Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Watcher-45

He's watching...

(758)

• "Watcher-45" started this thread

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Monday, August 6th 2012, 8:41am

BF4, anyone else pissed about it?

Rant to follow.

I recently got an email from Origin that if I preordered MOH: Warfighter I'd reserve a spot in the BF4 Beta.

That instantly got me thinking.

Lets take BF2. How long was it's reign? It came out in 2005, had a few expansion packs, and never really lost popularity until BFBC2 came out for the PC in 2010. 2142 came out in 2006, but many people didn't take to it because they preferred a more modern setting so BF2 stayed supreme. Only until shortly after BFBC2 did BF2 servers really take a large hit and start to move resources to more modern titles.
Hell, BF2 was updated with patches up until 2009, and Punkbuster continued to update as well! I played BF2 for a long while even after BFBC2 came out because my PC wasn't good enough for BC2. I didn't buy BC2 until 2011 even , and BF2 servers were still going strong.

Now, BF3 came out only October of last year, and it's currently only August meaning the game hasn't even been out for a year.
There are still 3 definite DLC expansions still on the list to come out, and the base game is still undergoing tweaks and has some severe bugs and issues that are still to be addressed.

And now I see that BF4 is already getting spotlights, and they are already offering slots to the Beta release!

Wow. BF3 is still in infancy, still needs work, still has projected DLC that EA and DICE want to sell, and ALREADY they have put valuable resources into the next game!

Are they trying to go the way of COD where each "new game" is merely an overgrown expansion? Is it all about how to make the most money, not how to make the best game? Will BF3 product support and development continue after the release of BF4?
Well, BF2 support stopped after the release of BC2 and BC2 support stopped after the release of BF3. At least BC2 had a 2 year reign before BF3 came out and BC2 didn't have any expansion packs. Hell, BC2 was really only an expansion of the original BadCompany so a 2 year reign is really pretty good for such a small game.

BF3 will most likely be the most costly and shortest lived battlefield title to date. I am disappointed by that. With the amount of DLC scheduled, I thought that the BF3 title was a game that EA/DICE wanted to go the distance with. Make it the best/biggest battlefield game in the franchise to date.
But already with big plans for BF4, I can't help but feel like they are thinking about the customers' wallets, not the customers...

Anyone else feel this way? Am I just overreacting to something that has only been planned by the company and perhaps not even begun to be developed? Am I simply being short-sighted and thick-headed?

I don't think I'll buy BF4 if it comes out early/mid next year. If they can barely square away BF3 then nothing makes me think that BF4 will be anything more than a bug infestation and a minor graphics/mechanics "improvement".
If this is the way they want to play, then I think BF3 is the last Battlefield title I'll ever own.
All bike, all the time!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Watcher-45" (Aug 6th 2012, 8:48am)

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, August 6th 2012, 8:50am

Like how there's a definite NBA 2K13 and FIFA 2013 and... you get the point
We, the players do not have any control whatsoever with what the publishers / DICE makes. If it's a good game, buy it, play it.

Open Beta will start probably 4th quarter 2013, that's 2 full years of BF3, and honestly, there's really nothing much in between BF3 and BF4.

Do you know why 2142 was deemed terrible? It felt like a 50$ mod to some, it was a brilliant game that refined some BF2 quirks and actually gave a balanced gameplay without gun realism restricting the devs.

And now they keep forgetting THAT DICE ALSO CHURNS OUT GAMES every 2 years.

And guess what? Most of them were good, if not, at least memorable.

BF 1942, the first of its kind
BF Vietnam , the wacky mod
Battlefield 2, the "game that most keep hailing as the BEST of the series, yet conveniently forget the torrent of complaints that plagues DICE games."
Battlefield 2142, the game "that most people refer to as the 50$ mod, was actually good."
Bad Company, a single player that is kind of fun to play
Bad Company 2, same as above.

Most people forget the fact that DICE sucks. BUGS EVERYWHERE, IT IS NOT NEW TO BF3.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, August 6th 2012, 10:06am

For what reason exactly should we be pissed?

I don't mind spending 60 Eur once every 2 years for a Battlefield game.
Heck if you count Premium, I don't mind 120 EUR every 2 years for a Battlefield game. That's 5 EUR/month, it's pretty negligible.

Since we don't have a lot of details on BF4 I really cannot pass any judgment at this point.

The only really issue I could have with it would be if all it brings to the table could have been handled as an expansion for BF3 and we wouldn't have had to pay full price for it.

But if it comes with enough improvements, and less bugs to justify it then by all means, release a new game every couple of years (I don't see a point for yearly releases).

And it's not like BF3 will die all of sudden. Sure some players will migrate over to BF4 as soon as it will come out, but I'm sure that BF3 will retain a following for quite some time even after that. And in theory, the better players will remain, the "noobs" are more likely to jump ship.

Also, has it been confirmed on what platforms it will be released? Is there a chance for BF4 on PS4 (so hopefully 32+ players, better graphics, 1080p @ 60 fps)?

rainkloud

jet proximity scan <3

(611)

Date of registration
: Apr 13th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, August 6th 2012, 10:49am

There's some legitimate reasons to be concerned. I, for one, still consider the game to be in beta. For a company that has been doing multiplayer fps for so many years, the amount of bugs and balance issues are unacceptable to me. I still love the game. I appreciate all the hard work that when into it, but it is infuriating to see a list of relatively easy fixes go untouched until presumably September. There needs to be a way for them to quick fix things and whether that's through beta servers or through the server side concepts they have spoken of, they simply can't be taken as a AAA game studio until they get that locked down. If you look at all the great games they almost all have a superb level of refinement. That needs to be the goal.

I wish they would have milked the DLC cow a bit more before moving on to Bf4. I feel like there was plenty left to explore before it got stale. That said, I at least hope that like Riesig said, Bf4 is to Bf3 what 2142 was to Bf2: An evolutionary step rather than a revolutionary one. I enjoy digging into the stats and doing the things that we do here. But not to the extent that we do it. I'd rather be playing the game a lot more frankly, or rather enjoying the time I do more.

Date of registration
: May 2nd 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Monday, August 6th 2012, 11:13am

I agree with Watcher. A game should have pride in it, a lasting impression. A game should be used out until the feeling, "That was fun, lets make a new one!"

At this rate, this is just gonna be another one of those games/series where everything is spit out so fast it all becomes one big blur of redundant meaningless gaming.

Who wants to play a game where they try to be competitive, but then the whole crowd shifts to another game so suddenly? Once that new BF4 comes out BF3 IS DONE. I don't care how loyal people are, New Games > Older Games, no matter what, people have the need to play the most recent game. This just kills BF3, there is so much left to do! So many fixes and anticpated moves...but now with the end in sight, it just loses that sense of "worth".

Plus, the fact that DICE/EA is doing this, it just gives them such a bad rep...so COD'ish.

^ My [Gun Lover's] Sig (Type It In): 945k+ Hits! // Still Fixing KDR... // Current KDR Avg: 2.5~3.0
EDM Music Producer, Process @ Signing With Utra Records, Hit Me Up If You Want To Collab!
YT Channel (Under Construction, Add Me!)

:|
360 Leaderboards:
- Noob @ AN-94 // My Best: 1036 RPM
- 1%-4% Multiple Categories
- Defibrillator Kills: 1

Xbox: FEEDxMExMOAR
PC: Soon.

<('-'<) ^('-')^ (>'-')>

J35T3R

Punctual Joker

(74)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Monday, August 6th 2012, 11:28am

wont be buying warfighter for the simple fact its limited to 20 multiplayer slots
PC: Platform: PC

youtube chanel HIPFIREGAMER - YouTube

Date of registration
: Jun 18th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

If you want Bf3 to evolve for a couple of years to come, you need to adjust your expectations. Bar some tweaks and of course the DLC's nothing will happen. So bring on BF4 and let them nail it. The new xbox is supposed to land somehwere in 2013 so we can hope for major engine improvements.

Although I have to admit that I did expect BC3 to come before BF4. I guess that will follow pretty soon after BF4 then.

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

I do not like to be the devil's advocate, but people are slightly over-exaggerating.

"That was fun, lets make a new one!"

I'm pretty sure it does not work like that. Not with a game with the magnitude of BF3.
You have hundreds (I'm pulling this mostly out of my ass, I hope I am not too far off) of people working on it.
Once their job is done they move on to the next project (in this case BF4). A big part of them are actually laid off.

Sure, some people stick around to fix the balance, bugs etc. but that's pretty much a "skeleton crew".

I assume that BF4 was in development (in one stage or another) as soon as BF3 hit the shelves.
And I do not understand why people blame companies for wanting to make money. That is their purpose.

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, August 6th 2012, 11:54am

I tend to play the waiting game, I'm not too anal about "Developer obligation".
If it was terrible, they're not getting my money.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Athemoe

(1,426)

Date of registration
: Jul 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 17

Monday, August 6th 2012, 1:16pm

It's set for late 2013/ early 2014, so that' means 2-2.5 years after BF3.
so no, I don't mind it.
It was stupid to announce it a month after premium though.
Anywhoo I'd rather see BFBC3, but I doubt that it will happen.