Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:31am

Pistol Roles and Selection: An In-Depth Analysis

Intro
As Auto recommended, I will be making a huge report and major post for my 2,500th post on Symthic. I was a huge pistol maniac in Bad Company 2 (between 700 and 1300 kills with each pistol) and that affiliation for handguns has not faded during my time in Battlefield 3. The pistols in BF3 have very clearly defined roles and selecting a pistol may be difficult for players. This is meant to be a guide on the roles of pistols. Inside of each heading detailing a “role” of a pistol, you will find several subheadings detailing the multiple ways in which various pistols fill this role. Feel free to skip around a bit; this report will be quite long and exhaustive. Instead of talking about each pistol individually, I’ll talk about what pistols are supposed to do and mention which individual sidearms fill these expectations the best.

Kill Completion
Kill Completion is the term that I generally use to mean “finishing off” an opponent. In a sense, you are using your sidearm to put on the finishing points of damage that your primary failed to perform. Pistol discussion in this section focuses on the best pistols to eliminate heavily damaged targets.

By Saturation
Saturation is all about filling the air around the target with ammunition. You are trying to nick the guy one more time to finish him off. The only thing that matters in this situation is rate of fire, as the goal is to overwhelm the target by swarms of incoming rounds. Even a small number of hits will be sufficient for a kill as you will be picking off highly injured enemies. The G18 obviously excels at this given its massive 900 rpm rate of fire. The M9-3Raffica is actually slightly worse in this regard as you will likely be spraying from the hip and the burst fire mode of the Raffica is detrimental to rate of fire in this instance. However, both are useful and valid in this situation. I prefer the Raffica because of its general usefulness compared to the G18.

By Accuracy
The Accuracy approach to kill completion is similar to the Saturation approach in that the focus is to get a large quantity of rounds into the area near the target as quickly as possible. However, the important aspect in this situation is that the player need not aim down sights. The higher hipfire accuracy of the G17C relative to the other pistols is a clear advantage in this scenario. With the majority of other pistols, the player must aim down sights to get the kill. The G17C saves roughly a third of a second in this process by making acquiring the target easier and by reducing ADS Time to zero. The ’44 Magnum can be used similarly, but the player must stop moving to have reliable hipfire accuracy. This is situational and I would generally suggest that it is sub-par to the G17C for this role. The M1911 can also perform adequately here, but its lower rate of fire makes the G17C superior.

By Synergy
Synergy is the approach to pistols that involves using properties of similar damage curves to the primary weapon. For example, a round from most assault rifles at close range does 25 damage, like many pistols. The player has to hit the target a total of four times in any combination of pistol and rifle shots. The same example applies to the G3A3 and M1911 at close range or the SKS and MP412 at long range. These are simple examples of Synergy; the next section will be devoted to three kinds of pistol synergy.

Synergy
An extension of Kill Completion, Synergy focuses on using pistols with damage curves that closely resemble the damage output of the primary weapon at a given distance. This property allows pistols to aid in killing a target that was damaged by the primary weapon. However, Synergy is more subtle than the rest of Kill Completion roles, so it deserves its own section. All sidearms used in Synergy roles are dependent on the choice of primary weapon, though some examples will be given.

Legshots
The .91x legshot multiplier can be a pain sometimes. You have to deal 110 damage to a target that you hit in the legs with all rounds to get the kill (110*.91=100.1). Several weapons synergize with this legshot multiplier. For example, two hits from a 25 damage primary and one hit from the ’44 Magnum to the legs does 110 damage, enough for a kill. Three hits from a 20 damage primary and one hit from the MP412 does 110 damage as well. The legshot multiplier is only highly relevant in close quarters or from odd angles; however it is an important consideration to note. There will be multiple discussions of attacking targets from awkward angles later on in this post. For the Legshot role, just look to see if a combination of shots from your primary and secondary can deal 110 damage in total in at least one way.

Substitution
Substitution involves using a single round from a secondary to replace a given amount of rounds from a primary. Common examples include the MP412 making a 1:2 replacement for 25 damage weapons at close range and the M1911 replacing a single G3A3 shot at close range. The ’44 Magnum excels in this domain, as it deals 75 damage on a hit to the upper chest which is a 1:3 replacement for all 25 damage weapons. The best Substitution sidearms can substitute rounds at multiple ranges—for example, the M1911 replaces two rounds from the PP19 at close range and one at long range. This example is not largely relevant because of the large magazine size of the PP19; however, many more examples exist. The ’44 Magnum replaces two rounds of Carbine (to the legs and arms), replaces three rounds with a hit to the upper chest, or three (when to the upper chest) at close range and replaces two rounds as well at long range. This is a highly synergistic damage curve and the combination of a ’44 Magnum and a Carbine should be considered.

Combination
Combination is the most subtle form of synergy that exists, relying on awkward damage combinations of the primary and secondary that lead to a kill. Combination is roughly similar to Substitution but is differentiated by its much greater subtlety. These are most easily found by stumbling onto them and will generally not be seen except under close scrutiny, though some are more obvious than others. For example, the G3A3 and MP412 form a 2+2 Combination at long range (two shots from the G3A3 and two from the MP412) for exactly 100 damage (barring upper chest hits from the MP412). Most ARs and LMGS form 3+4, 4+2, and 5+1 combinations at long range with the G17C, M9, MP443, and M1911. This is a situation that will only arise on rare occasions but if found, adds necessary depth to the Synergy role of pistols.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Mar 3rd 2013, 4:25pm)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:31am

Second Primary
The Second Primary focuses on heavy usage of the sidearm as an alternative to the primary weapon, essentially allowing the player to run two primary weapons (three if using the M26 MASS). Both the primary and the secondary should be used heavily and possibly interchangeably, depending on situation and which subrole the player chooses to take with the chosen pistol.

Augmentation
In the Augmentation subrole, the player focuses on using a sidearm that functions well at ranges similar to those of the primary. This allows players to continue engaging targets the selected range when the primary is low on ammunition. This allows players to relentlessly push an attack with a close-range sidearm (G18 or M9-3R) coupled with a close-range primary. This also allows players to keep attacking targets at medium range with a long-range sidearm (’44 Magnum or ’44 Scoped) while maintaining their distance.

Compensation
Many weapons act poorly at certain ranges for accuracy or damage output reasons. The Compensation approach elects to use a sidearm that focuses on alleviating these range issues. The M9-3Raffica is the best choice for close range, with the G18 as a second choice. These should be considered when a long-range weapon (such as a sniper rifle) or weapon with inaccurate hipfire is selected as the primary. The ’44 Magnum and ’44 Scoped should be considered for long-range fire support when using a weapon that excels at close range but displays poor performance at extreme long range. The REX can also be used in this role with slightly limited success. The player should continue to use the primary weapon but will use the sidearm heavily based on the situation, whether it be fighting off an ambush, pushing up into enemy territory, or suppressing an enemy to move to cover. This can be considered “compensation” for a primary that fails at certain ranges. Many sidearms excel in these situations and a wide variety of pistols can be considered for this role. The Raffica and REX are my personal favorites for both Augmentation and Compensation.

Capacity (magazine)
We’ve all had this happen to us. We’re running around and our magazine runs out. “Do I reload, or do I use my sidearm?” With certain primary and secondary setups, the answer involves using your secondary to clear the area before putting rounds back into your primary weapon. There are two scenarios that may arise: either you will be clearing out a corner or similar area so that you can reload or you will be fighting off pursuers to give yourself some breathing room. In both scenarios, a close-range sidearm is ideal. The M9-3Raffica and G18 excel in this role. Note that in some cases, you will be checking dark corners—see the Utility section for more details about those situations.

Capacity (spare ammunition)
This is another thing that has happened to all of us. We’re running around on a great killstreak and our primary runs out. “No problem, I’ll just reload.” Well, sometimes that doesn’t work. Killstreaks take up a lot of ammunition; at some point, you’re going to run out. “I’ll just get ammo out of a Support.” Often enough, that fails too. In these situations, you are better off either using your pistol as a primary weapon until you die or using your pistol as a primary weapon until you find another weapon to use. The MP412 and M9-3Raffica are your best choices for this subrole. The G18 is somewhat inconsistent past 5m; the Raffica and REX can reliably get kills past this range but still excel at close-range combat. Your best bet in this situation is to try to get close to an enemy, take him down, and pick up his weapon. If he has a crappy primary, feel free to switch back to your old sidearm and repeat this process.

Peeking
In the peeking style of pistol usage, the player uses the pistol as a bullpup weapon to peek around corners for a kill. This technique is often employed while under heavy suppression at medium range. Pistols move faster while aimed down sights than most weapons. This allows the player to have the accuracy of an aimed weapon while only exposing himself to enemy fire for a limited time. The M9-3R functions the best in this role as the player can pop around a wall and fire off six rounds (likely a kill) in less than half of a second with careful aim. The ’44 Magnum also performs well in this role but will require peeking twice to fire two shots. It is preferable to the REX because of its increased range, though both revolvers are acceptable choices and the Raffica excels as well.

Revenge
Revenge is all about avenging your death. Upon being revived, you will be using your pistol for a short time to buy yourself time to get up and get away. In this process, it is likely that you will have to engage the enemy that dropped you. You are going to be trying to get revenge for yourself.

Prone
Upon being revived, you will be prone before you can stand up. In this situation, you are both the most vulnerable and the least exposed. You will be shooting up at targets around you, likely with hipfire. You will need to be aiming upwards. The REX, ’44 Magnum, and G17C can all be used in this role, but they should all be used differently as they will perform differently. The REX will be your best bet between 2m and 7m. Pay attention to aiming at the upper chest and head as a hit to the legs can cripple your chances of hitting the target. The REX also has the added benefit of ’44 Magnum-like hipfire when crouching and prone. This accuracy benefit is quite helpful upon being revived. Fire three rounds in rapid succession and then check to make sure that the target is good and dead. The ’44 Magnum is best when up close and personal because you will likely be pumping rounds into the target’s legs as you are going to be prone below a moving target. Stay still and hipfire two rounds into the target’s legs before standing up. The G17C is the most versatile in this role as it can afford to hit the legs a few times given its large magazine capacity. The Laser Sight gives you a crucial edge in your hipfire and the dot itself can be used to more easily aim upwards from below. Spam the trigger and likely the best will happen. The G17C is my personal preference for this role.

Standing Up
This is the other time in which you’ll be vulnerable upon being revived. The simple act of standing up gives you a slight time frame in which you won’t be able to fire and you will attract more enemy fire from targets that can now see you. This is the most risky situation to be in upon being revived; however, certain situations will dictate the necessity of standing upon revival. The REX and Raffica are the best pistols in this role. You want to fire slowly from the hip before standing and keep firing upon standing, this time aimed down sights. The REX is ideal due to its high damage output and good power at medium range. The Raffica also handles well in this situation as the burst nature of the sidearm gives you a window in which to stand up and the spread will return to base values when you stand.

Odd Angles
When clearing buildings, you will often be exposed to situations where your primary weapon is not viable and you must rely on your secondary due to the situation. Often, you will either be coming up from below or coming down from above. Certain sidearms perform well from different angles and are to be considered above a primary weapon.

Hitting from below
When climbing stairs, one must expect to hit the target in the legs several times. It’s not poor aim; it’s just happenstance due to circumstances. In this situation, you should expect to need an extra round to kill. The ’44 Magnum obviously excels in this role because it deals 120 damage when firing two rounds, far more than the 110 damage needed for a kill with all rounds impacting the legs (due to the .91x multiplier). The G17C is also ideal in this role as the laser sight allows you to see where your rounds are likely to end up. This allows you to aim upwards at the upper chest with much greater regularity, avoiding the legshots situation entirely.

Hitting from above
When descending stairs, the most exposed portion of a target will be the target’s head. In this situation, aiming for the head is much easier, though slightly more risky. A miss with a revolver can mean discovery and then death. With the M1911, however, you can fire off multiple rounds back-to-back without much trouble because of its higher rate of fire and much lower recoil than a revolver. The ’44 Magnum is actually quite terrible here as a miss requires you wait about half a second for the recoil to settle. In this amount of time, most enemies will run or find you. The REX also can perform in this role, but it suffers from the same problem as the ’44 Magnum (though slightly less acutely).

Attacking Prone Targets
Prone targets are a pain. The main advantage of fighting a prone target is that the target’s head is highlighted relative to the rest of his body. This makes the ’44 Magnum ideal, as it kills in one headshot out to an almost absurd range. The REX can be used similarly, though its irons make it easier to miss your first shot and sometimes two may be required, depending on the range. The M1911 also excels here as you can reliably hipfire the pistol twice into near where the target’s head is for the kill.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Mar 3rd 2013, 4:28pm)

This post by "ToTheSun!" (Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:32am) has been deleted by the author himself (Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:33am) with the following reason: lol

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:32am

Utility
Utility sidearms are best used when your primary weapon (or setup as a whole) excels at combat at all ranges. Utility sidearms are used very differently from regular sidearms; one uses them situationally for their attachments rather than their killing potential. They add diversity and multiple functionalities to a loadout that excels in all other aspects and doesn’t really need a sidearm for combat. Utility sidearms are at their best when used with a typical Assault setup involving the M26 MASS so as to excel at close-range combat.

’44 Scoped
The ’44 Scoped has a PK-A mounted on a normal ’44 Magnum. You will be using it for “scouting,” in this case using the high-power optics to check an area for targets at medium range before moving in at closer ranges to finish out the group. It gives you a clear idea of where the enemies are and which flanking routes are ideal to attack the group. The ’44 Scoped can also be used like a “pocket PK-A” with which to line up shots at medium to long range against stationary targets. For example, I generally run a Kobra on the AN94. At targets in the 100m or greater range, the Kobra is far from ideal for acquiring targets such as snipers. I simply line up the target in the ’44 Scoped’s PK-A and switch to my AN-94 without moving or aiming and fire off four or five bursts. This is highly effective against snipers. Both uses are situational but add diversity to the loadout.

Suppressor
The Suppressor really isn’t that great right now. However, it’s incredibly convenient to be able to function with stealth while behind enemy lines. Generally, you will be using a suppressed pistol at close range behind enemies. The G18S is obviously ideal for this as it kills incredibly quickly with a Suppressor and you can afford to miss a few shots. The G18S is best used when you will likely be within a meter or two of targets. The M1911S is your best other option as it has the longest four-hit kill range of any suppressed sidearm. Four hits is the ideal amount; any more and the target will find you. The M1911S is best used between 2m and 10m. The G17C is the best of the other suppressed pistols because it doesn’t have a hipfire penalty relative to the stock pistols; however, the low damage output makes it incredibly sub-par compared to the M1911S.

Tac Lights (from above)
An extension of the odd angles discussion above, sometimes you will need to use a TacLight to clear out dark corners on maps such as Seine Crossing. The M1911 is at its best when descending, as discussed previously. It remains the best of the TacLight’d pistols because of its amazing time to kill when attacking from above and getting headshots. In general, the M1911T is the best of the TacLight’d pistols because of its exceptional functionality on a horizontal plane. The other sidearms have a much longer TTK at close range when firing laterally; the M1911 just does their job better when attacking from above or laterally. However, it fails when attacking from below due to its small magazine capacity.

Tac Lights (from below)
As the M1911 has trouble when attacking from below due to its low magazine capacity and what is generally a four-hit kill, the M9T and MP443T have some room to shine. The M9T’s clearer iron sights are much better for engaging in 1v1s. In such scenarios, you will likely not need the extra two rounds that the MP443T provides. The MP443T is better when you will expect to find multiple enemies huddled in a corner due to its larger magazine. In this situation, you will likely be spamming the trigger in the general area of the targets so the slightly less clear iron sights are not a major disadvantage.

Trolling
Most of us here have heard of birgirpall. The very idea of trolling with pistols mainly comes from his T-REX suggestion: using the REX to set off C4 to kill tanks that one has t-boned with a Jihad Jeep. This credits the pistol with the kill. The ’44 Magnum can do this as well, and AT Mines can be used instead of C4 for even more versatility in your trolling. Expect some hatemail and server bannings; that’s what you’re trying for. Just remember to laugh at it all. :D

Comfort
Comfort is, of course, hugely relevant when selecting a sidearm. If you are not comfortable using the sidearm in a given situation, it will let you down time and time again. For this reason, I recommend playing at least one round of Team Deathmatch with each pistol. This will give you an idea of how to use each pistol and will help you choose a sidearm if you are unsure. Be prepared to play several rounds of TDM with just the chosen pistol to better accustom yourself to its strengths and weaknesses. This will prepare you much better when you need to use a pistol on the battlefield.

Nick’s Tips
REX
I find it best with the REX to fire four rounds at once when hipfiring. You’re putting twice the amount of lethal ammunition into the area of a target; this generally offsets its low accuracy. Fire three rounds when ADS for the same reason.

Raffica
When using the Raffica, chain your bursts into one another. Don’t just spam the trigger; let one burst leave the weapon and make another follow it. Do this by sound and feel, not by button-mashing. This will become more relevant upon the upcoming Raffica nerf. Generally, it is best to fire two bursts back-to-back and let the recoil and spread settle for a fraction of a second. Spread builds up quickly with the M9-3R.

G17C
You’ll be amazed at the hipfire range of the G17C. Yes, it has debatably bad iron sights. If you’re using the G17C, you should never see them.

’44 Magnum
The ’44 Magnum’s lower rate of fire make it very hard to spam from the hip at close range. Yes, it is doable. However, I would recommend aiming down sights before firing. Aim for the head against prone targets.

M1911
Aim for the head. It sounds hard (especially on console), I know. But at 10m, it’s not too difficult to line up the target’s head from the hip. I would definitely recommend hipfiring the M1911 most of the time. It feels very comfortable from the hip, almost as much so as the G17C.

M9
The iron sights are gorgeous. Don’t forget to use them!

MP443
You have more ammo capacity with the MP443 than you do with the standard M9. This means that you don’t necessarily need to be as careful with placing your shots as you do the M9. Sometimes, spam is the answer.

G18
The high recoil makes the G18 a headshot machine. Start firing from the hip (at the target’s chest) and control the recoil upwards while aiming down sights. This will generally put you near the target’s head and the G18’s high rate of fire will take care of the rest.

This is my 2.5k post. Thanks for putting up with me for so long, Symthic!

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Jul 14th 2012, 2:45am)

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 2:46am

@Dr.Mango's
I lol'd

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!

As far as the discussion goes, a lot of it is obvious, but sometimes you just need someone to spell it out for you.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Jul 19th 2012, 5:05pm)

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 4:16am

I was afraid you'd be upset at me, so, i deleted it >.<

It was funny, though.

Date of registration
: Jun 8th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 5:34am

Looks good. I always hoped pistols would get a damage buff(except revolvers), but very thorough report. as primarily a sniper recon, I have had to use the pistols extensively. The Rex its by far the best for a second primary, because of the competitive time to kill(the magnum is good, but I heard it was going to get nerfed).

One important thing to note is that you are NOT vulnerable while standing up from a revive.

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 6:25am

Yep, you're not vulnerable while standing up, but you're exposing more of yourself to the enemies. That's what I mean by "more vulnerable"--more people will be shooting at you.

@Sun
Yeah, I saw it and laughed. I figured it was a joke.

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted from "Pheozero"

Quoted

Quoted

(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 6:27am

I want to understand the G17C but I just can't... It is sexy though.

Failure117

cheap kitchen leeds

(76)

Date of registration
: Jun 27th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, July 14th 2012, 6:34am

Nick, you're the shit. Great post!
GT: F4ilure 117.
Unholy Leader of the Order of q.