Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Havoc" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 6:57am

Re: Mortars

Quoted from ""Aenonar""

You can actually be knifed when mortaring
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll have to try it some more on a test server. As you mentioned though, it's a better idea just to shoot them at first sight.

Quoted from ""Noon416""

White flash: Definitely happens with every normal (i.e. not going to be an invisible) deployment of a mortar by any player... One thing I've started noticing is that some of the white-flash markers recently are slightly out in terms of where they pop...

Invisible mortars (PC): I too haven't any idea what causes the invisible mortar but they definitely occur on PC as well. I'll strike one every 5-6 rounds played and it doesn't seem to be based on where you deploy, as I've been killed by invisible mortars deployed in a particular spot and later in the round I've killed the same person when they've been marked as shooting from the exact same spot (observations in TDM, can't confirm it for Conquest).

As per that statement, from my observation it hasn't persisted through death but that's not to say that Havoc is wrong, just that I personally haven't observed a player remaining invisible once killed and redeploying (this is referring to pub TDM servers).
Thanks for the input. I used to noticed the white flash markers all the time, recently, over a couple of days, I racked up 300 mortar kills and started noticing that the white flashes were not regularly showing up for me. I assumed it was a bug due to the fact that other equipment (MAV/spawn beacon) would randomly 'blip' when I didn't think they were supposed to. It might be the intention that all equipment is supposed to 'blip' though, I was just speculating in my previous post. We were able to reproduce the 'blip' not showing up on a test server though. We didn't do anything special, he just stood out of sight and setup.

As for the persisting through death. I only know that it happened once for sure. In that game, one of my friends saw his white setup blip and killed him. He then respawned and continued to mortar invisibly until we confronted him.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 7:03am

I just had a thought. Maybe the mortar blips when it fails to setup due to you not actually being in the mortar vehicle. When someone is in a jeep and they hop out, the jeep will show up white on the map for everyone to see (even if they haven't been spotted prior).

This could be why when you see a blip, then they fire, they're often a few meters away. Their placement failed and they had to move. This would also make sense for spawn beacons too, they always fail to setup.

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Battlelog:

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 10:52pm

Could someone verify if mortars are invisible if your weapon has a silencer on it? This seems like it could be a very plausible oversight/bug on Dices part. Not many supports ever run silencers. The chances of a silencer/mortar player are pretty rare and could explain the frequency of what we see.

Date of registration
: Jan 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Friday, February 3rd 2012, 11:58pm

Actually, now that you've reminded me that the Mortar is classed as a vehicle by the game, the blip is most likely a miniscule delay between the "Spawn Vehicle" and "Put player into vehicle" steps.

It could also explain the difference in placement if it's what I suspect, if the 'vehicle' is spawned as soon as you hit deploy. Still haven't been able to confirm my theory though, work continues on that.

Will also test the suppressor theory.

Date of registration
: Jan 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, February 4th 2012, 4:28am

Actually, I've just realised why the markers are "out". There seems to be some weird perspective shift on the mini-map, in that as you move the cross-hair further away from where they're marked (white or normal), the icon moves away from it's position.

Hard to explain ... Say if when you have the cross-hair right on them, they're in the middle of a small building. As you move the cross-hair away, their marker will move outside the building.

Start (accurate indication, [ ] is building, X is marker)
[X]

Moving cross-hair away somewhat
[ X

Cross-hair moved away a great deal (to almost edge of visibility).
[ ] X

The actual mortar/player hasn't moved but their marker has. So the further away you're looking when the deployment flashes, the more inaccurate your spotting is. I suspect this has been there all along now, I've just started looking more away from the usual places when monitoring for mortar deployments. One non-existant issue eliminated. :)

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Battlelog:

Sunday, February 5th 2012, 6:54am

I think I have verified that the mortar is NOT invisible until you shoot. There must be a time delay from when you setup and when it appears on mini map. I was counter mortared after "parking" my mortar and not firing in TDM today in the back of a map. Player could have just seen my white flash, so that is why I stated "I think"

This is a hard thing to fully verify unless you have 2 dedicated people.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 11:51pm

We did a little testing and with placement. White equipment markers showed up:

Spawn Beacon - 5/10 (50%)
Spawn Beacon (fail) - 0/10
Mortar - 9/10 (90%)
Mortar (fail) - 0/10

An interesting we found is that if you fail placing your mortar, you show up on the minimap as if you fired a weapon. This happened 9/10 (90%) tries.

As well, if you fail placement and then immediately place properly, the white mortar blip does not show up (only your red triangle).

Date of registration
: Feb 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 1:36am

Interesting research, Havoc, thank you!

Does an "empty" mortar show up on minimaps as a persistent white icon, like an empty vehicle?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 2:29am

Quoted from ""KuMardagg""

Does an "empty" mortar show up on minimaps as a persistent white icon, like an empty vehicle?
No, we also didn't notice any difference when deploying a new mortar (with an old one already on the map).

Date of registration
: Dec 28th 2011

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 12:27pm

Thanks again Havoc -8D-