Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Havoc" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 4:04am

Mortars

Here is some empirical data we found from testing mortars.

Mortars

Damage (directly on top of the target):
50 dmg explosive (45 with flak)
34 dmg projectile

It seems that with mortars, flak actually reduces the maximum damage. With flak on we could not do more than 45 explosive damage. We found that standing, we would get hit by the mortar projectile about 1/10 shots (causing an extra 34dmg).

The damage is the same regardless of your stance (laying/standing). However, we assume that laying will give more surface area for the projectile to do +34 damage (we did not fire enough mortars to statistically prove that though). This to make sense with my anecdotal evidence. I seemingly get more OHK's on snipers in HC (although they could have be hurt before I hit them).

Date of registration
: Jan 31st 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 7:09am

Re: Mortars

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this and the claymore one. Very useful information.

Date of registration
: Jan 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 10:47am

Awesome info I got a request could you get info on smoke mortar? Since its smoke it got no explosive Dmg but I have killed someone with the smoke before although the game does not specify in the kill feed it still says "blah" used mortar. So I'm assuming the smoke does 35 Dmg on projectile impact much like the explosive ammo?

Symthic

Head Administrator

(1,641)

Date of registration
: Nov 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 12:46pm

Smoke projectile:

Source code

TimeToLive 5.0
			InitialSpeed 350.0
	Damage 100.0
		BlastDamage 0.0
		BlastRadius 7.0

HE projectile:

Source code

TimeToLive 5.0
			InitialSpeed 350.0
	Damage 100.0
		InnerBlastRadius 1.5
		BlastDamage 50.0
		BlastRadius 7.0

Damage - Direct damage from projectile
InnerBlastRadius - The radius where it does the full BlastDamage
BlastRadius - Maxmimum distance where it does any damage

It's like with weapons.
InnerBlastRadius and BlastRadius being min and max distance
BlastDamage is the maximum damage and minimum damage is always 0
BF3: Objective per minute: World top 1%

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 6:13pm

Another very important thing to remember with mortars is the cooldown is independent for each round type. This means you can launch explosive/smoke/explosive/smoke in the same time as explosive/explosive. This is by far more effective because you may score a smoke kill and you nullify your target for a short period of time with the small smoke if you don't hit directly with this round.

Also note that you seem to be invisible on the mini map UNTIL you shoot your first mortar. Use this to your advantage and move often. This does many things:

Keeps your opponents guessing
Minimizes your time as big red target on the minimap
allows you to survive an incoming shell if you are packing up /not in mortar screen.

I think (NEEDS TO BE VERIFIED) the mini map flashes with a white mortar icon briefly when you setup your mortar to the enemy. It disappears until your first shot. The enemy must be looking at your location to see this event. This is a bug, but you can use it to pop counter mortars before they get you if you are fast. Launch and skat.

Mortars are obviously OHK when you are in mortar station. This makes your primary targets ALWAYS enemy mortars first.

Any mortar damage info on vehicles?

Date of registration
: Jan 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 6:15pm

About 20, regardless of where it hits.

Date of registration
: Dec 18th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 7:17pm

what if it doesnt hit the vehicle, does blast radius help do any damage?

Date of registration
: Jan 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 7:24pm

Tanks are immune to splash damage from projectile explosives like RPGs and other tank shells and considering the mortar is also technically a projectile I don't think the blast radius helps. But that's just speculation.

Date of registration
: Jan 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 8:43pm

The other thing Havoc forgot to add from our testing: when standing directly above the mortar, the projectile fires through you doing 34 dmg.

Symthic, your data says 100 for direct hit but it was quite hard to directly hit someone. When we thought it happened, the damage seemed to only be 34. Ideas?
Sometimes a guy needs MVP and a 5:1 ratio, sometimes he just wants to fly jets under bridges ...

Date of registration
: Dec 6th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 9:02pm

100 direct damage; 50 blast damage sounds right to me. I've got almost 200 kills with mortars and 99% of the time a hit marker on a stationary target will instant kill. If they are moving or I'm slightly off target I'll generally get a kill assist of 50 (or very, very close to) before I can fire a second shell.