Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "3VerstsNorth" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, August 11th 2013, 10:37am

Gameplay for feedback

Hi all. Inspired by Mickey's & Lucid's very useful gameplay threads, I'm posting here a vid too. I have now clocked ~200 hours with BF3 (my first PC FPS) and feel like slowly grasping the basics, what next? Since probably essentially every Symthician is a better player than I am, any feedback, comments, criticism, etc. is more than welcome.

As a disclaimer...My accuracy could be better here - this is one of the games where I'm testing the 3.4x scope instead of holo.

Re accuracy, I decreased my sensitivity from 4 to 14 cm/360 deg some time ago, and very recently to 22 cm/360 deg, which has helped me a lot. @5000 kills, my accuracy with AN was 17%, now @8000 it is 19.36%, which gives an accuracy of 23.3% for the last 3000 kills.
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten
"Many bullets help." WoopsyYaya
"most rhetorically legitimate ad hominem 2015" ToTheSun!

bboypaktailo

Ruining people's shows since 2014

(424)

Date of registration
: Dec 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, August 11th 2013, 11:38am

I like your target acquisition

I'm only proud of my BF3 stats. I've barely played BF4.
I am a proud member of the Church of The One True Tohsaka. Our one and only Goddess!

Spoiler Spoiler

Starting the usual old members style of putting random quotes in signatures
You go up to a girl and say you're part of the most elite Battlefield 3 forum.
instasex.

This is Symthic: Game Science not Symthic : I felt it in my balls.

How to fix hitreg:
1. Go to server browser
2. Join 3rd world country server with 40000000 ping
3. Enjoy

Spoiler Spoiler

And.... I banged the fucking computer box yet again last night.... She had moved it a bit, but not to a better spot <.<

WAT. YOU BANGED IT?

All those open ports where just too much temptation for him...

Now this section is woowee special. This, is when DaRubester is drunk.
I think I should sacrifice part of my sigs just for when Rube is drunk.

DOOOIT MANG. ILL REP U NBRO

Currently playing: Dota 2, CS:GO
Playing on PS2 Emulator: Suikoden series

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, August 11th 2013, 11:57am

The sensitivity is something that's very personal, just play around with it until you find the best balance. If you're mouse has DPI on the fly, I'd try a few different ones mid game and see how it affects you. Start with big differences high and low, and work your way in to find the best balance for you.

As far as the gameplay goes, the major thing I noticed is you looking at a downward angle the whole time. It's not good for you to be naturally aiming at people's feet. Keep your head up, and your crosshairs at least chest level unless you have to look down. This will help you get a firm understanding of where center is, which will make you a faster and more effective shooter since when you ADS you will already be on the target.
As is, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage since your reaction to a threat requires more effort. If I'm running around aiming straight, and you are aiming down, when I see you all I have to do is hit my ADS key and pull the trigger and in no time at all you'll be dead. You will have to ADS, adjust your aim, and then fire. More likely than not, you'll lose the gunfight.

Imagine what it would be like in real life holding the rifle up and walking around with it looking for a target. If you keep the rifle pointed straight and pick your head up off the stock and look over the sights, if a target pops out all you have to do is look at it, drop your head down onto the stock, look through the sights, and shoot. If you relax and let the rifle hang down, now you have to pick the rifle up, point it at the target, look down the sights, then shoot. Your character in BF3 holds his rifle up and ready to fire at a threat, don't let him be lazy and slouch...

Primarily, aiming on target is done before you even look through your scope. The sights are for fine adjustments, the core of hitting the target is done from the hip. And this all comes from knowing your center.
Tell me this, when you are running around do your eyes look over your crosshairs? They should be looking through your crosshairs. Focus your attention to the center of the screen.
Now I'm not saying don't glance around the screen as otherwise you might overlook enemies, but when focused on a direction you should always be looking through the crosshairs.
Move where you are looking by moving the mouse, don't try to move the mouse to where you are looking...

It seems like your aim is on, but it takes you a second to find it and hold on target since you're always a little off in the beginning. You play well but you could be more effective with better mouse placement.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Aug 11th 2013, 12:18pm)

Maveco

You can't stop the Smooze!

(610)

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2013

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Sunday, August 11th 2013, 12:21pm

I like your movements, keeping some basic tactics and thinking of were to move in the map and why is one thing that will give lots of killing opportunities while reducing deaths... just didn't approve the 3.4x choice for this map and mode

ps.: Primary loadout at 14:05 approved :c)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, August 11th 2013, 11:41pm

@bboypaktailo

Thanks!

@Maveco

Thanks to you too! The L96 kill was actually my 4th ...really... the fourth bolt action kill ever. Go figure. :D

The 3.4x was left attached after a long-range shoot-out. I have ~21000 kills with RDS and Holo, almost entirely with Holo, and now max 500 kills with the 3.4x. I used to hate magnifying scopes with passion.

BUT, all my favorite guns (AN, AS-VAL, SCAR-H) are capable of long-range engagements. IF there would be no penalty for using 3.4x instead of Holo in short/medium engagements, wouldn't it make sense to use it always? I don't know, this really is a question. Already at medium ranges, headglitchers are easier to hit with 3.4x and at long ranges, it definitely gives an edge. So, I'll practice a bit with 3.4x in short-range maps to see how the IF condition pans out. Like Watcher-45 also pointed out, aiming at hip and then "quickscoping" would be very efficient if I was better at it.

@Watcher-45

Low sensitivity is definitely my thing already because of easier recoil management.

Downward hip angle may definitely be my flaw - very good observation. Re "Tell me this, when you are running around do your eyes look over your crosshairs? ": hmm, probably so, I'll go now play a few games to become conscious about it. edit...Re-looking at the video, I see myself often needing to make a small upward movement when ADS'ing, which shows that you are correct here.

Quoted

Primarily, aiming on target is done before you even look through your scope. The sights are for fine adjustments, the core of hitting the target is done from the hip. And this all comes from knowing your center.
Tell me this, when you are running around do your eyes look over your crosshairs? They should be looking through your crosshairs. Focus your attention to the center of the screen.
Now I'm not saying don't glance around the screen as otherwise you might overlook enemies, but when focused on a direction you should always be looking through the crosshairs.
Move where you are looking by moving the mouse, don't try to move the mouse to where you are looking...

This is pretty fundamental. I'm often looking first, moving then, rather than looking through moving. From the neurophysiological point of view, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the input!
"Less is more? How can that be? How could less be more, that's impossible. More is more." Yngwie Malmsten

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "3VerstsNorth" (Aug 11th 2013, 11:52pm)

yugas42

(1,359)

Date of registration
: Sep 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Monday, August 12th 2013, 12:00am

It's a map specific complaint, but my one tip to you is don't worry about the crane snipers as much as you do, almost every time you spawned under the crane you went and looked for them, it got you killed once. Most of the time they won't hit you, bad players use bad tactics, and even if they do hit you once, they probably won't hit you again before you can get into cover. Crane snipers are annoying, but they're not a priority target, they do next to nothing for the team.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Monday, August 12th 2013, 12:43am

Downward hip angle may definitely be my flaw - very good observation. Re-looking at the video, I see myself often needing to make a small upward movement when ADS'ing, which shows that you are correct here.

This was never really a problem for me as I got started playing Counter-Strike. No ADS in that game, it's all crosshair. Doing well in that game meant having a good understanding of where the crosshair was at all times, which translates to knowing where center-screen is. In a game like Battlefield where the crosshair is very dynamic (opens larger and closes smaller to show weapon accuracy or inaccuracy), being able to judge where center is can be more difficult. Also in a game like Battlefield where the great majority of combat is spent ADS, it doesn't lend itself as a necessity to learn this either. It is an important skill, though.

My suggestion is to play a game where there is no ADS like Counter-Strike, or if you'd rather stick to Battlefield put a laser on your favorite carbine, run around a close-quarters map (Noshar works, but try to stick to the crates), and do not ADS at all and just hip-fire it.
You'll learn to lead with your crosshairs, which will make you more combat effective in general, and will help your ADS speed and accuracy.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, August 12th 2013, 1:56am

@Watcher-45

Working on it :).

@yugas42

Yep, agree. Just couldn't resist a free kill :rolleyes: .

Date of registration
: Apr 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Thursday, August 15th 2013, 1:18am

1) Your minimap is shit. It mostly shows revive icons.
2) AMMO and FRAG are useless specializations in TDM. So is EXPL. If you run out of ammo: a) find support kit and drop yourself some ammo or b) suicide because it doesn't give the enemy team a score.
3) Holo has enough magnification for at least 150 meters. PK-A can be quite limiting.
4) Using the open containers for cover against high ground is bad, because you will expose your legs and body before you can see the enemy.
5) When you get revived with a bad kit, just suicide.
6) Fuck knife, defib is superior.
[Aristocrat's Shoes]
TLDR -
Teamwork is where players function by themselves, but their effectiveness is multiplied when they work together. Not a checklist of "did we bring a healer so we can start playing?"

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, August 15th 2013, 10:10am

@Rezal

Thanks for your comments!

1. True.
2. This is a good point. What would you suggest? COVR or FLAK?
3. I agree. With AS-VAL and SCAR-H I already reverted back to Holo. With AN, I still guesstimate to get more long-range headshot kills with PK-A than with Holo but maybe at the cost of dying more because of over-extending the hipfire range.
4. Good point, hadn't thought of that.
5. Lol, yes, hadn't thought of that either.
6. This video grossly exaggerates even my knifing frequency (3.33%) that for 22k kills is 0.495%. As an Indian in a previous life, my name was he who goes not for lolkills