Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Trochs" started this thread

Date of registration
: Sep 9th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, January 24th 2014, 9:51pm

A simple tip for improving your accuracy stat (for AR's, carbines, LMG's)

Hey all - longtime reader first time poster. I posted this on the BF3 subreddit but thought maybe it'd be of interest here. Hopefully there's still a lot of you playing BF3. While this may not be news to everyone, I think it gets at something a lot of players don't think about.

Disclaimer: What this tip does is not affect your actual ability to stay on target - there's no real trick to that - but rather it's a way to better 'sync' the rate at which you hit your target with your actual accuracy statistic. Also, while it's simple, it requires practice to become second nature.

Once I became pretty good at aiming, staying on target, handling recoil nearly perfectly, etc., I still found that while my ability to drop opponents was getting better, my actual accuracy stat at the end of any round wasn't really improving. If my aim was better, why wasn't this indicated in my accuracy? The problem was that I tended to 'over-fire' my weapon - that is, I tended to keep shooting past the point where my opponent had 'officially' died. Those bullets are going 'through' the now dead opponent, and so are 'inaccurate' bullets, as they are hitting nothing.

The trick, then, is to get a good feel for how the hitmarker rate relates to your opponent's health. Start to pay close attention to the amount of hitmarkers that appear as you hit your enemy, and you begin to gain a sense for when your opponent must be 'dead' even before the gamesays they are dead. When you can tell that the hitmarker has 'flashed' 4-5 times, you know you can stop firing. Like I said, it's a simple tip but it requires practice (and perhaps better to stick with same gun for a while for the sake of consistency). But I've now gotten to the point where I can shoot then stop firing before the game indicates that my opponent is dead (because I've seen that I'm getting a bunch of hitmarkers, and I know I've shot by now, say 9 bullets), and directly move on to another target, knowing sure enough that the kill indicator for the first opponent will show up a split second later.

Here's a great example of what it looks like at medium range. Note I stop firing immediately after seeing ~5 hitmarkers:

*link removed by moderator*

Yes, every once in a while I'll pull off a target and leave them with 5% health or something, but that gets increasingly rare the more accustomed I've become to shooting this way.

Hope it helps. FWIW this has directly improved my accuracy with assault rifles from ~19% to a consistent 24-25% now.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blue Panda" (Jan 27th 2014, 5:26pm)

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, January 24th 2014, 11:39pm

To be honest, a more effective way to approach this is with reaction time in relation to the "kill feed".

Counting hit markers is an interesting way to do it, but is extremely subject to error. Especially since weapons behave very differently with damage specs, multipliers, and ROF, as well as a target having less health. If you get 2 hits in very rapid succession you might only see one hit marker, one weapon might need 6 hits instead of 5, what if you are getting leg shots and doing less damage and thus require extra shots, and an injured target may need only 2-3 hit markers.
I also think that counting hit markers on the whole is too much thought process required.

Transferring over to BF4, the Hardcore mode doesn't give you any hit-markers so that would make this practice useless, and the Defensive armor perk would add a multiplier to chest damage making many guns require an extra shot.

But the kill-feed always pops up when you kill someone, and it shows up immediately. Training yourself to react to text appearing at the bottom of your screen would achieve the same end, though much more reliably.

Personally, in an effort to avoid "overshooting" I did try a few methods. The character animations can easily be mistaken for death and have you stop firing on a live target so that is no good, the hit markers have too many variables so I don't like that either. Watching for the kill-feed is the best way to do it, but occasionally something like capping a flag or getting resupply points will inadvertently get a reaction from you, and you'll stop firing on the target despite not killing him.

So in the end, I don't care about stats at all. I'm 13% accurate with my weapon of choice? Well, I over-shoot a lot, take pot-shots, dump mags into the sky when I spawn too far away with only seconds left, shoot explosive barrels, "lane" hallways, draw smiley faces on the wall in bullet-holes, and more which admittedly only make my accuracy stat go into the dumps. My accuracy vs live targets is much better than the stats would show. What is it exactly? Noone knows, and it's impossible to calculate.

Now in matches I am a whole different player. Of all the stats I have, you can probably just double them and get my stats as a skrim player.
The last match I played (friendly match between my clan and a clan that came into our servers. IIRC they were low level competing, some of their members knew some of our members, and we were just in the mood for a 10v10), I ended up on the top of the boards with an easy 3/1 KDR and a high SPM to go with it. Don't know what my accuracy was, there was no way to tell, but I can say with confidence that it was at least 25% with automatics.
I really wish Battlelog would have a stats page just for match data. I think for many players the numbers between matchs and pubs would look completely different.

Welcome to Symthic, btw 8)
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Jan 24th 2014, 11:49pm)

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 12:16am

Personally I'd rather overkill and focus on situational awareness than trying to be conservative on ammo consumption.

I'm pretty sure there is lag in the kill feed. There is certainly a ton of lag in the kill feed when killing people in vehicles. When I land a direct shell hit on an infantry, there is palpable delay between the on screen hit reg and the kill scrolling up from the bottom.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 12:19am

@Watcher-45

Of course I'm not arguing that you SHOULD care about accuracy stats. But if you're working on improving, it's nice to see actual statistical evidence for improvement.

I think you misinterpreted what I was really saying. It's not exactly about "counting" hitmarkers (although I suppose early on I was halfway counting), but rather getting a feel for what is SUFFICIENT in terms of # of hitmarkers for an obvious death. This, of course, is subjective, and thus prone to error, but it simply works once you get the hang of it. I literally know what 4-5 hitmarkers LOOKS like - I'm not counting, but I can tell that the hitmarker indicator has flashed sufficiently. Does that make sense?

I also have no intention of playing BF4. But the fact that tricks or styles of play for one game don't transfer over to new games is not a reason not to learn them. Why learn to get good at any game if you're going to play a different one with different mechanics down the road?

@Tankmayvin

Absolutely, I tend to have a ping of roughly 23 on my main servers, but sometimes I play servers overseas where it's closer to 100. I can tell you that the kill feed confirmation is often - and I really stress often - very delayed.

I don't think there is any trade-off between my method of shooting and situational awareness. If anything, as I've stated it allows me to switch from target to target much more efficiently, as I can be sure I've killed the first guy the instant I move to the next, making multi-kills that much quicker. If I wait for the kill feed in a more sluggish server situation (even if it's just a split second), I've lost that much more time to go onto the next guy.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Trochs" (Jan 25th 2014, 12:47am)

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 12:27am

Of course I'm not arguing that you SHOULD care about accuracy stats. But if you're working on improving, it's nice to see actual statistical evidence for improvement.

I think you misinterpreted what I was really saying. It's not exactly about "counting" hitmarkers (although I suppose early on I was halfway counting), but rather getting a feel for what is SUFFICIENT in terms of # of hitmarkers for an obvious death. This, of course, is subjective, and thus prone to error, but it simply works once you get the hang of it. I literally know what 4-5 hitmarkers LOOKS like - I'm not counting, but I can tell that the hitmarker indicator has flashed sufficiently. Does that make sense?

Also, I tend to have a ping of roughly 23 on my main servers, but sometimes I play servers overseas where it's closer to 100. I can tell you that the kill feed confirmation is often - and I really stress often - very delayed.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad idea whatsoever. My observation is that I'm generally too overloaded in multitasking to come anywhere close to being able to count those hitmarkers.

I shot em until the bodies drop ;)

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 1:19am

Accuracy increase should be palpable in personal TTK (time-to-kill), even if it fails to show up in stats. If targets feel like they are dropping quicker and easier for you, it's usually due to an accuracy increase.
Also keep in mind that after thousands of rounds fired even if you land an extra 4-5 per magazine it will take a LOT of time to catch up in any kind of meaningful way in the accuracy stat.

Example, make a fresh profile with no stats at all (everything 0), join a server, go to the nearest wall, and fire 1000 shots into the wall.

Your accuracy is 0%, 0/1000 shots hit.

Now imagine what you have to do to reach 50% accuracy. You have to fire and hit another 1000 shots at 100% accuracy. If you manage to be 100% accurate and hit 1000/1000 shots, you will now be 1000/2000 and only 50% accurate.

Lets be realistic and say at your best you are 20% accurate. 20% of 1000 shots is 200 shots. So now 200/2000 is only 10% total accuracy.

Accuracy stat goes to shit extremely quickly and recovers incredibly slowly, a 1% change for the better means you may very well have experienced a 5% accuracy increase but after thousands and thousands of rounds it's indistinguishable.

Getting a "feel" for what is sufficient for death is good, and counting hitmarkers is an interesting way to do it, but in no way is a reliable means of success in combat. I'd rather make sure an enemy is dead than try to preserve a statistic or conserve ammo, and aside from seeing a legit death animation or a heads-up in the kill feed there is no way to know for sure if a kill is achieved.
If I get in the habit of judging kills by "feel", I might see an increase in accuracy stat, I might save a magazine in the long run, but how many times will I die or teammates die because I stopped firing when the target wasn't dead?
I've experienced where I think an enemy is dead because I pumped X rounds into him, then turn to run and realize he isn't dead and instead I get killed. I've experienced an enemy diving to the ground where I think he fell dead only to have him light me up.
I've experienced the guy taking headshots and not being killed because of a healthbox nearby.

Perhaps when I said the more effective way to do this is to react to the kill feed wasn't intended to mean you'd shoot less bullets into the target, but that you'd reduce the amount of bullets wasted while maintaining combat effectiveness.
And that was the point I was trying to make.

You even said yourself that every so often you pull away from the target before they are dead, whereas I can't say for certain the last time that has happened to me as I continue to fire until I am sure the target is dead either by kill-feed or obvious animation.
Staying alive is more important to me that saving ammo OR increasing my accuracy stat.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Jan 25th 2014, 1:25am)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 2:26am

@Watcher-45

I did in fact start a new account very recently. You can see it below. 25% accuracy, 6+ kdr, 1400+ spm. I don't hang back. I'm very aggressive. A 6 kdr should indicate that I do not make that mistake of pulling off my target early very often.

I think it's important to note that you don't have to go full on with my method. Really, the post is more about the broader point of being more conscious of TTK given good accuracy, and the possibility that people are over-firing to a very high degree. You may be much better than you think accuracy-wise (but how would you know without verifying it with evidence?), but this is causing your accuracy to decrease. I see teammates all the time just holding the fire button WAY after the dude is dead. And they probably just don't know it. This is just something to think about.

Your statement, "Staying alive is more important to me that saving ammo OR increasing my accuracy stat", while having rhetorical flourish, isn't very convincing. I'd rather do all three. Some others might too, or at least think about ways of improving in all three areas.

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 7:24am

@Watcher-45

Really, the post is more about the broader point of being more conscious of TTK given good accuracy, and the possibility that people are over-firing to a very high degree. You may be much better than you think accuracy-wise (but how would you know without verifying it with evidence?), but this is causing your accuracy to decrease. I see teammates all the time just holding the fire button WAY after the dude is dead. And they probably just don't know it. This is just something to think about.

Agree completely, didn't mean to lead anyone otherwise, just to suggest an alternative method.

And I must point out that in my quoted statement, I said it is more important to me to stay alive than increase statistical performance.
It was meant to be a rhetorical flourish, and it is my opinion. If you feel otherwise that is your business, I just offer my view in a dissenting position, and it's not to say that I don't care about accuracy just that I don't care about the stat and it is important to understand that difference as well.

I think that having the stats available in such detail makes people stat crazy and they overthink and change their play strategy to fit their stats better rather than play the game better. In some ways they intersect and playing for stats can make you a better player, in your case it has made you more aware of the nuances of combat and therefor more effective, but knowing the difference is important in it's own sense.
Battle-reports give you an accuracy percentage and the weapon most used. Looking at battle-reports every so often will be a clearer indicator of increased accuracy on a whole rather than overall statistical accuracy because of how broken large scale stats are, which is what my "new player" example was trying to express.

Hell, I've had rounds where I get 6 KDR, ~25% accuracy, and 1000+ SPM as well. Do I do it all the time? No. Why? Because I just don't care enough to play seriously all the time nor do I have fun when I am in try-hard mode in pubs. I also screw around a lot.
The result? My profile gives me around a 1.5 KDR, about 800 SPM, and 13% total accuracy.

Am I a 1.5 KDR, 800 SPM, 13% accurate player? No. I know I am not, people in my clan know I'm not, people I've matched with/against know I'm not, and what random people think of me I could care less.

All I am trying to do is make you aware that your method has it's flaws (in fact every method does in the case of overshooting), that stats have flaws, and I am giving other readers more options and more points of view with which they can use to pick or discover their own methods.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration
: Nov 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 10:54am

Thanks for making me feel better about my battlelog stats Watcher. I care about my stats, but I will join the losing team if the game feels imbalanced, I'll use a gun that I like and not necessarily the best gun, and I'll stay in a game that i'm getting slaughtered in. The one stat that I feel measures how well I do is my accuracy stat. It is something that does not depend on how unfair the teams are, or if my gun is the best gun. I use the kill feed indicator to determine when I stop firing, or if I'm damn sure that last hit marker will finish them off, I'll stop firing before the kill feed pops. This method and also not firing at targets that are too far has increased my accuracy. I float around 18% accuracy with most guns, but lately I have been consistently over 20% accuracy, even approaching 25%. There is no reason I cannot hit 25% accuracy being mindful of these methods. Unfortunately raising this stat takes forever.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 25th 2014, 6:21pm

@Watcher-45

I think we're in agreement on a lot of things. I did say in one of my earlier comments that I was looking at my end of round accuracy stat from the battle report, not my overall accuracy (which of course is difficult to change round to round). If I usually end rounds with 19% accuracy, but then when shooting the way I do now I end rounds with 24-27% accuracy, I can know that I'm doing a better job in this regard despite no visible change to my 'general' accuracy score. Who cares if your main accuracy stat changes very slowly? Each battle report can tell you you're doing better (if that's your intention).

I guess my original post comes off as a bit stat-crazed. But again, I'm not saying you need to have better accuracy, or care about your stats, or care about what other people might think of your stats (I personally don't care about other people, though stats come in handy when dealing with hackusations). People already have options! I'm not suggesting that players completely change their play style! But if players end up over-firing by, say 3 bullets instead of the usual 6 by being more conscious of TTK given good aim/recoil control, they are better off for it.

@Copenhagen23

Sounds like you already unconsciously play in a way that I'm describing here. Way to go! Though personally I'd tap fire on targets at extreme ranges - that is another case altogether.