Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:42. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Frankelstner" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 19th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:18pm

BF3 File Tweaker

This thread is only about the tool itself: With this tool you can tweak weapons easily and make controlled tests: ---removed again---

It does not support DLC archives. Post your findings over here: Documentation of the keywords

Requires .NET 4.5.

Instructions:
1) Either create a new cat or open the existing cas.cat. Note that the cat in the Update folder overwrites most of the original entries so it is highly recommended to look there first. Also note that DLC uses sbtoc archives and is affected only peripherally (it might be not affected at all).
2) Modify any value written in bold.
3) Save and activate the cat.

The tool will not write into the original assets (the cas archives) but instead create new cas archives in the range 50-99. It will make a copy of the original file to be tweaked in the new cas archive and apply changes there. The game uses a cat file containing the file hash, offset, size and archive number for each entry. I just tell the cat that the asset to look for (via hash) is not in archive 1-10 but instead in archive 50 so the cat file has to be overwritten to make any changes. However, the tool will make a backup of the cat. Also, the information contained is purely redundant as the cas archives themself have all the information to create a cat file from scratch (the tool is capable of that too if you delete all cats).

To unmod the game just select the appropriate "Restore Cat". You can add a new cat in case you don't want to lose all changes when reverting to the unmodded game. Also, if you directly change cas.cat, change a few things so a new cas archive is created and then restore the cat, that cas archive has just become useless. If you keep doing that you might end up with lots of cas archives that are not used anymore so you will probably want to manually delete them. I recommend making a new cat instead of tweaking cas.cat. Basically you alter the new cat when making tweaks and when you press "Activate" the new cat will be copied to cas.cat.

This post has been edited 8 times, last edit by "Frankelstner" (Oct 2nd 2012, 5:59pm)

Sym

Head Administrator

(1,641)

Date of registration
: Nov 29th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:19pm

Looks like it works online too at the moment, so I have informed EA about this and am now directly in contact with DICE to solve this as quick as possible.

This tool is meant for analysis purposes only, not to be abused online!
BF3: Objective per minute: World top 1%

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "Sym" (Sep 27th 2012, 9:59pm) with the following reason: Bleh

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:19pm

Might be very interesting for recoil analysis...
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

PyaKura

Password Giver

(327)

Date of registration
: Apr 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:23pm

If some of our super-members come to get their hands on it, then we can do some testing before sending the report to DICE, even though it seems to be illegal...

Well, this file tweaker has a great potential, but I don't know if we should use it even for the sake of balance...
Ded.

Haemoglobin

Soft Drink Trafficker

(667)

Date of registration
: Feb 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:27pm

Oh god, please remove the download link here.
I sprint outside my building and judder my way around the block, screaming obscenities at the neighbors before getting stuck on a small hedge and blacking out.
Prepares me perfectly for my in game experience.

Quoted from "LucidNonsenze"

Noobs deserve better!

Quoted from "tehmoriz"

turning on my desk lamp causes my computer to play the "usb disconnected" sound

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:31pm

I'd like to keep the possibility of editing files, but obviously punk buster should kick for that. I think keeping the possibility to test some modified files on empty unranked non Pb servers would be very valuable.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

• "Frankelstner" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:36pm

I'd like to keep the possibility of editing files, but obviously punk buster should kick for that. I think keeping the possibility to test some modified files on empty unranked non Pb servers would be very valuable.

Agreed.

Date of registration
: May 31st 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:39pm

Interesting.
PS3: fustyferret148
New TV, no input lag! WOOP WOO- ahh, forget it.

Freds quotes of the year

Quoted from "Nick30075"

Hey, my mother cut my hair! It saved me ten bucks, four of which I had to spend on a hat.

Quoted from "Oscar"

I for one don't oppose boob assimilation! BRING IT ON! (. Y .)

Quoted from "ASG M14 manual"

Shooting at people may result in punishment

Quoted from "LucidNonsenze"

Beer and IRC chat is probably a good idea

Quoted from "chat shenanigans"

<22:54> Revolver_0celo7: yo dick is a sausage
<22:54> fredofthewoods: ALL THE FAT CHICKS LOVE IT

Resident ofSymthicia!!

Athemoe worries me sometimes...

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,967)

Date of registration
: Apr 10th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:40pm

I really think this is a "get you a job at Dice" sort of thing.

But they of course ask you to go to them directly, as opposed to publishing it on your own. What are your thoughts?
My father used to say, We find our true friends on the Battlefield! - J0hn Snow

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 7:41pm

Will DICE be able to counter this quickly? I hope we don't have to deal with people using modified damage and various advantages for several months.