Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

• "Nick 30075" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 10:59am

Improving Scope Glint

It was mentioned in the Sniper Rifle Balance thread that scope glint needs some work. How do we make it more realistic while maintaining balance?
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

Date of registration
: Apr 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:03am

Necessary evil I think, but I wish it would only glint while ADS

PyaKura

Password Giver

(327)

Date of registration
: Apr 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:05am

The most realistic way to improve it is to make the glint less visible when the soldier has the sun behind him, and in dark maps like Metro.
Ded.

Aenonar

Data Analyzer

(2,796)

Date of registration
: Dec 16th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:20am

VERY slowly build up strength the longer you're remained stationary.. Like practically nothing for the first 10 seconds. The current glare power should be the final value..
Only work ADS
Significantly reduced in low light, plus sun direction would be neat as well... Would make picking sniper dens more interesting...

To be honest I don't even see why it's required in the first place... You can snipe just as well under 200 meters with the 4x, and even more if you take the time.. Above that snipers aren't really a threat in the first place. Just stupid how snipers are the only ones that have to get punished for doing their jobs. And non-snipers are just as deadly at under 200 meters anyways, if not more... The only one really benefiting of the sniper glare are other long range snipers that have to find the enemy quick since they're stationary. But they're really the only one at any significant risk, and neither of them are of any real use to the team as a whole :|

Could pretty much be removed, or tuned down so much that it's just a tiny little bright dot.. Probably no one would even have missed if it wasn't there in the first place :|

Quoted

(14:06:57) Riesig: I should stop now. People might get sig material again

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:29am

Tbh scope glint helps the snipers almost as often as it reveals him, atleast in softcore. When the sniper doesnt kill me with his first shot i just spot and kill him (if he isnt spotted already) with the AN94. At very long distances the scope glint only makes it harder for me to aim at the dorito after i hit the Q key. Scope glint may be a pain in the ass in wookie vs wookie situations but i dont care at all for their complaints. HC is probably a different story.
I am part of that power which would the evil ever do and ever does the good.

Are you a Symthican and a PC BF3 player?

A catfish has appeared!

Help represent Symthic on the battlefield.
Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "altered" (Jun 9th 2012, 11:36am)

Date of registration
: May 2nd 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:32am

Overall reduce the glint size and power. That's the easy answer. It would be a linear function per range. Farther obviously means less of a glint.

Create a reference point in each map, or an artificial "sun point" and depending on the Sniper's position the glint will become bigger/smaller. Seems not very plausible since it would need a big string of code to create such a dynamic concept.

That's all. No need to make it more complex, just reduce glint in general. Or, only show glint while ADS.

^ My [Gun Lover's] Sig (Type It In): 945k+ Hits! // Still Fixing KDR... // Current KDR Avg: 2.5~3.0
EDM Music Producer, Process @ Signing With Utra Records, Hit Me Up If You Want To Collab!
YT Channel (Under Construction, Add Me!)

:|
360 Leaderboards:
- Noob @ AN-94 // My Best: 1036 RPM
- 1%-4% Multiple Categories
- Defibrillator Kills: 1

Xbox: FEEDxMExMOAR
PC: Soon.

<('-'<) ^('-')^ (>'-')>

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:40am

Overall reduce the glint size and power. That's the easy answer. It would be a linear function per range. Farther obviously means less of a glint.

Create a reference point in each map, or an artificial "sun point" and depending on the Sniper's position the glint will become bigger/smaller. Seems not very plausible since it would need a big string of code to create such a dynamic concept.

That's all. No need to make it more complex, just reduce glint in general. Or, only show glint while ADS.

I dont like the idea because i think that the wookies farther away should be punished more. Only scope glint while ADS seems to be the perfect solution to me if there is a need for a solution in the first place.
I am part of that power which would the evil ever do and ever does the good.

Are you a Symthican and a PC BF3 player?

A catfish has appeared!

Help represent Symthic on the battlefield.
Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

Date of registration
: Apr 30th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:45am

I agree with Altered on this.

I thought it only happened while ADS anyway? I know you can see a glint from friendly snipers if they run past you, but judging by the way enemy glares in the distance appear and disappear I was under the impression it was only appeared when they were aiming.

Personally I think the scope glare is necessary. Even with it snipers can dominate the open maps far too much and yesterday on Caspian I had the impression that every hill had a bloody sniper on it because you couldn't move without being picked off from somewhere. The only concession I would give (assuming it only appears while ADS) is that the glare should be reduced *slightly*, either in brightness or in duration, but only by about 20% at most.

ToTheSun!

Be Creative.

(5,050)

Date of registration
: Mar 9th 2012

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:50am

Scope glint is not required, at all! It should be removed from the game, pronto. For soldiers who keep moving and PTFO, it's very rare to get killed by a sniper. I, seriously, can't remember the last time i was killed by a bolt action, with the exception of a bolt action duel i had with this dude on metro, 2 days ago (we were both using reflex/kobra, anyway). Also, bolt action users already have a hard time being as effective as other classes.

Probably will never happen, but i'd love to see it removed. Or, at least, make it so that it only reflects actual sunlight.

TheLB95

Railgun Engineer

(871)

Date of registration
: May 5th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Saturday, June 9th 2012, 11:59am

Scope glint should be removed full stop. We have the bullshit killcams that are a big enough disadvantage.

If a wookie wants to lay on the carrier and get no kills let 'im, he's not gonna get spotted if he doesn't get any kills and besides, the only thing he is going to be killing is other recons that, when they know where he is, will undoubtedly kill him.

PC master race!

CPU; Intel i7 2600K @4.3GHz
CPU Cooler; Corsair H60 cooler
Memory; 12GB 1866MHz Corsair RAM
GPU; ASUS GTX 670 (slightly OC'd)
Mobo; ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Storage; 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD + Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD (7200RPM)
PSU; Cooler Master GX 650 Bronze