Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Duncdiddy" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 10th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, January 25th 2013, 9:27pm

Semi Auto Sniper Recoil and Spread Analysis

I've been lurking in these forums for quite a while, soaking up info and using it to my advantage on the battlefield, and I think it's time to give back a little. I have plenty of experience using Semi-auto snipers due to the fact I usually play as recon, but there was one thing that always bothered me: How fast can you fire the SA snipers without being affected by spread or recoil increase. I think I've found a way to calculate this value making a few assumptions. From what i understand, the recoil and spread values aren't active while you are firing a gun in battlefield 3. Automatic firearms begin to feel these decreases as soon as the firetime is done, but at that exact instance, the next shot is fired, meaning these decrease values are never felt during automatic fire. For semi auto snipers, I'm assuming the same principal is true. Each sniper has a firetime during which you cant shoot. I'm guessing spread and recoil decrease doesn't work during that time either, which is why you cant hit the broad side of a barn door if you spam the trigger. With this in mind, here are my calculations for the effective usage of the QBU-88:

Spread

at 0.8 increase per shot and 15.0 decrease per second we find the time it takes for the spread to reset after the firetime is over.

0.8/15.0=.0533

Adding this time to the firetime of the QBU, we can find the time it takes for the spread to completely reset after taking a shot.

.0533+.2308=.2841

Taking the reciprocal and multiplying it by 60 gives us our answer

(1round/.2841sec) * (60sec/1min) = 211RPM

This means you can fire the QBU-88 at 211RPM without feeling spread increase. If you are exceeding this ROF my very much you might as well be hipfiring with an LMG

Rocoil

Adding the average horizontal recoil (.15) to the vertical recoil (1.5) gives us an approximate value for the average recoil/shot (1.65)

dividing this value by the recoil decrease per second, we find the recoil reset time after firetime in seconds per shot.

(1.65/shot)*(1sec/6.0)=.275

Add the firetime

.275+.2308=.5058

Using the same method we did with the spread, we can convert to RPM

(1round/.5058sec) * (60sec/min) = 119RPM (surprising isn't it)

This is the real limiting value. You can only take 2 shots per second to avoid recoil messing up your follow up shots.

This is where the foregrip comes in, as it increases this ROF value. Below is a list of all the values I've calculated for the SA snipers with and without the Foregrip.

MK11/SVD: Recoil: (117RPM,143RPM) Spread: (211RPM)
QBU-88: Recoil: (116RPM,144RPM) Spread: (211RPM)
M39 EMR: Recoil: (144RPM,171RPM) Spread: (237RPM)
M417: Recoil: (180RPM,191RPM) Spread: (250RPM)
SKS: Recoil: (250RPM,263RPM) Spread: (300RPM)

If you think I'm wrong, please correct me. :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blue Panda" (Aug 12th 2013, 1:20am)

Cheapnub

Unregistered

Friday, January 25th 2013, 9:58pm

the recoil should not be calculated by adding horizontal and vertical together, but rather you should calculate which recoil takes the longest to recover (horizontal or vertical?). That one is the limiting factor, not the combination of them

edit: i have to say though, spread recovers faster than the recoil. Waiting till the recoil is settled = easymode. Waiting till the spread is settled = most effective use.

Either way, FG on semi-auto's rules \o/

other than that...i like this new guy :)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:19pm

Recoil recovery is (as far as I can tell) along the length of a triangle. When you fire a long burst, the weapon goes down at an angle, not straight down and then straight to the side. The hypotenuse is C = sqrt(V^2 + H^2). So your calculations are a tiny bit off as you should use this length C instead of the sum of V and H (V and H being vertical and horizontal recoil, respectively).

Excellent analysis and welcome to the forum!
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jan 8th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:31pm

You said you play recon a lot what would you think is the best Semi-auto sniper rifle?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:41pm

the recoil should not be calculated by adding horizontal and vertical together, but rather you should calculate which recoil takes the longest to recover (horizontal or vertical?). That one is the limiting factor, not the combination of them
I dont think so. Think of it as a graph. Say a first shot has .8 VR and .1 HR to the right. It would put the crosshair on the point (.1,.8) The recoil decrease pulls the crosshair from that point directly towards the center of the graph (0,0) The distance between these two points (Total recoil per shot) and the rate at which the crosshair moves towards the center (recoil decrease per second) are what determine the reset time. Of course the distance between those two example points is (.806) not (.9) because of the distance formula. I just added them, so my results are a little bit off, but it would only make a small difference and each gun would be affected the same proportionally. Anyway horizontal recoil is a random value, making the magic ROF number dynamic. And nobody can really tell the difference between 180RPM and 185RPM, I was just going for a general comparison and explanation.
edit: i have to say though, spread recovers faster than the recoil. Waiting till the recoil is settled = easymode. Waiting till the spread is settled = most effective use.
Not when you're taking out an enemy at longer ranges. I found if you take the time to line up a headshot, its better to wait for the recoil to completely reset to ensure a second heashot on the next shot. The fraction of a second this takes is almost impossible to react to. I wait for the recoil reset on stationary targets and the spread reset on moving targets. Using this strategy I can do this: Reports - XxDuncdiddyxX - BF3 Stats
Hands down.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:44pm

You said you play recon a lot what would you think is the best Semi-auto sniper rifle?

SKS. Its easymode but it holds its own in CQB yet can take out snipers at long distance. I use it with PKA 3.4x, foregrip and heavy barrel.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:47pm

Quoted

the recoil should not be calculated by adding horizontal and vertical
together, but rather you should calculate which recoil takes the longest
to recover (horizontal or vertical?). That one is the limiting factor,
not the combination of them
I dont think so. Think of it as a graph. Say a first shot has .8 VR and .1 HR to the right. It would put the crosshair on the point (.1,.8) The recoil decrease pulls the crosshair from that point directly towards the center of the graph (0,0) The
distance between these two points (Total recoil per shot) and the rate
at which the crosshair moves towards the center (recoil decrease per
second) are what determine the reset time. Of course the distance
between those two example points is (.806) not (.9) because
of the distance formula. I just added them, so my results are a little
bit off, but it would only make a small difference and each gun would be
affected the same proportionally. Anyway horizontal recoil is a random
value, making the magic ROF number dynamic. And nobody can really tell
the difference between 180RPM and 185RPM, I was just going for a general
comparison and explanation.

Quoted

edit:
i have to say though, spread recovers faster than the recoil. Waiting
till the recoil is settled = easymode. Waiting till the spread is
settled = most effective use.
Not when you're taking
out an enemy at longer ranges. I found if you take the time to line up a
headshot, its better to wait for the recoil to completely reset to
ensure a second heashot on the next shot. The fraction of a second this
takes is almost impossible to react to. I wait for the recoil reset on
stationary targets and the spread reset on moving targets. Using this
strategy I can do this:
Reports - XxDuncdiddyxX - BF3 Stats

Quoted

Hands down.

Date of registration
: Jan 8th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:47pm

SKS. Its easymode but it holds its own in CQB yet can take out snipers at long distance. I use it with PKA 3.4x, foregrip and heavy barrel.

K thx I've been a Fan of the SKS since the beginning. I thought that is what you might have said because of the low recoil, high ROF and the ability to use the heavy barrel.(Which is IMO unbalanced)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, January 25th 2013, 10:51pm

K thx I've been a Fan of the SKS since the beginning. I thought that is what you might have said because of the low recoil, high ROF and the ability to use the heavy barrel.(Which is IMO unbalanced)

Comparing them was kind of the whole point of this analysis. You can see the advantage the SKS has in my numbers. And numbers dont lie :D

Sokolovac

Administrator

(332)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, January 25th 2013, 11:07pm

Thank you for this great thread. Stickied, we will put it in useful data.
POI~