Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Keating" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, February 6th 2012, 8:36am

Effects of Suppression

So, I've been very interested as to what how much suppressing someone effects them aside from adding some peripheral blur to their screen.
I had found the "SuppressionModifierUnzoomed" and "SuppressionModifierZoomed" sections in the weapon's .sym file, but I assumed they were multipliers and as such was very surprised to find several "0" values. An example, for the M98 sniper rifle:

Quoted

SuppressionModifierUnzoomed
GunSwayStanceZoomModifierData
DispersionMod
GunSwayDispersionModData
MinAngleModifier 1.5
MaxAngleModifier 0.0
IncreasePerShotModifier 0.20000000298
DecreasePerSecondModifier 0.0
RecoilMagnitudeMod 0.0
RecoilAngleMod 1.0
LagYawMod 0.0
LagPitchMod 0.0
SuppressionModifierZoomed
GunSwayStanceZoomModifierData
DispersionMod
GunSwayDispersionModData
MinAngleModifier 1.5
MaxAngleModifier 0.0
IncreasePerShotModifier 0.20000000298
DecreasePerSecondModifier 0.0
RecoilMagnitudeMod 0.0
RecoilAngleMod 1.0
LagYawMod 0.0
LagPitchMod 0.0

[On a side note, I have noticed that the suppression modifiers for the Back to Karkand weapons tended to be better while zoomed.]
So I tested some stuff with a friend and found that the threshold for effects is indeed 30% suppressed, and increases your minimum spread by a significant jump (both visibly with the crosshairs expanding and with actual bullet patterns). But it appears after the threshold is reached, added suppression seems to increase your minimum spread linearly up to a maximum (which would appear to have been reached on the weapons I was testing after maybe twice the number of bullets that brought me to my threshold, so maybe at around 60% suppressed), at least when unzoomed. I also tested a semi-automatic sniper rifle (the M39), and found that both it's unzoomed minimum spread and zoomed spread increased by a significant margin, meaning that these modifiers are not multipliers, but most likely simple addition.

But these numbers in the .sym file don't explain whether they're the minimum suppressed numbers or the maximum (I assume maximum) among many other unknowns, such as suppression recovery or what the "RecoilAngleMod" adds to. Does Symthic/Frankel/Aenonar/Soko/anyone know more about these effects? Is this something that would be easily testable using a weapon-value-modifying tool that I remember Frankel had developed (I read something on DenKirson's forum), and if so, could someone show where that tool is and how to use it?

Thanks

P.S.
And, I also did a little testing on the "Squad Cover" and "Squad Suppression" specializations and for *MYSELF* the modifiers appeared to be .75 and 1.25 respectively (it might be that the better modifiers of .67 and 1.5 are only for other squadmates). On an analytical note, this would show that the squad cover spec. would be more useful than the squad suppression spec.
If anyone gets a chance to get themselves and 2 others together to test the squadmate multipliers of these, let me know what you find (remember that as far as we know, the specialization's benefits are only applied to squadmates upon spawning, based on the specializations or the other currently alive squadmates).

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Monday, February 6th 2012, 4:40pm

Re: Effects of Suppression

I barely know anything about exactly how the suppressing effect works except that it's extremely useless... Instead of firing for suppression it's often better to wait for the enemy to inevitably stick his head back out of cover and pop him... If you're going for suppression effect it usually ends with enemy popping out and accurately killing you instead...

Just last night I hit a guy 3 times in the side with AK-74M heavy bullets, another ~4 next to him. What happens? He swings around and bursts me 100-0 with perfect accuracy. He should really be feeling pretty horrible and be more interested in ducking than being able to fire back with perfect accuracy.

I'd love to find out more about how suppressing fire really works in-game, either from someone figuring out the numbers or just from trial and error

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 5:37pm

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

I barely know anything about exactly how the suppressing effect works except that it's extremely useless... Instead of firing for suppression it's often better to wait for the enemy to inevitably stick his head back out of cover and pop him... If you're going for suppression effect it usually ends with enemy popping out and accurately killing you instead...

Just last night I hit a guy 3 times in the side with AK-74M heavy bullets, another ~4 next to him. What happens? He swings around and bursts me 100-0 with perfect accuracy. He should really be feeling pretty horrible and be more interested in ducking than being able to fire back with perfect accuracy.

I'd love to find out more about how suppressing fire really works in-game, either from someone figuring out the numbers or just from trial and error

Suppression is currently nothing more than a sad gimmick. It would be nice to have it be a core feature of the game where it is always on your mind (offensively and defensively), but suppression as it stands is pretty worthless in how long it takes to suppress someone and the affects of that suppression. It does not seem to give you the upper hand in a fight. The worst is when you (as support) fire 30+ rounds (hitting with 3-4) at a sniper and they still OHK you from 50+m. Nothing gets me more pissed than that.

If they ever buff suppression, the support class may actually become balanced and effective. It is sad that snipers are better at suppressing than supports. 1 bullet should not suppress.

Getting hit should also fully suppress in HC. This would change the game immensely for the better IMO. You should have aiming problems after getting shot, right?

Date of registration
: Jan 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 6:27pm

I have only been fully suppressed once, when I was prone behind concealment and a bipoded LMG decided to dump the entire mag just over my head. The spread of my SKS was completely absurd, like can't hit the parked car 10 metres in front of me bad. But that was the only case where I noticed any kind of accuracy degradation from suppression.

That being said, I've lost plenty of shoot outs due to the color shift & blurry vision, it does make it harder to acquire targets and should not be discounted as an advantage to suppressing someone.

Date of registration
: Dec 28th 2011

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 6:44pm

Supression seems to have the best effect on Recons w/ sniper rifles seeing as they need to get accurate headshots.

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 7:06pm

Quoted from ""dragonfury""

Supression seems to have the best effect on Recons w/ sniper rifles seeing as they need to get accurate headshots.

I still get shot by them all the time after emptying half of a 100 round mag at them. I still question if LMGs actually shoot as many bullets (in game) as they say they do. It seems like I can empty "40" rounds down range and hit a group of enemies only 3-4 times. I think half the bullets are given (gross inaccuracy status and are just ignored entirely by the game). I also notice this point blank too. I empty 10 rounds right into someone's chest, 2-3 hit center mass, and I end up dead with enemy at 50% health.