Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:47. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Jan 10th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, February 13th 2012, 6:31pm

Re: The spotting system

Quoted from ""Orion""

Yet sometimes I spot their whole damn team with one button press. and they light up like Christmas trees. :)

When you spot a squad leader, its whole squad becomes spotted... maybe thats why

Date of registration
: Jan 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 13th 2012, 6:40pm

If that would be true, this game would be pretty retarded...

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Monday, February 13th 2012, 6:59pm

Doubt that the whole squad would get spotted.. More like the spot function is like a shotgun, attempting to light up anything in a cone straight ahead... Purely guessing now, but I'd imagine that there are some key points on each person/vehicle, so if you can't spot these points it will ignore them.. Maybe it's simply the basic center point name tag that needs to be visual, maybe head as well on infantry.. Could explain why the game wont spot targets clearly visible and sometimes target things barely visible...

But it's indeed pretty dodgy, like trying to spot a jet above you which is clearly visible, but juuuuust out of range of the spot function, so it goes unnoticed to the rest of the team... And I wish it wouldn't light up things you can't even see.. Especially on others screens like one guy spots guy behind a wall, a guy on the other side of the wall should only get the minimap blip and not a big arrow on them. Or maybe just no arrows at all unless you spot them yourself, only the minimap...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, February 13th 2012, 7:17pm

Quoted from ""LucifaZ""

I don't know how it is on the PC, but on the XBOX 360, whenever you press the spot button too much there's a faint 'radio click' noise. I'm sure it's not the noise from actual radio communications.

yep, just noticed this the other day on the PC. a very subtle 'radio click' noise has replaced the beeping noise from the beta after hitting Q 4 times in too-rapid succession.

Date of registration
: Feb 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 13th 2012, 9:14pm

I've wondered if the spotting "tool" is "fired" like a weapon. I've tried spotting enemies while behind close cover, and it wouldn't work. However, when I stood up I was able to spot them without issue. I treat my spotting ability as if it were a hip-fired gun: if there's an obstacle in front of me, my "spot beam" probably hits the obstacle instead of the enemy I can see over it.

theory: spotting beam is fired from the gun, not the soldier
experiment- see if there's a difficulty difference between spotting while zoomed and unzoomed from behind an obstacle that would block your fired bullets from hipfire but not while ADS.

Date of registration
: Feb 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 13th 2012, 11:01pm

I'm playing on PC and find the spotting to be a bit unreliable, but mostly it works for me when I got a clear line of sight. I got the impression that foliage and the like in front of your nose might block it, even when you can clearly see your target and only part of your view is blocked. (Would be in line with what KuMardagg said above.)
Spotting certainly seems to work best when I throw myself in the open with suicidal heroism.

Generally the fact that it shares the key with the commo-rose doesn't help either and makes the whole thing rather fiddly, especially when you aim at moving targets or while on the move yourself.

Another thing I'm wondering about is if there's a maximum spotting distance? It's annoying when you look through a scope directly at an enemy and want to give your teammates in that area a heads-up before engaging the target.. by the time you stop trying to spot as it didn't work, the squadmate is dead and the target behind cover. Even that might just be the usual spotting problems in action.

And last but surely not least (actually most annoying of all): anyone else having problems with spotting from inside vehicles? When inside a tank, helicopter as gunner, etc. it's impossible for me to spot. No matter what I try. (I did rebind the spotting key btw, no idea if that's connected.)

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, February 13th 2012, 11:13pm

pretty sure rebinding the spotting key is broken and you must use Q. this is annoying as i use a joystick for aircraft, but i've learned to reach up and hit Q mid-flight when i have a second and want to line up my rockets on a distant vehicle (perhaps i saw it on the minimap when it fired so i know the general location)

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Tuesday, February 14th 2012, 12:14am

Quoted from ""graedus""

pretty sure rebinding the spotting key is broken and you must use Q. this is annoying as i use a joystick for aircraft, but i've learned to reach up and hit Q mid-flight when i have a second and want to line up my rockets on a distant vehicle (perhaps i saw it on the minimap when it fired so i know the general location)

This is annoying me as well... I've bound the spot key to on of the joystick keys with the help of the key remapping software that supposedly forces the game to not only listen to Q, but it only seems to work about 50% of the time despite that...

It did work pretty reliable if I bound spotting to the same joystick button as the 3D view, but that's pretty awkward...

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 14th 2012, 1:38am

Quoted from ""KuMardagg""

theory: spotting beam is fired from the gun, not the soldier
experiment- see if there's a difficulty difference between spotting while zoomed and unzoomed from behind an obstacle that would block your fired bullets from hipfire but not while ADS.

BF3 is my first BF experience so i'm a massive fan of the spotting due to it giving me a realistic feeling in that i can quickly advise my team mates that the person they're looking for is around a corner/upstairs/etc..

through my own habit, if i try to spot something from a distance and it doesn't work, i go ADS and press Q when its in my sights - works 99% of the time..

this is usually for tanks/jets/choppers or infantry who are a good distance away

thinking back, its probably how i do it when someone is in cover/obscured by an object as well..

Date of registration
: Dec 28th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 14th 2012, 2:45am

There's two general things to remember when trying to spot someone:

1: When trying to spot through partially view-obstructing things like tree leaves spotting is hit-and-miss, and even if you spot, you won't see the triangle if your view is currently blocked

2: Spotting can 'OVERHEAT', just like a heavy machine gun. So don't spam the button if you want to spot people, because it won't work. Gently tap the spot button a few times and then wait some time to let it 'cool down' for much better results.