Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

• "DraX" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 15th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 9:07pm

In depth tutorial for: Charts, Plots, recoil and spread mechanism...etc

1: Chart tutorial
2: Plot tutorial
3.1: Recoil explanation
3.2: Spread explanation

1.1 - Weapon charts: LINK

1.2 - Weapon name and picture:
Simple and straight, the actual weapons name and a side picture of it.

1.3 - Rounds per minute:
The theoretical* amount of bullets the weapon capable to fire in a minute.
*In most cases limited by the magazine capacity

1.4 - Bullet velocity:
The actual speed of the bullets.
note: Battlefield physics are implying velocity loss, range only limited by max range (1.5).

1.5 - Maximum distance:
The maximum distance you can shoot, after that barrier the bullet simply disappears.
note: Except sniper rifles, all bullets can fly 1.5 seconds, so the distance is calculated by 1.5sec * bullet velocity.

1.6 - Suppression/bullet:
The percentage amount of suppression that one single bullet makes.

1.7 - Damage graph:
A graphical representation of the bullets damage over range. The vertical axis is the damage in points, while the horizontal axis is distance in meter.
The numbers on the lines are the breaking points. On the sample image, the damage is flat at the maximum 25 until 8 meters, then a linear dropping off until 50 meters where it reach its minimum value 18.4. Over 50 meters, the damage is flat minimum (18.4) until the maximum distance (975m).

1.8 - Reload times:
In battlefield 3, there are two different reload times existing for every weapon except the belt fed LMGs and the cylinder pistols. (M240B, M249, M60, PKP, .44 Magnum, MP412)
Top value: Reload time if you contain at least one bullet in the chamber.
Middle value: Reload time if you shot all of the bullets.
Bottom value: Reload threshold, which means if you started the reloading sequence, you are unable to change weapons until the threshold time ended.
note: The different reload times come from the pulling mechanism. If you still contain a bullet in the chamber and the bolt is pulled up, the soldier only have to change the magazine. If you shot all the bullets, the soldier has to pull the bolt at the end of the reload.

1.9 - Ammunition/magazine:
The maximum amount of bullets you can contain. On most weapons it is the one magazine + one additional bullet in the chamber.

1.10 - Ammunition type:
The type of ammunition the weapon is using.

1.11 - Recoil values:
Recoil mechanism is explained in 3.1

The chart contains the recoil data in this form:

1.12 - Spread values:
Spread mechanist is explained in 3.2

The chart contains the spread data in this form:

1.13 - Attachment multipliers:
If you select an attachment in the "Select attachment:" tab, you can check what kind of multiplier it gives for the weapon.
RecoilUp: Vertical recoil
RecoilHorz: Horizontal (side) recoil
ADS spread: Aim Down Sight spread
HIP spread: Hipfire spread
Spread inc: Spread increase
Spread dec: Spread decrease
note: These are all multipliers, and if you selected one attachment, the system automatically calculates the results. (So you see the multiplied data in the chart).

1.14 - Comparison:
If you click this button, you'll be redirected to the weapon comparison page, and the "Select Weapon 1" will be the one you've clicked on.
AN94 is crap indeed, i just accidentally killed 34919 people with it!
-
5th AN94 user on PC @ 2012 Jun 10th

This post has been edited 8 times, last edit by "Blue Panda" (Jan 1st 2013, 3:29am)

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 9:08pm

2.1 - Basic plots:
PLots are graphical representation of a weapons firing characteristics (spray). These characteristics are defined by the weapons recoil, spread and rate of fire.
These basic plots are very usable for comparing weapons, because of that you can find them at the bottom of the weapon comparison page.

Understanding the plost are easy, basicly the program simulates a given number of 5 round bursts (2000 in this case) shot into the same spot, without correcting any recoil (not moving the mouse).
For better visibility it colors the different bullets of the burst. The first is green, and it fades into red witch is the 5th.
In the end, you'll get a spray pattern where you can see the approximate landing of the bullets. The more dense areas are the most important, but you can see the worst case scenarios, when the bullets are landed very far. (That is the time when every random value got the worst case).

2.2 - Advanced plots:
Advanced plots are mostly made by forum users with the program Plotic
Most of the time they are specific, bigger, contain more data and more detailed. Plot making tutorial at 4.1.

2.2.1 - Name, stance, attachment:
You can type any text here, but if used correctly it helps to identify the plot.

2.2.2 - Attachment adjustments:
The adjustments added in the program, mostly used for reproducing attachment multipliers.
Recoil V: Vertical recoil
Recoil H: Horizontal (side) recoil
Spread min: Minimum spread
Spread inc: Spread increase/shot
note: AK74M actually has +7% vertical recoil from HBAR, not +10% as on the picture.

2.2.3 - First shot recoil bar:
A graphical representation of the actual first shot recoil.

2.2.4 - Vertical recoil bar:
A graphical representation of the vertical (up) recoil.
The brighter part of the bar is the default value, while the darker one is the one affected by the Attachment adjustments (2.2.2).

2.2.5 - Horizontal recoil bar: left/right:
A graphical representation of the left/right horizontal recoil.
note: If foregrip would be used, there would be a shorter darker bar which would show the decreased side recoil value.

2.2.6 - Spread increse/shot bar:
A graphical representation of the spread increase amount.

2.2.7 - Minimum spread bar:
A graphical representation of the minimum spread.

2.2.8 - Hit rates:
It shows the calculated chances of hitting the shown target.
note: Sadly body and headshot are not marked separately.
-

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "DraX" (Jun 18th 2012, 7:09pm)

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 9:08pm

In battlefield 3 a weapons firing characteristics are defined by values. You can find these values at the weapon charts, and a tutorial for them at 1.1.

3.1 - Recoil:
There are 5 values witch defines the weapons recoil:

Vertical recoil defines how much the barrel moves up after every single shot. The value is in degrees, and this is a fixed value (except FSR).

The two horizontal recoil is a bit different, since these are the limits of a random value. In this case it is between -0.1 and +0.3. These values are degrees too.

The first shot multiplier is very important for the weapons actual character (even thou mostly over-viewed). Basicly it means the first shot has higher (or less - AS VAL) recoil, which is calculated by First shot recoil * Vertical recoil. (2.5 * 0.25 = 0.625 in this example)

Recoil decrease means how much recoil is decreased per seconds, but it is only apparent when you are not firing. So this value determines how fast the barrel will go back to the initial position after shooting.
note: The stated recoil decrease mechanism could be not completely right. The actual mechanism is under investigation.

The example weapon (m16a3) with just recoil would shoot in this pattern:

3.2 - Spread:
Spread like recoil is defining the weapons spray pattern and accuracy, but this is not as visible as recoil ingame. But on the plots with a lot of brusts simulated, it has a very defined looks.
In short, it means how inaccurate the weapon is. The amount of spread is defined by 2 important, and one side value.

The first and most important is the minimum spread. Basicly all white numbers are minimum spread for the same weapon, but in different states.

The Aim Down Sight column means when you are using a scope or iron sight.

The Hipfire column is when you are NOT using scope or iron sight.

Stationary and moving is obvious.
note: Actually you cant really reach the shown moving spread! Link to the topic

The 3 numbers in every rectangle is the stance:
Top: Standing
Middle: Crouching
Bottom: Prone

These are the Minimum spread values, witch is a bit confusing because Minimum is actually the starting spread.
It defines the size of a circle around the aimed target (where the barrel is pointing). The bullet will be in a random place in that circle.

The other important value is the Spread increase. It is very simple, it defines how much that circle is bigger in every shot.
The left plot is a simple plot with 5 round burst simulated 2000 times. While the right is an extreme 20000 one, where you can clearly see the banding at the edge of the circles.

The third value (Spread decrease/second) is not connected as close to the accuracy of the weapon as the other too, but still very important.
It defines how fast you can reach the minimum spread after shooting/moving/jumping...etc.
-

This post has been edited 6 times, last edit by "DraX" (Jun 18th 2012, 7:12pm)

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 9:09pm

4. occupied for updating
-

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 17th 2012, 9:10pm

5. occupied for updating

Since my english is not native, I gladly take any grammar corrections.
Also if you have any note, or see a mistake, please correct me.
-

Date of registration
: Apr 27th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, May 18th 2012, 7:26pm

Says Supperssion in your initial post at the start instead of Suppression at 1.6. Small mistake, but as you said you'd take corrections
Symthic?

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, May 18th 2012, 8:23pm

Says Supperssion in your initial post at the start instead of Suppression at 1.6. Small mistake, but as you said you'd take corrections

Thanks mate, corrected.

note: Also, I'll write a plotic tutorial tomorrow, if anyone have a suggestion about what else i should make, please share it!
-

Date of registration
: May 2nd 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 8:08am

On "Minimum actually the starting spread." should be "Minimum is actually the starting spread." That part is located right above the Spread charts/topic where you go into talking about Spread. Just a small grammatical change :) Good job!

^ My [Gun Lover's] Sig (Type It In): 945k+ Hits! // Still Fixing KDR... // Current KDR Avg: 2.5~3.0
EDM Music Producer, Process @ Signing With Utra Records, Hit Me Up If You Want To Collab!
YT Channel (Under Construction, Add Me!)

:|
360 Leaderboards:
- Noob @ AN-94 // My Best: 1036 RPM
- 1%-4% Multiple Categories
- Defibrillator Kills: 1

Xbox: FEEDxMExMOAR
PC: Soon.

<('-'<) ^('-')^ (>'-')>

DraX

Data Analyzer

(275)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 11:52am

On "Minimum actually the starting spread." should be "Minimum is actually the starting spread." That part is located right above the Spread charts/topic where you go into talking about Spread. Just a small grammatical change :) Good job!

Thanks, corrected.
Any idea what kind of update would be fine here? I thought about plotic, but since very few people are using it, I doubt it would be really useful.
-

Dice

50 Shades of Dice

(751)

Date of registration
: Dec 12th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 10:44am

A thing of beauty this thread.