Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "TdE_-ScHooLBoY-_" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 8th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 12:09pm

The reality of scope glint

Had the battlefield 3 developers visited this site(http://camouflage.com/sunguard.php), do you think that they would had still included scope glint?

"SunGuard®

The thin, lightweight SunGuard inserts fits inside your
existing scope cover to give the same sun protection as a much longer
and bulkier traditional tube hood. Developed to camouflage reflections
from rifle scopes and binoculars, SunGuard offers the sport shooter two
powerful benefits:

• SunGuard™ blocks sun glare from getting inside your scope!
  • SunGuard™ hides sun reflections that can spook trophy game!

On a 40mm scope, a SunGuard insert gives the same protection as a traditional tube shade over 7” long!
"
In my opinion, it's amazing that something so simple to eliminate as lens refections was included in this game with not so much as even an unlock to counteract it. Come on DICE. Trained snipers don't go into battle with scopes that will give their position away.

Edit: Sorry to confuse some of you as to what i meant by saying "reality." I am not making a realism argument, I'm simply implying the reality is that scope glint should have never been thought of as a way to balance the long range capabilities of snipers as it is not authentic nor needed to balance a weak recon class, and also if snipers were more powerful and scope glint was needed as a balancing agent, than the least that should be done is to include some sort of slot 2 or 3 attachment to counter its effects.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TdE_-ScHooLBoY-_" (Sep 3rd 2012, 12:01pm)

Date of registration
: May 9th 2012

Platform: 360

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 12:38pm

They did it out of "balance" due to the addition of prone, not realism. This has been mentioned a ton of times.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 12:47pm

They did it out of "balance" due to the addition of prone, not realism. This has been mentioned a ton of times.

Yeah it makes sense when you put it like that. Wookies were really obvious in previous Battlefield games because they were usually standing perfectly erect on a hill somewhere but with prone added its obviously gonna be a lot harder to spot them before they turn you into a Toot Sweet :D

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:13pm

Yeah it makes sense when you put it like that. Wookies were really obvious in previous Battlefield games because they were usually standing perfectly erect on a hill somewhere but with prone added its obviously gonna be a lot harder to spot them before they turn you into a Toot Sweet :D
And now when they can prone, DICE decided to add a huge "HEY I'M HERE, SHOOT ME" scope glint. They are even more obvious than before.

Dice

50 Shades of Dice

(751)

Date of registration
: Dec 12th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:20pm

The glint is stupid. I am all for balance but you do not even had to be aiming to glint and you need to turn almost 90 degrees away to stop the glint.

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:20pm

And still, how many "snipers" do you see that get consistent headshots?

I have few kills with Sniper Rifles myself but I try and get headshots so I don't give my position. More often than not everytime I see a sniper he just shoots without taking acount into headshots and will just keep firing until the massive suppression and high damage kill the guy with ease.

Most of us will have expereienced this, specially on console. Mr. Randombushwookie will just spaam all his ammo (and since they have so much ammo) until you die. Most of the times you'll get to cover and regen your HP, but if not it just takes 2 rounds to die.

So remove scope glint, decrease max ammo on rifles and increase muzzle velocity. Just my 2 cents.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:25pm

The glint is stupid. I am all for balance but you do not even had to be aiming to glint and you need to turn almost 90 degrees away to stop the glint.

this. at least make it appear only if you are ads,and at certain angles. i cant stop laughin when in a metro tunnel i see a fukin nova explosion in the dark and kill it whit a pistol...

>>>My MTAR-21 Review<<<
My BF3stats.com
My Battlelog Profile
-Guns with 1 SS=82 [all except Igla and Stinger].
-Guns with 5 SS=62 [need to complete pistols(except 93r) and launchers(except m320,already did it)].
-Attachments Unlocked= everything for every weapon.

>>>PRESS IN DICE SITUATIONS<<<

TruxCaper

Railgun Engineer

(264)

Date of registration
: Feb 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 1:39pm

this. at least make it appear only if you are ads,and at certain angles. i cant stop laughin when in a metro tunnel i see a fukin nova explosion in the dark and kill it whit a pistol...

I agree with you, it would be better if it only appeared while you're ADS, but it can't be removed entirely. Even in BF2142, where you could go prone just like you can in BF3, you could still spot snipers because there was no camo and the worse graphics made everyone stand out against the environment. Also, there was no headglitching, as far as I can remember. Now, a camouflaged sniper sitting 300 m away behind cover (or prone in the grass) would be totally invisible. Not fair at all. And anyone who needs anything above 4X to snipe on Metro is bringing it upon himself, really. :rolleyes:

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven from your flags, and read their lamentations in the chatbox. Lasagne are pretty awesome, too.

Words of Wisdom

Grand Bazaar [ASTHMA] TruxCaper

They added scope glint to remind snipers that they're enormous ass bandits every time someone beans them in the skull with a 320.

Most women in the army are built like tiger tanks
In that east German "Kiss me, or I crush you!" way

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 3:19pm

Out of the times I've been killed by a sniper I think 99% of those were headshots so I'd say a hell of a lot :P

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Battlelog:

Saturday, September 1st 2012, 6:22pm

As a sniper I can confidently say that sniper scope glint keeps things in balance.
At long range you can't even see the glint and at medium ranges it forces a sniper to choose positions where he's shooting out of tiny cracks or further back from a window which is less hollywood and more "realistic". Not that it really matters.
It just ramps the recon up to a skill level that encourages PDW leading style gameplay or a recon that hangs back a bit and provides finshing/wounding sniper fire. A bit is just behind your squad not 500 metres away, not that 500 metres away is an issue if you know what you're doing.
But we're talking squad play here.

Scope glint can go or stay I don't really care. There just has to be a way to make sure this game doesn't turn in Bad Company 2 PC where pot shotting recons are shooting from every peep hole.
I don't mind giving recon the short stick as long as skill can compensate. If you dislike the scope glare then put away your sniper rifle whilst scanning an area.
Do that or position yourself to expose yourself to small sections of your scan zone at a time.

I will agree that higher velocity and less ammo is a very good sugesstion though.
Probably different ammo types and a different attachment tree for sniper rifles overall would be nice.

38 hours on the m40 and I've been using it on and off since day 1.
It's not too many hours I suppose but I've been using it a lot lately.

Still 60% headshot ratio isn't too bad considering all the metro spamming I did at the beginning, and the long range sniping in the middle and now a combination of all 3 ranges :D

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/sol…s/203250109/pc/

EDIT: Average for my snipers is about 50-60% headshot accuracy so what ever that says.

Top 0% for the M1014 apparently :D

C4 Mob Detonator

Quoted

16:21 Dice: Guys i got board and did some number crunhing
16:21 leroy_bishop: shoot dice, what do you have?
16:21 Dice: Guess what tthe top 30 posts hold in coust cout % wise?
16:22 leroy_bishop: eh?
16:22 J0hn: Dice> Guess what tthe top 30 posts hold in coust cout % wise?
16:22 Lt_Col_Jesus: Can you say that again?
16:22 J0hn: WUT
16:22 Lt_Col_Jesus: In english?
16:22 leroy_bishop: ENGRiSH PLOX
16:22 J0hn: LOOL
16:22 Dice: 0.84% of the registered users hold 46.45% of the posts
16:22 J0hn: THAT NEEDS TO BE IN SOMEONE'S SIGNATURE
16:22 leroy_bishop: xD

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "leroy_bishop" (Sep 1st 2012, 6:30pm)