Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:47. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 6:51pm

Re: Burst Fire mode vs Burst firing w/ Full-Auto

In all fairness the only weapon whom's burst is of any use is the AN-94:

I never use burst mode because of a few reasons:
[list]I can get more bullets per burst in full auto (less of the first shot downside)
Should I get thrown into a CQB situation my gun tends to jam (I can hit about 850 rpm while panicking)
It doesn't save between respawns! I've died on a few occasions because I thought I was in burst and controlled my trigger pulls to prevent jamming[/list]

A 5 round burst on the L85 is teh sex <3

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 10:57pm

Quoted from ""FrostBite""

[list]I can get more bullets per burst in full auto (less of the first shot downside)
Should I get thrown into a CQB situation my gun tends to jam (I can hit about 850 rpm while panicking)
It doesn't save between respawns! I've died on a few occasions because I thought I was in burst and controlled my trigger pulls to prevent jamming[/list]

The KH2002 is fantastic! The 3 round burst guns seem to have been given the shaft, though. Also, I've gotten quite used to hitting the D-Pad down twice to switch to burst and once more to switch to fully auto. I rarely, if ever (Probably once since B2K), get killed by a mistaken fire mode switch.

Just recently I have started using the M4, and just a few days ago I started having trouble bursting accurately with the Heavy Barrel. I don't remember having so much trouble before, but the recoil seems to have increased.. Removing it seems to fix the issue, but its rather odd, as it wasn't that bad before. Not to mention its a lot less accurate, maybe this coincided with me turning off auto aim? Leaving it on feels too much like cheating.

Out of all the burst guns, here are my findings:

Assault-v
M16A3- Without Heavy Barrel its nothing special, with it its just too much recoil. I honestly didn't like bursting with this gun.
M416- Haven't used this in forever. Its fully auto was so accurate I didn't see the point of bursting, IMO.
AEK-971- Good burst with or without Heavy Barrel, even though its better with. My 3rd place bursting weapon.
AN-94- Haven't used this at all, plus I don't think the 1200 rpm burst works on Xbox.
KH2002- My favorite AR and has extremely accurate bursts even with the Heavy Barrel! In CQC it even wins out over most guns if you have a quick trigger finger. My 1st place bursting gun.
FAMAS- Dead on accurate at huge ranges and completely ridiculous up close, this gun is seriously overpowered. It BETTER get nerfed, I refuse to use it because its cheap.
L85A2- Burst is OK at most ranges, but too far and its useless. Heavy Barrel makes its recoil ridiculous, much better off just using Full Auto.

Engineer-v
M4- The burst on this gun is fantastic without a Heavy Barrel, but seems to have too much recoil with it. Still controllable, so its my 5th place bursting gun.
G36C- The two round burst on this gun is horribly inaccurate even with a Heavy Barrel, not worth it.
SG553- Haven't used this one enough to say anything.
G53- Used it a bit, but don't remember how well it performed, I'll skip this.

Support-v
QBB-95- Didn't use this at all, not gonna give it a grade.
MG36- My 2nd place bursting gun, this thing has amazing accuracy with its two-round burst. Ironically so, because the G36C (Carbine version of it) has horrible accuracy. Give me this thing with Extended Mags, a Foregrip, and a good sight, and you snipers better watch out :D.

PDWs-v
UMP-45- Haven't used this enough to say anything about it.
PDW-R- Absolutely horrible burst fire, its even less accurate then the G36C.

Sidearms-v
M93R- Fantastic burst capabilities considering its a sidearm, this is my favorite pistol in the game, as it was in BC2 and MW2. I rarely ever ADS when firing this, but I can hit medium range targets with its burst when hip firing, thats how accurate and controllable it is. My 4th place bursting gun.

So basically, the best bursting guns-v
1. KH2002 (2 Round, Semi-Auto)
2. MG36 (Auto, 2 Round, Semi-Auto)
3. AEK-973 (Auto, 3 Round, Semi-Auto)
4. M39R (3 Round, Semi-Auto)
5. M4 (3 Round, Semi-Auto)

Three of these are in my top 5, 4 of them I use currently. Funny, I just realized all my used guns (Besides snipers, der) have burst.

Date of registration
: Dec 18th 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 3:23am

Quoted

AN-94- Haven't used this at all, plus I don't think the 1200 rpm burst works on Xbox.
FAMAS- Dead on accurate at huge ranges and completely ridiculous up close, this gun is seriously overpowered. It BETTER get nerfed, I refuse to use it because its cheap.

AN-94 has .67 first round recoild vs 2 or 2.5 of the other AR. Why doesnt this get more props from you?

Also the famas has terrible reload time. Its stats are better than the other ARs but not soo much better that I can tolerate actually playing with it.

• "MarvLevy" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 5:54pm

Quoted from ""Cera""

No it wouldn't.
Afaik burst fire is the technically same as auto fire with the only difference being the gun force stopping after 3 shots (with the famous exception of AN-94). If a gun -demonstrably- performs different I would rather tend to think that gun is glitched somehow.
My point was that burst modes just do something automatically that you could do better yourself.

There is no reason to fire in 2-bursts.
At very long ranges you have to stick to single fire because the heavy first recoil will make every further shot a miss. Guns that shine here are e.g. KH2002 or AN-94 (in single fire notably) because their first recoil is among the lowest.
In any other case you should keep firing in full auto until you feel the spread has gotten too large (you eventually get a feeling how long you can fire at which distance, I may sound much but I'm still talking about quick salvos of e.g. about half a dozen shots here). Then you stop firing for a mere moment, let spread settle and eat the first recoil again. As said the strength of the L85A2 lies in the very low succeeding recoil so can easily point right at target and thus maximize the hit chances of your increasingly spready bullets.
Ultimately, firing like this minimizes the amount of times you have to take the heavy first recoil while keeping spread at comfortable levels and thus maximizes your (real non-ttk) killing speed.

Cera - thanks for the explanation, cements my reasons for not using default burst-fire modes. i'll try your technique of 6-shot salvos very soon and let ya know how it works out. i'd also like to note that i've since been using the L85A2 in single-fire mode exclusively and its faired well, not anything to write home about but having a fast trigger finger does help and it's recoil decrease seemingly keeps the majority of my bullets on target. for those of you with similar trigger speeds you may want to adopt this. keep in mind i play cautious and conservatively and avoid as much cqc as possible.

Cera, do you have a preference as to which weapon you use in the Medic class? if so, do you mind sharing why?

• "MarvLevy" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2011

Battlelog:

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 9:34pm

Quoted from ""FrostBite""

Agreed Smilies, i probably play similarly to you. I've been using the L85A2 in full-auto for the random occasions i turn a corner with out checking it properly and there's an enemy standing right in front of me. Despite there being some controversy over bullet suppression and it's effectiveness, I will still put a few rounds down range at a target just to throw them off. Perhaps I'll give the AN94 a shot afterall, i figured it was an OP gun so i've avoided it all together.

How do you feel about the KH2002?

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2011

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 18th 2012, 7:39am

Quoted from ""MarvLevy""

Cera, do you have a preference as to which weapon you use in the Medic class? if so, do you mind sharing why?

Sure, I mainly use M16A3 for the insolently fast reload and AEK for best overall performance (both silenced). As you play less aggressively reload times might not be as important for you.

If I want good "manual" performance I pick the AN-94 with heavy barrel (KH2002 is a good gun but the burst mode doesn't work well with my trigger finger), single fire at range and burst fire else, low first recoil and ZERO spread even while moving let you excel in any situation.