Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "chilln73" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 4:28pm

Secret nerf of semi-auto snipers

Has anybody noticed that the ROF of the all the semi-auto sniper weapons dials down when an opponent is close.

I'm not talking about the "misfires" that occur when the button is pressed too fast. I'm talking about the firing rate is at least HALF when a target is less than 10m away.

I thought it had something to do with the optics, but the same thing occurs even if I'm using 4x scope.

If the semi-auto rifles had the same ROF at close range they would be beastly (almost as good as shotguns), so i understand if DICE wants some type of nerf for close range.

Hidden nerfs suck.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 4:29pm

Re: Secret nerf of semi-auto snipers

Correction. The SKS rifle ROF stays the same.

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2011

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 6:23pm

...what? xD

i'd love to see a demo of this phenomenon

Date of registration
: Jan 31st 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 7:46pm

"When an opponent is close?"

That is so vague, dude. Also I've been using semi-auto snipers for a while and I think I would have noticed something as weird as this. I find this really hard to believe.

Do you mean when an opponent is physically nearby, or when you are shooting at an enemy, or when you are landing shots on a nearby enemy? You might just be experiencing your perception of time altering when you are in a really intense situation or something, that's the best explanation I can come up with. As a former tournament level Brood War player, if I'm watching a replay of a StarCraft game instead of playing it it looks like everything's moving twice as fast.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 9:23pm

I'll get a video if I can.

There is already a known issue where some of the semi-auto weapons "misfire" if the button is pressed to fast.

The only time i notice the problem is if the target is close. Close means less than 15m away.

Perfect example. Last night I had two targets. One was 20+meters away and the other one about 12m away . I turn to the closer target fire rate: Fire, click click .... click Fire then target dies.

I turn the the second target, pop pop pop - dead.

The max fire rate seems to cycle down if the target is close.

I know I've experienced this. I'm just checking to see if anyone else has seen the phenomena.

Date of registration
: Jan 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 10:06pm

I would imagine this would actually be related to the misfire bug. At range you'll only be clicking to fire again when your sights settle a bit, therefor ensuring that the bug doesn't manifest (as your not spamming your mouse). However at shorter ranges where you're trying to fire as fast as possible (disregarding muzzle rise), the bug may manifest itself as a very slow rate of fire.

I've got about 1200 kills with semi auto snipers and I recall loosing point blank engagements because my rifle refuses to fire at a reasonably rate. But I believe it to be the burst bug in action. The 1911 also behaves in the same way. But I noticed that if I regulated my clicks just right, the rate of fire would increase dramatically.

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 2:38am

Its no bug.

When firing a weapon on semi-auto, if you actually manage to pull the trigger faster the the ROF the following will happen.

First this is normal firing..

1. Trigger is pulled
2. Hammer goes forward, hitting Round A's percussion cap (EDIT hammer hits the firing pin inside the bolt, which in turn hits the percussion cap)
3. Gunpowder and cordite is ignited in Round A
4. Round A's slug of metal (also know as a bullet) is propelled down the barrel of said weapon fast, very fast
5. Gas from Round A (in a conventional weapon like the M16 or L85A2) causes the gas assembly to 'push' the bolt rearwards
6. Round A is ejected
7. Round B is 'picked' up from the magazine and primed for firing (aka pulling the trigger again)
8. Rinse and repeat (Ooh Rah)

however when up pull the trigger like a madman on Semi-Auto

1-5 is the same
6. As Round A is being ejected and you are pulling the trigger to fast (as in micro seconds too early) the hammer will force the bolt to either do 3 things. 1) Nothing will happen and you continue firing 2) Bolt encounters resistance from the hammer hitting it and does not fully eject Round A or 3) Hammer hits the bolt as it is ejecting Round A but picks up Round B, causing a clusterfuck of rounds and you then shout stopage.

As this game does not have stopages, I believe they added it in to make it feel more realistic, as firing a 7.62 round would cause a significant amount of recoil and you should be using your 9mm handgun. As if you are using a DMR at ranges of <10 something has gone wrong, in real life that is!

Hope it helps/makes sense :'D

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 3:26am

wow, very complete and informative answer. thanks
14:19 KingSix: when you are peeing too much Haemoglobin, THAT's a serious issue
14:20 KingSix: ..
14:20 ToTheSun: chat killed

Sao

(680)

Date of registration
: Jan 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 4:31am

Quoted from ""KingSix""

wow, very complete and informative answer. thanks

Spend a good few years round weapons you know how they work! Obviously some weapons are strange and abnormal... the G11 for example and the AN-94

My Video

I used to be an asker like you, then I took a search bar to the knee....

Thursday, February 2nd 2012, 6:43am

7.62 mm (well actually .300 Win Mag) has been my largest calibre I've fired in real life, but I only know how the recoils feels from a single shot, using an Savage arms bolt-action rifle. So I wondering how you compare it to semi and full automatic fire?
14:19 KingSix: when you are peeing too much Haemoglobin, THAT's a serious issue
14:20 KingSix: ..
14:20 ToTheSun: chat killed