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 11:55am

Quoted from ""Infinite""

Slug are not as effective at long range because they are not as accurate and too slow.

The slug is actually best at longer ranges. It's highly accurate and very powerful. On Hardcore mode you can pretty much snipe with it. Close range is where it has some trouble because it's hard to land the shot when firing from the hip.

The slug round is my preferred ammo for the 870. Most of the maps are just too large for the buckshot or the flechette. Trying to take anybody down with those rounds at 10m and beyond is nearly impossible.

Date of registration
: Jan 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 12:36pm

I prefer to use flechette mostly as it ignores some minor collisions from boxes and or thin walls.
Also many ppl states that penetration of multiple targets is not wining point but if you ambush enemy squad in city map packed in tunnel its great asset. Also it ignores [still destorys] collision with med/ammo pack which can mean enough pellets to kill or leave target with 1% if he lays behind one of them.

Also unless you are on 0 - 10m range its damage is conparrable if not higher than buckshot

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 5:07pm

Quoted from ""panzerjager1943""

Flechette because it produces the same accuracy as Buckshot, but deals more damage at long range. Short range is still enough lethality to be fine.

+1!
XBOX Gametag: Kool Snaip
PTFO!

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 7:56pm

Flechette. Up close it is pretty much just the same as buck - but I don't get what people are saying that penetration isn't important. When faced with clustered enemies in areas like grand bazaar hallway, metro death hall, or seine crossing buildings you can rack up double and triple kills in single shots with ease. Buckshot would have just killed the first guy in the row and then the other two would gun you down and revive him.