Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "SimAlex07" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 7th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 5:09pm

Stupid Question: SMAW/RPG vs. Reactive Armour

I searched, I couldn't find if anyone had discussed this before.

In Engineer equipped with SMAW/RPG vs. Tank/IFV/Destroyer/etc with Reactive Armour, if you aim above the Reactive Armour, e.g. at the turret or from above down onto the top of the vehicle and not at the front, back or sides, can you damage the vehicle more quickly (if you hit it)?

Does it avoid the Reactive Armour or does it behave like the Reactive armour took the hit? ?(

timminatorr

Dutch masterrace

(490)

Date of registration
: Mar 24th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 5:14pm

I believe that one reactive panel covers an entire side.

TheLB95

Railgun Engineer

(871)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 5:23pm

What Tim said. The panel covers the entire side including the turret. I also believe that if you shoot the thing in the back of the turret it counts as a rear shot even if the tank body is facing you. Someone's gonna have to verify that although I'm 90% sure.

PC master race!

CPU; Intel i7 2600K @4.3GHz
CPU Cooler; Corsair H60 cooler
Memory; 12GB 1866MHz Corsair RAM
GPU; ASUS GTX 670 (slightly OC'd)
Mobo; ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Storage; 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (7200RPM)
PSU; Cooler Master GX 650 Bronze

Date of registration
: Sep 22nd 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 6:20pm

What if you're on a rooftop right above the vehicle?

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 6:27pm

Yeah, i'm pretty sure you guys are wrong. In MBTs and IFvsm reactive armour covers the sides and the back. In MAA it covers all sides.

However, shooting from above (i'm pretty sure) bypasses the reactive. Plus, I think it gives you an additional top-attack multiplier in the same way that a guided javelin does.

Can anyone confirm this?

Serial Service Star Collector
Getting close to 62 mastered weapons.
Weapons with at least 1 SS: 74

Also play PC.

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 6:32pm

Yeah, i'm pretty sure you guys are wrong. In MBTs and IFvsm reactive armour covers the sides and the back. In MAA it covers all sides.

However, shooting from above (i'm pretty sure) bypasses the reactive. Plus, I think it gives you an additional top-attack multiplier in the same way that a guided javelin does.

Can anyone confirm this?
Unless the angles affect the damage in the same way, I'd say RPGs don't get a bonus for attacking from above. At least I've hit tanks with 4-5 times from above without disabling them.

Date of registration
: Sep 22nd 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 7:03pm

In MBTs and IFvsm reactive armour covers the sides and the back. In MAA it covers all sides.

All IFVs have front reactive armor as well. MBTs are the only vehicles where all sides are not covered (the front).

timminatorr

Dutch masterrace

(490)

Date of registration
: Mar 24th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 7:08pm

that wasnt his question.

Lennox 203

Slow Learner

(306)

Date of registration
: Dec 11th 2011

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Thursday, October 11th 2012, 7:23pm

I thought you just do full damage if you attack from above. No bonus, its like hitting the sides at a perpendicular angle with no reactive.

To expand on these questions: If you hit a side panel from a minimum angle, does the reactive pop-off? Or does it need to take 200dmg or something?
"Ain't nothin' soft or sweet, I lift you off your feet
When I cock back the heat, whole crews retreat"

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, October 12th 2012, 12:26pm

These are actually interesting questions.

What it boils down to is how is a hit calculated on a tank/IFV. I see this as 4 key points...

1. Do tanks have 4 or 5 hit facias? ie, is the top a separate hit location or does a hit to the top count as a hit to the closest side?
  2. If it counts as a hit to the closest side, is it thus calculated as a hit with a very low incident angle?
  3. Do the 4 sides of the turret (front, 2 sides and back) rotate with the turret? ie does a hit from behind the chassis of a tank, to a rearward facing turret (so front of turret) count as a front hit or a rear hit?
  4. When calculating a hit on reactive armour, is damage still modified by the angle of incidence, or does that only apply once reactive has been breached?

Some of this has been discussed in the past, but I think consolidating into a single summary of hits to tanks would be useful.

Point 3 is particularly relevant when considering 1 on 1 tank battles. If you position yourself side on (presenting reactive armour) but the turret is obviously facing toward your opponent, then if turret and chassis reactive are independant, then a hit to the side would be soaked up by reactive, but a hit to the turret would deal damage.

My suspicion is that a side reactive panel extends upwards onto the turret, irrespective of orientation of the turret, so a hit to the turret if the turret is facing sideways, still counts as a sideways hit. I suspect testing is in order to get to the bottom of this.

Thoughts?