Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "stabbim" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 1:38pm

FOV and YOUR accuracy

Has anyone tested to see how the game feels with different FOVs?

I've always used the highest setting but it occurred to me this morning that if I used a lower setting then my view would be a little 'more zoomed' and thus might result in me having better accuracy... anyone messed with different settings and have anything to report?

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:00pm

Higher FOV settings only affect your hipfire accuracy since ADS isnt affected by the FOV settings. thats the reason why IMO higher
FOV is always better.
I am part of that power which would the evil ever do and ever does the good.

Are you a Symthican and a PC BF3 player?

A catfish has appeared!

Help represent Symthic on the battlefield.
Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,883)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 17

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:01pm

I know this is BF3 thread, but the subject is common to all FPSes so I write based on my experiences on several FPSes.

It truly gets harder to aim at long distances when you rise up FoV, but on the other hand you don't see as much. It depends on one's gameplay style whether it's a good thing or not. When it comes to BF3 I think (Haven't played it in long time) smaller FoV would be more usefull due to distances between players. In Crysis 2/3 (Default 55 FoV lol) and CoD like games higher FoV feels better as the distance to enemies is often rather smallish. One strange thing I have noticed is that with higher FoVs I feel I go faster (landscape moves "faster" because there is more to see), but also get better gameplay performance. Not sure why

Quoted

Higher FOV settings only affect your hipfire accuracy since ADS isnt affected by the FOV settings. thats the reason why IMO higher
FOV is always better.

Don't know about BF3, but in Crysis if you only set 'normal' FoV higher than the one in ADSes the transition between hip and ADS really hurts my eyes.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • InterimAegis - Weapon comparisons/scoring.
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • pmax - Statistical analysis of BF4 players/games.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:06pm

I know this is BF3 thread, but the subject is common to all FPSes so I write based on my experiences on several FPSes.

It truly gets harder to aim at long distances when you rise up FoV, but on the other hand you don't see as much. It depends on one's gameplay style whether it's a good thing or not. When it comes to BF3 I think (Haven't played it in long time) smaller FoV would be more usefull due to distances between players. In Crysis 2/3 (Default 55 FoV lol) and CoD like games higher FoV feels better as the distance to enemies is often rather smallish. One strange thing I have noticed is that with higher FoVs I feel I go faster (landscape moves "faster" because there is more to see), but also get better gameplay performance. Not sure why

Quoted

FOV is always better.

Don't know about BF3, but in Crysis if you only set 'normal' FoV higher than the one in ADSes the transition between hip and ADS really hurts my eyes.

Afaik in BF3 ADS FOV is always the same no matter what you set your hip FOV to be. So the only difference is that you "zoom in" more when you ADS if you set your FOV higher.

A catfish has appeared!

Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,883)

Date of registration

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:09pm

Afaik in BF3 ADS FOV is always the same no matter what you set your hip FOV to be. So the only difference is that you "zoom in" more when you ADS if you set your FOV higher.
is that you "zoom in" more when you ADS if you set your FOV higher.

Yup, that "zoom in" thing was the one I was talking about. I guess it's better on BF3 then :D (The headache it causes in Crysis...)
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:19pm

is that you "zoom in" more when you ADS if you set your FOV higher.

Yup, that "zoom in" thing was the one I was talking about. I guess it's better on BF3 then :D (The headache it causes in Crysis...)

Well all the scopes have a zoom anyway. Kobra/RDS have 144% for example and Holo has 187% (i assume these numbers are compared to a 75 hipFOV). Changing FOV to 90 from 75 only ads a little bit to that, without having done the math i would say its a smaller difference than changing from Kobra to Holo.

A catfish has appeared!

Join Team Symthic!

• "stabbim" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 2:41pm

Hmm interesting points.

As for the performance increasing that's simply because your card is drawing less. There is less to see!
Most modern games will only draw things just past what you can see.

EDIT: Oh wait you said higher fovs.... in that case I have no idea :D

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,883)

Date of registration

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 3:14pm

Hmm interesting points.

As for the performance increasing that's simply because your card is drawing less. There is less to see!
Most modern games will only draw things just past what you can see.

EDIT: Oh wait you said higher fovs.... in that case I have no idea :D

Oh I meant my in-game performance as in score/kills/deaths etc.

Forgot to answer to the actual topic: Mostly I set the FPS as high as possible, since I prefer CoD style games where Reflexes/Fast aiming > Accuracy.

MrT3a

The only man who ever reported his own post!

(920)

Date of registration
: Jul 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 3:25pm

Usually my FOV is 110, find it good for me ^^ Can't chack my accuracy right now (go check yourself if you want, link to BF3Stats in sig)
Stats thingy

Quotes of wisdom (maybe)

I'm a battlefield player, good sir. I don't play metro.

PC is no longer PC master race. It's PC mustard race, because consoles need to ketchup :'D

DICE gave so much into making commander better, but lemmings be lemmings I guess.

As a good guy that don't want to use overly glitched weapons, I'll quit using the MTAR and switch to the ACWR until it's fixed

The world needs more people like you

+1, I think we're all in agreement that more MrT3as would be an awesome thing :love:
Although if that was the case they'd use up so much of the world's awesome that there'd be none left for the rest of us! :D

yes, I know, I'm a big-ass hypocrite

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, April 9th 2013, 4:42pm

Might as well point out that the FOV setting in BF3 is vertical FOV (vFOV) and not horizontal FOV (hFOV) which most old school games refer to. So it can get a little confusing if you're used to 90 "FOV" in older games like Quake and TF2. 90 vFOV is different then 90 hFOV. Also keep in mind our monitors use different aspect ratios then what we used to have back in the day. 90 hFOV was the standard with old 4:3 monitors but a lot of people use 16:9 or 16:10 now.

I use a 16:10 monitor (1920x1200 res) and 100 hFOV feels right so in BF3 I have my vFOV set to 74.