Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Shifty" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 9th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 8:50pm

Experienced jet pilots: What's your loadout & why?

Curious as to what everyone else runs with.
I think I'm currently working on jet service star 15, so have had a fair bit of experience though not as much as many have (fought a guy with gold jet dogtags the other day which is awarded at jet service star 100!)
Note that I don't play much HC - if I did I'd use guided missiles 100% of the time.

For the longest time I used:

Air Radar: Knowing enemy aircraft position is way too handy not to have. Wish it'd show friendlies though!
Flares: Self-explanatory really - keeps you alive. Used extinguisher pre-nerf, but it sucks now
Guided Missile: Seemed to work better for me than rockets.

Lately I've been using:

Air Radar (though am thinking about switching to Stealth)
ECM: Javelins are becoming a bit more of an issue, and flares don't help with those. If I do get locked on by AA missiles while it's recharging I find I can dodge most of them provided I have some idea where they came from. Plus it hides you from enemy air radar when you activate it which comes in handy during dogfights.
Rocket Pods: Super useful for taking out targets at ranges longer than the guided missile can lock on at (pesky AA campers!) and I've also managed several kills against enemy helos from a long range rocket barrage. Plus it can target infantry, whereas guided missile can't.

The reason I'm considering the switch to stealth is that I figure the combination of that plus ECM should make me immune to missiles 90% of the time, and the few that do manage to get through can hopefully be evaded. If I do get hit by one I can always land & repair too.
This means the only thing that will knock me out of the sky (other than those pesky radio antennas / lamp posts) is cannon fire from other jets, and I can usually out-dogfight most other pilots I come across.

I'm still torn on the rocket pod / guided missile decision. I wish laser designated targets would still appear when I'm using rockets, because if I know I have good laser designators on my team I'm taking guided missile every the time. As it is, If I can't tell that my team is designating targets, I'm not going to switch to guided missiles and lose the versatility that the rocket pods provide.

Anyway, that ended up being way longer than I'd intended originally so let me know: What do you use and why?

TL/DR: See thread title

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 11:05pm

Re: Experienced jet pilots: What's your loadout & why?

stealth: because i prefer max size map over air radar.
flares: i'm not good at dodging stingers and air-to-air missiles*, but i am pretty good at avoiding laser designated missiles.
rocket pods: responsible for most of my vehicle disables and destroys. i can at least disable a vehicle every pass using them. i use them to soften up stationary or slow-moving choppers when i'm outside gun range too.

*everyone's always all "quickly determine where the missile came from and then ...", i have no idea how you do this. in some cases like on firestorm it's easy to fly behind your mountain range and avoid 90% of missiles but in other cases i'm not sure how you guys dodge stuff. do you use the cockpit free look to try to get a visual on the missile or just guess based on where enemy guys are likely to be?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 11:19pm

Quoted from ""graedus""

or just guess based on where enemy guys are likely to be?

This, pretty much. Though if it's a jet or heli you generally know (or should know!) where they are, so they're easy (unless the jet is on your tail - then it's a PITA to make a tight enough turn to beat the missile.

Using the map boundaries to your advantage helps a lot too.
On maps like Kharg Island I make a lot of attack runs from the ocean side of the map. You know the missile isn't coming from there, so it's a simple matter of heading inland. Likewise, on Caspian border if I'm US I'll attack from the antenna side of the map, so I know it's not coming from behind me or from my right as it's out of bounds / near our spawn respectively.
Once you're pointed somewhat in the direction it came from, you can see it coming so can adjust your angle as needed.

I guess "try to avoid flying over the middle of the map" is really what I'm getting at since then you can be locked on from all sides & you really have no clue exactly where it came from.
I wonder if DICE is ever going to fix the air radar to have it show missiles like they'd said it would. That'd make dodging them trivially easy.

Date of registration
: Dec 27th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 11:35pm

I'm also approaching the 15th service star. I thought it was pretty cool, but now I want that 100th service star gold dogtag.

I use Air Radar, Extinguisher, and Rocket Pods. I like Air Radar because it shows me tanks and jeeps too, which is really helpful because I end up on a lot of teams where nobody spots. It also helps me figure out who's trying to get a missile lock on me. I still use extinguisher even though it's not as good as it used to be. I'm mainly sticking with it because I turned pro at dodging missiles, so I don't really need the flares anymore. I was playing around with the ECM jammer for a bit, but I play on console and hardly anyone uses the SOFLAM. I use Rocket Pods because they deal a bit more damage than the guided missile and I have an easier time following up with the guns because I already have the sights aimed at my target.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 11:41pm

Quoted from ""SillySpree""

I'm also approaching the 15th service star. I thought it was pretty cool, but now I want that 100th service star gold dogtag.

Yeah I saw the tags & went "WTF are those??? I WANT THEM

Quoted

I use Rocket Pods because they deal a bit more damage than the guided missile

Do you know if they deal more damage than guided missiles on a laser-designated target? I know you said on console that SOFLAM isn't used as much, but it's becoming very popular on PC.
Plus, sometimes I'm too lazy to line up an attack run on a helicopter, and if it's been lazed I can just fire off a guided missile with zero danger to myself :)

Date of registration
: Dec 27th 2011

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 12:42am

Quoted from ""Shifty""

Do you know if they deal more damage than guided missiles on a laser-designated target? I know you said on console that SOFLAM isn't used as much, but it's becoming very popular on PC.
Plus, sometimes I'm too lazy to line up an attack run on a helicopter, and if it's been lazed I can just fire off a guided missile with zero danger to myself :)

I believe they do deal more damage on a laser designated target. If I remember correctly, without laser designation, the guided missile does 34 damage, and the rocket pods will do about 45. I would guess that the damage bonus you get would exceed 45.

On console, you only have 24 players per game, so there's not as many recon running around with SOFLAM or as many engineers running around with javelin equipped. Just today I had someone painting me with the laser designator for about 2 minutes, but no one on the ground had a javelin I guess because nobody ever took a shot at me. It makes the ECM far less useful on console.

Date of registration
: Feb 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 3:05am

The loadout I use most often is:

-Air Radar
-IR Flares
-Rocket Pods

If my teammates on the ground are doing a good job at taking out enemy tanks or if there is an annoying Helicopter flying high spamming Heat-Seekers I swap Rocket Pods for Heat-Seekers. I'd use Extinguisher if it repaired you to 50% still =/

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 3:12am

Interesting info guys, thanks. Maybe it'll help me increase my time in the air with these jets.

I've so far managed 7 minutes 40 seconds in the F18, and 5 minutes 15 seconds in the SU27 - out of 80+ hours of game time..

When I'm running around on the ground I've learnt to just completely ignore the aerial vehicles above, since shooting them down from the ground is so impossible (but I do spot for our air cover). Yet when I get in the cockpit things change completely and I'm downed almost immediately lol -:'o-
But some very good ideas here, might try and have another go with it.

A1pha
(Xbox 360)

Date of registration
: Dec 22nd 2011

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 4:26am

I use beam scanning ,extinguisher ,guided missile. I just do swoops on all tanks ,if a jet decides to interrupt me I then just use my cannons, flares are pointless once u learn how to dodge ECM jammer I have used like twice we didn't get along , at least with extinguisher if I do get hit just use it and afterburn away.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 5:53am

I only have two things unlocked for jets...I'm just a boss like that. -8D-
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS