Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "insurrectiveSatyr" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 25th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:49am

What do YOU think about adjustable or zeroable sights.

Now, I did a quick search and didn't see anything addressing this... so I thought it'd make a great FIRST POST (Yay, hooray!).

So... when I say adjustable or zeroable, I mean the ability to set your sight to a designated range.

For example, and to give just one instance of how this feature could be useful, imagine you're playing Gulf of Oman, Conquest, Hardcore as support. You have a PKP with a PSO-1 sight and bipod, and you are prone up on the third floor of the building adjacent to flag D. The enemy has just taken A, and are now advancing towards B. Noting the approximate distance as being about 150, or 250, however far the flag is from D, you set your scope for that distance and proceed to provide effectively lethal fire, giving your teammates the opportunity to reorganize themselves set the front between A and B.

Now the same thing could be done for any other weapons mounting a scope. The same could be done for holos and iron sights, but I hesitate to consider the difficulty in making these function in such a way, especially iron sights, as the number of moving parts on some of these weapons, like the Type 88, PKP, M60, and others is significant. And as for assault rifles, carbines, lmgs, pdws, and sniper rifles, some of these sport removable iron sights on rails which may not be adjustable at all, or have sights that can only be adjust with the proper tools as might the holos. So then you would have weapons that can and can't function, weapons that may encounter reliability problems, and a lot of work which I'm sure DICE wouldn't ever want to do.

But this is less so for scopes. They can have a much simpler animation, just the twist of a knob, with the distance set to displayed on the hud. And although this would still take some work, involving the scopes adjusting their compensation based on the weapon which they sits on's specific performance, and even the fact that this is unlikey will never be implemented into BF3, let alone consoles, I personally would welcome and appreciate the ability, as would other machine gunners, designated marksman, and snipers.

(Btw, I know they have this in ARMA, but unfortunately I do not have a computer capable of running ARMA at a bearable rate. If I did, I probably wouldn't play BF3 a quarter of the time I do now! But seeing as I'm stuck with a PS3... I intend to squeeze, or atleast talk about squeezing, every bit of enjoyment I can out of the game, from the review of tactics to the analysis of performance charts and statistics. Is it futile? I don't know. Am I OCD? That is a distinct possibility. But so long as I have the ability to think, I will continue to ponder and raise questions as to what can be done, and how it can be done better.)

(And for those of you who've read this, and humored the idea, I thank you)

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:51am

Wait, so what does it do? I don't get it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(
Also, why does the RANDOM thread have a topic?

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Mickey

I can't control my signature

(707)

Date of registration
: May 14th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:55am

It's a really good idea, but it would drastically increase the number of snipers 3000m away from the objective

MY CURRENT ORIGIN/BLOG NAME: Murrican-Mickey

I say what I want to say and I do what I want to do.
There is no in between.
People will either love you for it or hate you for it.
-Eminem
Inspired by Mickey

LOL Riesig

Riesig seems like the type of person that would jack off in public and think nothing of it.
He does. And people join him anyways.
What, NO!

And then later:

Fapping and lifting 5 gallons of water is dumb.

Also, because i'm skinny asian.

/QQ

My worst fear is not being able to make any more threads.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:55am

Are you suggesting scopes that show you where your round is going to hit, ignoring bullet drop? I actually kind of like the idea as long as it's not available on bolt-actions.
Or are you suggesting variable-magnification optics?
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Mickey

(707)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:56am

Or are you suggesting variable-magnification optics?
YES! YES! YES! A thousand times YES!

There is no in between.
-Eminem
Inspired by Mickey

LOL Riesig

Riesig seems like the type of person that would jack off in public and think nothing of it.
What, NO!

And then later:

/QQ

Mickey

(707)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 5:58am

Basically what he's saying(i think) is being able to scope your gun for whatever range you want, instead of the current 0m scope in or whatever. So i could scope in my JnG-90 at 600m so there is only bullet drop past 600m

There is no in between.
-Eminem
Inspired by Mickey

LOL Riesig

What, NO!

And then later:

/QQ

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,925)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 6:00am

@Suiizide

If you were using a gun, you could adjust the sight so that it's "zeroed" at, say, 300m.

That means that, if you aim correctly, the shot will hit at 300m without the need of manual compensation.

So, with the press of a button, you could make your M40A5's centre cross set so you don't have to "compensate" at 300m.

I think it would be something most useful on LMGs, since providing suppressing fire at 150m and thus adding in a little compensation can be hard to do, specially on targets running from cover to cover.

As you said, it's not something that will get implemented at this stage of the game, but wouldn't be a bad addition on future installations either. Personally, I'd rather see more effort put on net code improvements.

And welcome to Symthic, enjoy your stay.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Battlelog:

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 6:04am

I think I see what you're getting at. Theoretically, doing so would make the scope useless anywhere before 300m, as you'd have to aim below the target? It is an interesting idea but I don't know how useful it is. It seems gimmicky to me honestly. Nevertheless, it would be a cool gimmick.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(
Also, why does the RANDOM thread have a topic?

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Cheapnub

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 6:08am

The idea is nice, but the result would be even more useless snipers

I'm putting this blatantly simple out here: In order to save the game, no...no..HELL NO

Date of registration
: Jan 16th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, December 19th 2012, 6:28am

I like this idea, but there are also some issues.

I think the problem are:
(1)Only when normal weapons, like assault rifles, can kill or damage heavily in one shot, it will only be useful on some specific guns.
(2)It will make long range sniping easier, as long as you know the range, and this may cause camping more common.
(3)The current zeroing at point blank range ....well.. is not realistic but quite suits the normal fighting range in this game, though I think zeroing at 50m may be better in this game.
(4)All in all, it's a game that might be "authentic", but not realistic.
(5)I don't think DICE is so diligent that they will implement this feature into their game. You have to consider the height difference between the sight and the barrel, bullet velocity, etc.

BTW, about zeroing and point blank range:
Si vis pacem, para bellum---If you want peace, prepare for war.