Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "m4sterP" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 15th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Monday, March 18th 2013, 8:00pm

I want to rent a Server and I need your help

Hello Symthic Community,
my clan and I want to rent a sever on the pc with 24 players for Rush and Capture the Flag (and maybe the one or other CQ-round). No one of us ever did this. Can you please recommend me a server-hoster? And maybe explain me how to install such things like a Voting-Map-System? Thank you!

Misnomer

Don't Prox Me Bro

(497)

Date of registration
: Sep 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, March 18th 2013, 9:10pm

Providers are based by region, there is a list compiled by EA/DICE here, though it is by no means exhaustive.

Rent a Battlefield 3 Server - Battlefield 3 (BF3)

After you have a server, the next most important thing is procon, an admin tool with plugins you can get here Procon Frostbite phogue.net

If you want to run plugins from that, it needs to be running all the time. While it is possible to do this on an admin's computer, it is far nicer to get another server to just host a procon layer. Here is a list of providers: [Myrcon] Authorized Procon Hosting Providers

If you can get your server and procon layer hosted by the same company, sometimes you can get a deal.

Once you have that, then plugin installing is a pretty straightforward deal using either the built in addon packages or ftp to upload custom packages to the layer. Of course if you have never done this before that sounds complex, but it mostly a matter of collecting things.

You will need the FTP address of your procon layer and once you connect to it you navigate to the plugins folder of the procon install and extract the pugin into that folder. This may require a FTP client, but it depends on your server provider. I use Filezilla for my FTP client, it is free FileZilla - The free FTP solution (If you are running procon on your own desktop for now you can just download the file below and put it in your plugins folder).

xVotemap v1.3.1 [BF3]

Once that is installed you restart the Procon Layer (done through the control panel website from your layer provider). Once restarted, connect again with procon and in the client click on the parent layer control tab for the desired server. Then you set the plugin to work as you wish and make sure the box is checked.

I tried to include as many steps as possible there without exactly the details you want. There will be more steps, like if you get a procon layer you need to set up user accounts, but that is a bit too detailed for me to do here quickly. Overall, you should know before getting into this that it is a time sink. You will be dedicating a large amount of time to getting the server set up if you have never ever done it before. Once you learn it, everything I wrote above takes about 30 minutes at most, before you learn it this all could be 8-10 hours depending how many times you make some little mistake and have to either restart or go through google. It is still far more accessible than even running plugins on say COD4, but there can be some headaches.

I would still recommend first looking for a server that is run by a clan playing exactly your idea. Join their forums and play on their server for a while. Who knows, you may end up running that clan's server someday like I did back 6 years ago when I first took that approach. If you simply want a server for the admin ability, you will find that there are thousands of such servers out there and without a good population and quality adminning, you'll be paying for an empty 24 slots for you and your friends to use once every couple weeks. That is quite a price to pay for the ability to kick people you don't like. Adminning is truly a thankless job most times as you get grief for kicking people that should be kicked and get grief for not kicking someone that isn't playing the way some loudmouth on the server wants them to play. You will spend time trying to figure out if someone is hacking rather than playing and enjoying the game.

BF3 on PC actually has too many servers ( at least 5612, which means if the average server size was 24 slots...it is likely closer to 32 or 48 because of the number of 64 person servers on pc...then there would be 134,688 slots available at any moment for PC players when the most players we hit concurrently is around 70,000). Most likely there are already 2 slots for every one player online at any moment BF3 PC, that may not sound like much, but it makes a world of difference in populating.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Misnomer" (Mar 18th 2013, 9:29pm)

• "m4sterP" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Saturday, March 23rd 2013, 1:11am

Which ProCon Plugins would you recommend me?