Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "MasterBlaster" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 9th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 3:44pm

Time to ADS with various scopes?

Does anyone know where to find information regarding the amount of time it takes to aim down the sights with the various scopes? Have looked around and connot find such info. Certainly the 8X and 12X come up slower than the 3.5X and 4X, but I am unclear if 3.5X is faster than 4X and if iron sights are the fastest or not.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 3:50pm

Re: Time to ADS with various scopes?

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://symthic.com/f/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111&p=4505#p4505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=111&p=4505#p4505</a><!-- l -->

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

• "MasterBlaster" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 8:31pm

Thanks. Had already found that post, but was hoping for a more accurate account of time to scope. The conclusion of that post is that there is really no difference between the scopes or between guns with respective scopes. However, I certainly feel a big difference between 8X and 4X and it ususally means the difference between life and death in an encounter.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 8:35pm

Well, now that I've got fraps running I could probably do a more precise test, though at least between the weapon types I doubt there will be any difference

Got to make a list of all different sights....

Counting in frames 30 fps, 1 frame = 0.033 seconds. Up/Down frame count.
Note that there might be some minor errors due to that computers don't use frames, so forcing it to count in frames per second isn't really natural. I filmed each sight 3 times up and down to try to eliminate as much as possible. 8x and 12x scopes really do seem to get one frame extra...

To make it simple:
8 = 0.264 seconds
9 = 0.297 seconds
10 = 0.333 seconds
11 = 0.363 seconds
12 = 0.396 seconds

up = from first movement until it's on target, although the high powered scopes are a bit faded out for a tiny bit longer, like 1-4 frames max, unknown if it has any effect at all on the aim... The HUD crosshair is stable already and the scope is also stable. Perhaps just a special effect to make the scope transition easier on the eye...

down = until the weapon has steadied up completely rather than crosshairs appearing again...

General:
Iron sight - 8/8
IRNV (IR 1x) - 10/10
Ballistic 8x - 11/9
Ballistic 12x - 11/9
44 Scoped - 12/10

US:
Reflex (RDS) - 8/10
Holographic (HOLO) - 8/10
M145 (3.4x) - 10/10
ACOG 4x - 10/10
Rifle Scope (6x) - 10/10

Russian:
KOBRA (RDS) - 8/10
PKA-S (HOLO) - 8/10
PK-A (3.4x) - 10/10
PSO-1 (4x) - 10/10
PKS-07 (7x) - 10/10

Tested all but 6x with M98B, did that with M16A3... G53 iron sight = 8/8 P90 RDS = 8/10 P90 ACOG = 10/10 G18s = 8/8 All confirmed that it's the same regardless of weapon

Quoted

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 10:09pm

So effectively, the RDS and Holo and IRon sights are fastest, followd by everything else, then 8x and 12x?

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(
Also, why does the RANDOM thread have a topic?

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 10:30pm

Yep, 8x and 12x are very close to being 10/8, though both of them shouldn't be on the wrong frame 3 times each... So they are probably 11/9 for real...

It's pretty incompatible to measure in frames, but at least it's more accurate than the stopwatch :o

Quoted

Date of registration
: Jan 17th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 10th 2012, 9:33am

So, basically what your experiment shows is that a Reflex sight is a whopping seven one-hundredths of a second faster than an ACOG ?

Seriously? (Not that I doubt your research; I just can't believe thats all it is.) I call BS.
~~~ General Electric ~~~

. . . . . FUSION: GENESIS . . . . .

Date of registration
: Jan 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 10th 2012, 10:46am

GenELECTR1C

I believe this findings as I found Holo really fast and only what changes are perspective from zooming in
ADS speed is the same.

Also Acog suffers from really poor view angle what makes hard to quickly reaquire moving target on closer ranges. So it feels slower than it really is.

Date of registration
: Jan 17th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 10th 2012, 11:32am

Let me rephrase.
I believe that the research is accurate. I'm just surprised that it's the case. I've aimed weapons using iron sights and traditional scopes (IRL). Using a reflex sight is so much easier.

It's a problem in shooters that I can't believe is still there. Lining up iron sights properly (nevermind then lining them up with the target) is not easy, yet every fuzzy recruit in every FPS can do it in 1/4 second? Gimme a break. The same goes for tradional scopes.

I don't know what's worse: The fact that 4x scopes scope-up so quickly, or the fact that using a reflex isn't any faster than iron-sights.
~~~ General Electric ~~~

. . . . . FUSION: GENESIS . . . . .

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, February 10th 2012, 11:44am

Takes more time for the eye and brain to realize wth just happened to the world it was seeing depending on how much zoom you have, which can make it feel like it's slower. Plus 6x+ sights block out the outsides of the scope for a tunnel effect which also can play tricks on the eye. It's not really something you think about when you're doing it, but you basically recalibrate your eye and brain every time you pull up your sights. The more you practice the faster they do it, though it's worse IRL as the eye has to change it's focus as well, plus line up the sights etc...

0.5 intervals

1x zoom - Iron sights / Reflex / Kobra - Just have to find the aiming point, extremely fast
1.5x zoom - Holo / PKA-S - Tiny difference, though enough to need a slight recalibration, still very fast
-
-
-
3.4x zoom - M145 / PK-A - Now things are starting to become difficult for the eye and brain to keep up
4x zoom - ACOG / PSO-1
-
-
-
6x zoom - Rifle Scope - Now the eye and brain are really starting to struggle figuring out where it's looking
-
7x zoom - PKS-07
-
8x zoom - Ballistic
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
12x zoom - Ballistic - Hello world?! Oh, there you are...

I'm also surprised that iron sights come up so fast and easily. Though the sight picture is often quite poor (FAMAS lol) with iron sights so there's not really any gain in using them over RDS etc. Though in a real life situation you wouldn't even use the sights in close quarters, just point and shoot and you will hit the target, the body is pretty good at lining up itself with proper training. With proper training you can get it lined up very fast as well. I can do it with my eyes closed with my pistol, including lining it up against the target. Though most grunts don't get that much training... Especially now since reflex sights are so damn good, and pistols a rare commodity as backup weapon.

Though some "scope sway" would be accurate when using iron sights... There's no way you can keep it that perfect when moving around...

Maybe they figured the eye+brain confusion is enough difference in a competitive game rather than lengthening the ADS time. I think it's quite alright as it is really

Quoted