Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "socalfusions" started this thread

Date of registration
: Feb 7th 2015

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Friday, November 13th 2015, 7:38am

Jets - The most imbalanced thing about BF3

I've been playing quite a bit of BF3 lately, mostly because it's the only FPS I still remotely enjoy and am able to get my chopper fix for but every time I attempt to fly in one I inevitably come to the conclusion that jets are inherently imbalanced. They simply have the fewest counters of any role in the game which are: 1. Other jets 2. Attack helicopters 3. Mobile AA. The thing is a skilled jet pilot can overcome any of these for the most part.

Really only an equally skilled jet pilot is going to give another a run for their money and even then you have to factor in teammates actively assisting those jet pilots. I've seen jets circle each other endlessly until a teammate intervened in some way which in a pub is all by chance. A good attack chopper crew, and I mean really good, has a decent chance against a jet, in a straight on dog fight the attack chopper has more firepower and the advantage of the TV missle for range though due to it being bugged has whiffed on direct hits multiple times.

Almost every good jet pilot makes an effort to gain altitude and dive you from above which creates a lot of trouble since the chopper has to gain altitude in order to nose up and face the diving jet, obviously a attack helicopter climbs a lot slower so you have to plan ahead to do this. Using heat seekers against a jet is almost mind-boggingly broken, I can't count how many times I've baited a jets flares by firing one heat seeker then waiting for them to leave the flare range and firing my second seeker only to have it not connect, even worse is when they simply out run the heat seeker due to you not turning quickly enough to re lock them. Most games I have to fights jets the entire game without being able to go for ground targets due to having to stay at high altitudes to stand a chance. There are simply too many variables that work against attack choppers which give jets huge advantages. A side note I'd like to add is the ramming of a jet into a attack chopper, this is a major issue since jets are so much faster that it can become near impossible to avoid one intent on ramming you, a simple fix for this would be to punish the jet and leave the chopper unscathed, no chopper should have to pay for a jets failure for right of way in this sort of game.

Mobile AA's are one of the most effective counters to jets but again come at a large disadvantage versus skilled jet pilots where they snipe you from huge distances with their rockets. Even with zoom optics on the mobile AA you are unlikely to kill them while you, being much more cumbersome, are very likely to take significant damage and are forced to repair which results in constant fly by's leading to eventual death. I've often resorted to residing within a building and taking pot shots at jets, often only able to score kills when they make a mistake and over commit on a ground target.

I feel that the developers saw this and is possibly a reason why the jets in BF4 are much less powerful though the scout choppers are a bit over the top with a dedicated repair crew. Even still the scout choppers have no where near the mobility or firepower of the jets in BF3 and that's pretty considerable. So are the jets in BF3 way too powerful?

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Friday, November 13th 2015, 11:19am

Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 12:08am

Are you referencing this image because the game is too old? If so, while true, it still has a decent sized player base, bigger than Battlefield Hardline hilariously which is one of the newest BF games.

TheMightyVoice

The Pantless Messiah Returns

(1,830)

Date of registration
: May 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 3:51am

Are you referencing this image because the game is too old? If so, while true, it still has a decent sized player base, bigger than Battlefield Hardline hilariously which is one of the newest BF games.
Moreso the content. Given that BF3 hasn't been patched or anything rebalanced in ages... Yeah. This is an incredibly outdated topic.
Eat your heart out, Badger.

Spoiler Spoiler

<elementofprgress> yummm baby jesus
<elementofprgress> but i'd prefer jesus with ketchup

<cloon> women are allowed to play hockey?
<daddygreeenjeans> body checks are a fundamental part of women's suffrage

<Riesig> "... I'M GAY..."

steamboat28: the doctors at the ER found my nipples, too!
steamboat28: it just..y'know...took them a razor and two orderlies.

<Legion> And damn, now I really want some [redacted] penetrator measurements

<Rezal> peipin, why did you tell them you brought your phone?
<Pepin_the_Short> Because there’s like a one in five chance of getting searched on the way out
<Pepin_the_Short> And trying to sneak the fucker out is way worse than letting them look at Cloon’s dick pics.

17:52:08 <Rezal> Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on conditions of use with GEMA.
17:52:15 <ToTheSun> lolgema
17:52:15 <TheMightyVoice> lolgema

<Legion> But I literally am Hitler right now
Somehow my bullets are magnetically attracted to popular Youtubers, but theirs rarely seem to hit me.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 8:33pm

Moreso the content. Given that BF3 hasn't been patched or anything rebalanced in ages... Yeah. This is an incredibly outdated topic.
That's understandable, so given the imbalances and rampant cheaters is it safe to say the game will continue to exist in this form until it dies?

I'm not even surprised to see cheaters anymore and seriously doubt that the report feature has any effect at all. Sometimes they stay throughout the match blatantly aim botting everyone from across the map and anything short of a active admin kicking them is going to do nothing. I probably put more time into this game than I should considering it's non patching nature as you said.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,335)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 10:05pm

@TheMightyVoice
You could have at least mentioned why you think this would be an outdated topic. That post is against the "post if you have something worthwhile to say" rule.

Yeah the problem with BF3 isn't it being "dead", it's more the fact nobody is updating it anymore and it has almost reached the end of it's software lifespan.

Aaand yeah, BF3 only uses PB as an official anti-cheat measure which is somewhat easily bypassed, so no wonder hackers are common. Also reports alone probably don't do much unless they get solid evidence on hacking, even then I don't know if they even have somebody reading those reports.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, November 14th 2015, 11:44pm

@TheMightyVoice
You could have at least mentioned why you think this would be an outdated topic. That post is against the "post if you have something worthwhile to say" rule.

Yeah the problem with BF3 isn't it being "dead", it's more the fact nobody is updating it anymore and it has almost reached the end of it's software lifespan.

Aaand yeah, BF3 only uses PB as an official anti-cheat measure which is somewhat easily bypassed, so no wonder hackers are common. Also reports alone probably don't do much unless they get solid evidence on hacking, even then I don't know if they even have somebody reading those reports.
Haha gotta love those posts right? Will BF3's servers eventually go down just like BF2's did?

PB seems to be pretty ineffective in not only this game but others at actually preventing cheaters from coming back. You're probably correct that they don't have anyone in charge of dealing with cheaters given that they aren't ever updating the game anymore.

I guess I'm just frustrated that they never made a good effort to balance the game before they abandoned it, things like ECM bugging out and all these bugs are just ridiculous.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "socalfusions" (Nov 15th 2015, 12:34am)