Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:47. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Jan 30th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, February 5th 2012, 5:38am

Re: Game types you would like to see in Battlefield 3

I want more CO-OP missions...

I'm coming for your tags. You have been warned.
Ranking Score -- Top 1%
Dogtags -- Top 1%
Knife kills -- Top 3%
BF3 Stats

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

• "Aenonar" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Sunday, February 5th 2012, 1:54pm

Quoted from ""stock""

Ah yes... Been a while since I played UT, especially against humans... Godlike bots are pretty easy to kill even if they have quad or shield belt : /

Well, not sure how boost items would work out in BF3.. CoD made a weapons upgrade thing depending on how many kills you got.. Umm... Yeah... Don't really think it would fit into BF3.. UT was pretty much balanced regardless which weapon you got, but BF3 there are some weapons that just don't work well, so getting a random weapon, or pick up kits might not be that fun or fitting compared to the current version of TDM.

Though heck, it might just work anyways... Start off with nothing but a pistol and knife, then pick up a kit from the ground somewhere. Though at least I would want to think of BF3 as more tactical and realistic than a normal spray and pray shooter game ;>

Squad deathmatch sometimes has a vehicle on it which respawns ~2 minutes after last one was destroyed, which would be somewhat similar to quad+shield belt... ish... Though for some reason a lot of players just ignores it even though it's obviously a massive upgrade.. In UT most perceived it only as bonus damage and health... I just run over and pick it up and annihilate the enemy teams :s

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

Date of registration
: Feb 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 12:20am

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

Quoted from ""stock""

Well, not sure how boost items would work out in BF3.. CoD made a weapons upgrade thing depending on how many kills you got.. Umm... Yeah... Don't really think it would fit into BF3.. UT was pretty much balanced regardless which weapon you got, but BF3 there are some weapons that just don't work well, so getting a random weapon, or pick up kits might not be that fun or fitting compared to the current version of TDM.

Weapons don't have to balance. You are correct in saying that UT99 was balanced, insofaras everything (barring bio and ripper) was OP in a specific situation.

Weapons upgrading based on kills would not really work. I dislike the idea of rewarding killing with more killing power directly. Reward killing+teamwork with pickups that involve sticking your neck out.

Sidenote: You could structure it similar to AQ2 where there are only a few guns on the level and each is unique. If you kill the guy with the shotgun you get it. If it was organised this way upgrades might work - however they would stay on the gun regardless of who had it. At the start of a round the gun has no upgrades, after 10 kills it gets a foregrip, after 20 it gets a barrel attachment, after 30 it gets a sight, etc. However for TDM I don't think so. This could be another different game type.

Looking at q2 and qw work you have tiers of weapons. This is fine, in fact in a lot of ways it is good. Depending on how the game played you could have the lower tier of weapon never disapear when picked up.

Spawn with... knife + a pistol. M9 or something. You would be able to pickup as much stuff as you wanted - some things would replace, eg medpack/ammobox supply, possibly limit explosives to one slot.

Tier 1
A heavier pistol - G18 or .44
1-2 low quality PDW/carbine

Tier 2
1-2 "top" ARs - kitted with accessories to make them better than T1 carbines.
1 LMG [6]
MC870

Tier 3
AR+M26. Probably an AR that is better at close range.
M320
RPGs
Rifle of some description [1]

Other Pickups
Paddles [2]
Ammo [3]
Medkits [3]
Hand grenades [7]
Various m320/shotgun ammo [4]
Claymores
Flash bangs [7]
Some way of doing armour [5]
C4
TUGS [8]

Tier1 PDW/Carbine would have no attachments. Tier2 AR would have attachments depending on how large the break between T1/T2 is going to be - I would be for the best ARs in T2 with the "best" attachments. Possibly allow players to outkit their weapons themseleves. Or force attachments on them as players cannot be trusted to select the best.

This is if one wanted to have tiers, and with BF3 guns I think a tiered structure would work best.

[1] I list a rifle only because I think it should be there. However I would think that 4v4/5v5 maps would be too small for this with a large scope. It may be too niche to be powerful. Still fun to have around.

[2] Notice I have not included a quad yet. There is a possibility that quad would not be suitable, so we have paddles instead. This is the inverse of quad - instead of racking up a batch of kills in a short time you revive your team mates and deny points. Don't know how that would go. Alternatively just as something to have around would be fun.

[3] I envision this along the lines of 2 pickups. Pickup 1 is the item that allows you to give out ammo or medkits. Item 2 is the "ammo" for that item. This way you cannot camp it up in one area with both and not need to come out. Possibly health + ammo packs also work when the player picks them up, this is a way to "store" them and redistribute them.

[4] This is interesting. Another old style FPS called warsow (is free, check it out) has weapons that have two ammo types. Type 1 is standard and type 2 is generally stronger. Having ammo like this for the M320 and shotguns adds another level of interest. With ammo you could "upgrade" the status of a T2 weapon to a T3 weapon.

[5] Armour is required/extra health is required. It is what TDM revolves around and it allows encounters to last longer than otherwise. Squad perks already partially do this, the damage/suppression reduction talents can be used along with something more. 1 big armour and 2 weaker per map is usually an ok mix.

[6] Only the LMG + T3 weapons suppress. All other weapons do not suppress on miss. Suppression takes control away from the player. Lower tier weapons can suppress on damage given, much like oldschool screen flash. This "beefs up" the higher level weapons and gives them some added utility. The AT in T3 would not suppress.

[7] Allow priming.

[8] Even without a mini map this would be handy as it beeps.

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

Though heck, it might just work anyways... Start off with nothing but a pistol and knife, then pick up a kit from the ground somewhere. Though at least I would want to think of BF3 as more tactical and realistic than a normal spray and pray shooter game ;>

Not kit, weapon. Kits have too much in them.

There would be no classes in this scenario, your pickups would dictate what "class" you are. There are a lot of pickups listed above, every map would not need all of them. By limiting what you add to each map you add flavour. This is something that the epic devs never got. They had 9 solid weapons and insisted on including every gun on every map with max ammo. The fact that half the guns double up on fire modes/styles just added to this.

Quoted

Squad deathmatch sometimes has a vehicle on it which respawns ~2 minutes after last one was destroyed, which would be somewhat similar to quad+shield belt... ish... Though for some reason a lot of players just ignores it even though it's obviously a massive upgrade.. In UT most perceived it only as bonus damage and health... I just run over and pick it up and annihilate the enemy teams :s

In what I am thinking of vehicles would not work overly well. I did think of this, however because RPGs would be a pickup you end up with a problem where a vehicle has no counter. Plus I would rather this "new' TDM take place is maps that are multiple level with good interconnection and distinct areas. There are no examples from BF3 but I would imagine that they would be mostly indoor affairs.

Quad

This stuff would need serious testing/balancing.

Quad might not work, at least not a straight up damage multiplier.

Some other items that would possibly suit.

Rate of fire increase.

Damage taken reduction.

Invulnerability to X - can be killed by explosions, but not bullets or vice versa.

Removal of kickback/spread.

Some sort of high powered weapon, like the BFG from Q3.

The important thing in this is that the player who gets this item needs to still play and it does not just insta kill the enemy team, thus allowing them to take the holder down. Things that are not suitable - airstrikes that kill the enemy team, Total immunity to damage.

Spawning

BF3 likes to spawn you on your team, or in the case of TDM near your team. This is not really suitable for traditional TDM as spawn killing is part of the game and escaping spawn death is an important skill. Likewise knowing when to push the opponent after dying before they can heal up after spawning near them. It works both ways.

A pickup could be added that allows spawning on your team, spawning your team/a player in on you when activated etc.

Map

The minimap would be removed.

To counteract this the sound system would need revamping to allow players to locate enemy using sound. One possibility is the more you carry the louder your player clanks. Because of the small scale player communication is important thus removing the map and forcing players to communicate with each other.

Thats all I've got so far :P Basically spin a traditional FPS in BF3

Edit; No health regen - obviously.

Date of registration
: Jan 29th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 12:28am

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

Quoted from ""stock""

Ah yes... Been a while since I played UT, especially against humans... Godlike bots are pretty easy to kill even if they have quad or shield belt : /

Better yet, turn the kick pick up into supply drop zones, and I guess give the entire team a huge ammo pool to share from. Ammo packs could have a set amount of resupplies before they run dry or disappear. So this way ammo is cumulative across the board, and if someone dies, w.e amount of ammo they held was lost. But since it's BF3 besides the vehicles, ammo seems to be the only important resource...
Grenades could be cumulative too I guess. And Medpacks would restore not only health, but let's say a respawn or something. Idk:/

A VIP game mode would be awesome.

Two teams. The map would progress somewhat like Rush, except there would be checkpoints (Radar site, explained in the 4th Section down).
The defenders' VIP would be an AI controlled IFV of some sort of vehicle (imagine a VIP Chopper...INTENSE Air to Air. And only Air to Air...). Or better yet two VIPs, two squads to each...would prevent the "Squad Rush" phenomenon, i. small team focused objectives with only 4v4. I guess there could be a squad variant of this VIP.

The Defenders (or the guys preventing the VIP from moving up) would have AI controlled positions, like let's say mortars or something in a fixed position (fixed HMGs, TOW missiles, CROW Turret System, something), that could damage the VIPs (Defending players could too of course). Along with that, they will have mini objectives for instance, set up a minefield at a certain highlighted area which will they receive attack order points for (designated via the game, randomly).
There will be a set number of fixed positions per check point, and any fixed position that wasn't destroyed from the last checkpoint remain until destroyed. Of course there will be geographical and range limitations to these things.

Heck, even possibly have artillery far off the map that Aircraft could take out. Then Aircraft wouldn't be so useless and there would be such a thing as Air Superiority. Artillery will strike at regular 7minute intervals. Unless destroyed.

*Both sides would have tickets...The guys pushing up (VIPers) would start off with let's say 50 more tickets than the guys preventing the VIP from pushing forward. The VIPers tickets bleed the longer they are stuck at a certain check point. Deaths won't count toward ticket loss. The Defenders lose tickets per death, and anytime a fixed positions id destroyed.

In order to move from one check point to another, Radar positions (think of an MCOMM) have to be taken out. Yeah, not those fixed offensive positions that the Defending side have. Those are optional for the VIPers. Along with the destruction of Radar sites, the artillery strike intervals will be interrupted and restarted.This would give incentive for some really intense team gameplay. Choices for both the Defenders and VIPers. The defenders have to choose between defending fixed positions, in hope that it would take out the VIP faster, or defends the Radar site, to prevent the Forward push and replenishing of the VIPers Infantry. The VIPers have a choice between attacking the fixed positions first, or taking out the Radar positions and keep moving ahead with the stress of more fixed positions.

The actual Infantry will start the fight ahead of the VIP. The VIP will be moving quite slow, and even slower still if it get's Disabled (which engi's can fix up of course). The game ends when either the Defends destroy the VIPs or reduce the reinforcement count to 0, or when the VIPers push through to the designated position or reduce the Defenders resources (Infantry, Fixed Positions, Artillery) to 0.

*still debating the ticket issue. tell me your opinion.

Anyways, that's all I got for now:p
G3A3 or bust

Gunners and passengers are just for show.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, February 6th 2012, 12:44am

Pistols only free-for-all. Just for teh lulz.

DINOSAUR MODE!!!!!
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jan 29th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 1:09am

bump?
G3A3 or bust

Gunners and passengers are just for show.

Date of registration
: Jan 27th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Thursday, February 9th 2012, 3:36am

I'd like to see the Coral Sea map from BF1943

Jets and AA guns on carriers only. Machine guns only and no vehicle perks. Soflam and Javelin ok.
I think it would be a hit anyway. BF does vehicles so well, why not have a flying map?

Date of registration
: Jan 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 10th 2012, 9:21pm

I think a tug-o-war (well push-o-war) would work well. Put all the flags in a line (10 or so) and have only a single flag available for capture at any given time. Open up the level a bit more so it's not tunneled like metro. Both sides have a low ticket count like rush where when it expires, the respawn is pushed towards the losing team's side (bidirectional rush with conquest flags). When you hold the flag, the tickets tick down for the opposing team. It may be a better balance idea to actually have 2 flags available beside each other at any time so there's room to move and flank (same reason for 2 mcoms I assume).
Picture the following where X is out of bounds flag and + are currently active ones:
| X X + X X |
| X X + X X |
Right side hits 0 tickets, reset both sides to 100 tickets and shift spawns:
| X X X + X |
| X X X + X |
First team to push to the end wins.
The main problem I forsee with this game mode is unlike all others, it could potentially never end. It's probably a thing DICE wants to avoid so would have to put a global timer or something that just gives the team in the lead the victory after x pushes.

And yeah, a map which was purely air vehicle death match would be interesting indeed! I picture 6 jets and 6 helis in the air for each team fighting it out with a nice high ceiling and only ocean below (out of bounds when ejected).

As for OP, my favourite is the king of the hill mode ;) That'd be fun.
Sometimes a guy needs MVP and a 5:1 ratio, sometimes he just wants to fly jets under bridges ...

Date of registration
: Dec 9th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, February 10th 2012, 10:38pm

Quoted from ""stock""

When quad is spawning soon on dm6

^ G status right here ^

Date of registration
: Feb 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 14th 2012, 9:53am

"Special Ops"

something we used to do in CS.S

one team would be inside a large warehouse of some kind, other team spawned outside, night map, all the good stuff

team would have to move in and take tiny "flag areas" inside the building, each about a room large. taking and holding all of them prevented the other team from re-spawning and causing you to win. would put things like suppressors, Tugs, soflams, flashlights, lasers, and close range optics, and shotguns all to excellent use, and players through their paces, working together where some people are putting heavy fire on the building whereas others are silently sneaking around to flank and take rooms

o u ob
I'm too cool for a signature.