Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Lazhward" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 7:58pm

No UI Gameplay

After watching some MissyChrissy videos, and now also some of Matimi0's, I got really inspired to play without UI. It's simple to turn of (using the UI.Drawenable 0 command) and it's so much fun! If you haven't tried playing without UI, try it now and thank me later ^^

There are several things making playing without UI worth while, in my opinion these are mainly:
  • BF3 looks great. I loved the graphics back when I first started playing the campaign, and being able to play BF3 on ultra was one of the reasons I bought a new PC. Though after I started playing the multiplayer I didn't really pay much attention to it anymore, I even found it somewhat disappointing since multiplayer is obviously less impressive than the campaign. Though turning off the UI leaves you nothing to look at other than the grapics, you don't get distracted and/or misled by focusing on the minimap, markers and/or doritos. It made me relive that 'OMG-this-looks-great!'-excitement I had when first playing the game.
  • You don't get distracted by the UI and don't spend most of the time looking at your map, markers and doritos. Already mentioned, but this is also a great advantage on its own. It is not a good thing to get too used to the UI, you should pay more attention to the battlefield itself.
    I noticed for example that I really had to pay attention to all the sounds and movements of my allies and enemies to predict where hostiles were and would be coming from. My aim would also be focused on the actual model of the enemies, instead of aiming slightly below the dorito as I would usually do. Of course, you also have to count your bullets, meaning you'll have to pay more attention to how long your bursts are and how much bullets you need for a target. Also simple stuff, such as knowing which team you're in, learning to distinguish US from RU soldiers and paying attention to which flag is up, whether it's going down and the 'radio messages' about flags getting capped and such make the game a lot more immersive and teaches you to really pay attention to what is going on around you.
  • It will improve your tactics. Since you really have to focus on your surroundings like mentioned above, you'll get a better understanding of the map and, most importantly, of the players around you. Getting to predict people is something which will give you a huge advantage in outmaneuvering/flanking your enemy, and it is still applicable when you turn your UI back on. This is a skill which may be hard to master but will really pay off in the end, and playing without UI is probably one of the better ways to train this while still keeping it fun. (I used to be really bad at this, but I already notice improvement whilst I've only been playing without UI for about a week).
  • You can't pay attention to your score, or the score of your team; you just have to play. This was one of the biggest changes for me since I'm the type of guy who presses TAB right after I die every single time, and I always try to get that MVP-ribbon no matter what. Now, you barely have an idea of whether you're doing ok or whether your team's winning, all you can do is try to play your best and help out as much as you can. It's such a liberating feeling somehow, and it really gives you the opportunity to focus on your own gameplay, instead of just your score.
  • It's challenging and real good fun! If you're getting tired of playing BF3 regularly, this is a great way to enjoy the game again with some refreshment and added difficulty. Since you're obviously in a disadvantage when not using the UI, try to see if you can keep up with all those noobs who still have their UI turned on. It might be frustrating at first, but the beauty is in its simplicity; all you can really do is play your best and have fun.

I hope I've been able to convince at least some of you guys to try it out, and if you do decide to try it out, you may join the NoUI club! 8D
Also, if you've actually tried it, here is the place to discuss your experience. What things did you like about it, and which things didn't you like? Will you be playing without UI all the time, or just when you feel like it (like me)?

GLHF

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Lazhward" (Oct 2nd 2012, 8:57pm)

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 9:28pm

Would be fun if everyone on a server played without UI :> No man down icons or anything.. you really have to pay attention to your surroundings :>

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, October 2nd 2012, 10:23pm

Well, it removes the minimap. The minimap is essential, IMO. I do agree that it looks fucking cool. Feels like we're watching a movie or something.

• "Lazhward" started this thread

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 1:14am

Well, it removes the minimap. The minimap is essential, IMO. I do agree that it looks fucking cool. Feels like we're watching a movie or something.

Hmm, there are definitely situations where the minimap would've prevented a death when playing without UI. But having to go without forces you to check all your flanks and every corner constantly, there's really no better practice than that ^^ If you constantly rely on your minimap, you're going to get shot repeatedly by any random guy who decides to equip a suppressor =P
And besides, I'm not saying you should turn off your UI when you're playing competitively or when you desperately want to win. It's just fun and great for practicing some skills you will overlook if you're getting too spoiled by the UI. And the 'cool-factor' is also a major part of the experience ;)

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 11:29pm

Interesting...I'd like to try it or something similar, but this would totally nullify all of the Recon toys aside of the spawn beacon...

UNLESS--What if the Recon was the only class with a minimap and a hud that JUST showed objectives?

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 11:41pm

Interesting...I'd like to try it or something similar, but this would totally nullify all of the Recon toys aside of the spawn beacon...

UNLESS--What if the Recon was the only class with a minimap and a hud that JUST showed objectives?

Actually, TUGS gives 2 kind of beep sounds. One is a periodic beep (2 second interval) for clear, and then it makes another kind of been when someone is moving on it's radious.

OT: I'd like to try ho UI gameplay, if I wasn't on console and on SQ.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

hunturk

Owner Of The World's Most Powerful Neck

(1,652)

Date of registration
: Aug 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 11:58pm

oscar there are servers which have no UI
Personally, i don't take a stance on whether or not there is a creating entity because i'm humble enough to realize, in my fucking insignificance, the concept escapes my comprehension with a lead of 9001 light years.
RIP SRAW

Wadayoutalkenabeet

Oscar and Moe <3

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 12:14am

oscar there are servers which have no UI

completely no UI and ranked?
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

hunturk

Owner Of The World's Most Powerful Neck

(1,652)

Date of registration
: Aug 4th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 12:18am

im noy sure about ranked...
Personally, i don't take a stance on whether or not there is a creating entity because i'm humble enough to realize, in my fucking insignificance, the concept escapes my comprehension with a lead of 9001 light years.
RIP SRAW

Wadayoutalkenabeet

Oscar and Moe <3

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,974)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 12:36am

For me, not using the UI only impacts how many bullets I send toward the enemy. Since I don't have instant kill notifications, I have to keep pulling the trigger until the body goes down. What's really challenging is playing with No HUD and no sound. Without a minimap and audio, you're forced to observe all of your surroundings.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.