Symthic Forum was shut down on January 11th, 2019. You're viewing an archive of this page from 2019-01-08 at 23:48. Thank you all for your support! Please get in touch via the Curse help desk if you need any support using this archive.

Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 15th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, February 6th 2012, 4:26pm

Re: Cheaters in Battlefield 3, your thoughts

There are only 2 areas of concern to correct the hacking issue. Detection and Enforcement/Punishment. Dice currently does very little (if anything) on both areas.

DETECTION:
Dice already captures and records all the data they need to police the issue and IDENTIFY hackers. In BC2 a website created an excellent model for Dice to use as a framework. Introducing the Cheat-O-Meter:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.team-des-fra.fr/html/cheat-analysis.php?p=wgknestrick" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.team-des-fra.fr/html/cheat-a ... gknestrick</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.team-des-fra.fr/html/cheat-analysis.php?p=AK47JlHAD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.team-des-fra.fr/html/cheat-a ... =AK47JlHAD</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Type in any players name and get a full cheat analysis on them. Have a look at mine vs the hacker. This is very effective means of identifying hackers (usually the hardest part). Red #s indicate possible hacking.

This was great and would tell you with good confidence if someone was a hacker or not if the "meter" went above 10% or so using only the recorded stats in game. They created a threshold for every stat that would start to indicate "cheating". Only the worst hackers maxed out the meter.
F Punkbuster, or any other stupid program trying to detect the actual cheat program directly. This is cat and mouse reactionary detection that will never stop hacking (we have 10yrs of Punkbuster to prove that statement). The STATS tell you if someone is hacking regardless of the program/method used. This means it is easy to maintain, and works NO MATTER WHAT THE HACKERS USE. Advanced Statistical analysis alone can tell you will great confidence whether someone is cheating or not.

So why can't Dice run this ALL the time in game to monitor players? It would be nice to have a Cheat-O-Meter next to every player on the scoreboard IN GAME. As the Cheat-O-Meter score gets larger and more confident about the conclusion, the penalties increase on Dice's part. This would revolutionize online gaming.

ENFORCEMENT:
What are the current ramifications of cheating? What do players stand to lose? Answer: NOTHING. This needs to change. Dice needs a progressive penalty system of timeout/cooldown, wiping stats, deactivating SN, deactivating entire Origin account. This would allow them softer enforcement of the fringe players (players very very good or possibly wall hacking) without royally screwing the good players. I am sure if you look at the data there should be a bell curve, but there would be a lot of players grouped (call these hackers) toward the high end of the curve skewing the population. These people / outliers are easy to identify, and should be punished.

I don't know what is legally "allow" as punishment according the EULA. If they can't deactivate anything, only allowing knifes would be pretty comical or have them able to be 1.

Date of registration
: Dec 6th 2011

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 4:45pm

I wonder if they are up to something with this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000001EEbUAAW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a ... 001EEbUAAW</a><!-- m -->

Of course it would probably take ages for something to come out of that.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 5:14pm

Quoted from ""Saniala""

I wonder if they are up to something with this: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000001EEbUAAW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a ... 001EEbUAAW</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course it would probably take ages for something to come out of that.

A programmer will usually not have the background required to create a robust enough system. They usually don't have the high level statistics background (different from general high level math) required IMO. The amount of programming is minimal IMO relative to the difficulty in creating the system. The data is already tracked which is a HUGE start. If that french website that made the Cheat-O-Meter did it, Dice should be able to knock it out in a month or less.

The solution is very simple to me and I don't see the difficulty in policing hackers. Hackers will always be tied to leaderboard and stat whoring. That is how you catch them. Trying to detect a constantly changing executable program that intercepts memory addresses is and has proven futile.

I am sure that PunkBuster is not free so there is money to be saved (IE incentive) on Dices' and EA's part.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, February 6th 2012, 6:20pm

Saw someone that could "remote-detonate" claymores and he was able to use them like C4. Same guy had OHK 870 cross-map. Could've been a glitch, but I'm inclined to think not. How this is possible on Xbox is beyond me.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2012, 6:57pm

Quoted from ""TheFrontlinesman""

Saw someone that could "remote-detonate" claymores and he was able to use them like C4. Same guy had OHK 870 cross-map. Could've been a glitch, but I'm inclined to think not. How this is possible on Xbox is beyond me.

They can be hacked just like a PC. Guys run custom front-ends on them to allow pirated games and also run hack programs. It is much more rare, but scumbags are everywhere. Like I said above, stats are the universal way to detect these guys. Once EA/Dice create this system, it can work across multiple platforms and cannot be easily countered by the hackers.

There will always be a tell tale stat to identify them regardless of their behavior:
K/D ratio
Score/min
Accuracy (max is around 25% for most weapons)
Headshot / kill ratio
Headshot / shot ratio

They can try to affect a couple of stats to mask the hacking (like random shooting to lower overall accuracy), but they will always leave a trace in stats that will identify them (headshot/kill ratio). Hackers stand out from the crowd. If they don't stand out from the crowd stat wise, then they really aren't affecting the game that much (IE using their hacks), and don't piss us off. Either way, problem is effectively solved.

A mediocre player stat wise, is still a mediocre player whether he is cheating or not.