Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

• "Witchalok" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 12:17pm

Why stats matter...

Regardless on what forum discussing BF3 you may find yourself, there will always be that one thread discussing which stat is better, and how high it should be.

And it's not just BF3 either, you can find this situation on any gaming forum. People on WOW forums discuss their DPS or healing or threat generation as if they were numbers of great importance.
On D3 forums, there were threads were people bragged about how high they managed to push their DPS.

It's always come across to me as an e-peen thing. Some people just want to gain "internet fame" and to be congratulated on their high stats as if it were an accomplishment to be respected.
Other try to justify their stats by coming up with different reasons why it's so low. As if that will somehow elevate them in the eyes of their peers.

On the other side of the barricade are the people who keep saying "stats don't matter, just have fun".

I have my own view on the matter, which I am sure is shared by many others, that stats do matter - to yourself.

When I first started playing BC2 I had very little experience with console shooters in multiplayer: some 10 hours in Warhawk, some 30 hours in Killzone 2 and around 10 hours in BC1.
Compared tot he other games, BC2 managed to keep me playing for much more than 10 or 20 hours (just for reference I stopped playing when BF3 came out, and I have 468 hours logged in).
At first it was just about having fun: trying to kill the other players and trying to help the team win the match.

BC2 is less stat-centric than BF3, and for a long time I did not care what my stats were.
However I think that every player (or at least most) have that inner desire to be guy at the top of the board at the end of the match.
So I thought to myself "OK, I need to get better at this game."
So I went to Denkirson's webpage to see the stats for the different weapons, I started reading the forums, and I started checking my stats on bfbcs.

The stat which seemed the most important to me at the time was K/D. Which was somewhere around 0.8. Not that bad, but not great either.
So I set out to improve it.
This led to some tactics that I am not entirely proud of. Sessions of Hardcore matches hiding in bushes around travelled paths taking people out.
I was a bushwookie - one with a VSS and not a bolt action but a bushwookie nonetheless.

However this helped me improve my aim, both against stationary and moving targets.
In time I got bolder, and I started to switch to assault. No longer was I a bushwookie, but I was still farming kills and not really playing the objectives as that presented a higher risk of dying.
My K/D reached 1 (that was a happy day indeed) and then increased some more, but my SPM was still somewhat low.
As I got more confident in my gunplay, I started being more aggressive and taking the initiative.

So my next goal was to reach level 50. In order to reach that fast I needed to work on my SPM. So all of a sudden I was attacking flags and m-comms left and right, trying to get as many points as possible.
In my "quest" to improve my K/D and to reach level 50 I managed to improve my gameplay by a lot.
In the end I was regularly getting the Ace pin (217 in some ~1100 games), I had an overall K/D of 1.46, I platinum-ed all of the engineer weapons (plus mines, RPG and Gustav), and all but one of the assault weapons (+ the 40 mm shotgun) + a couple of others.

Once BF3 came out I set myself a goal of 2 K/D and a high SPM (BF3 award more points so I did not have a clear target).
Long story short, after getting adjusted to the game (had some big issues with input lag) I was somewhere around 1.5 K/D (with 3000 kills) and around 350 SPM.
I put my goal at 2 K/D and 450 SPM (and then 500 SPM, and then 550, and I was finally happy when it reached 600) and started working on it .

In my opinion having a goal that you set out to reach really helps to improve your game play.
You "regret" every death so you try to see what you did wrong and what you could have done better to avoid it. Was it your aim, your gun set-up, the way you approached the enemy?
You force yourself to always be pushing for objectives, for revives, for repairs, for vehicle destroys because you need to keep your SPM high. You do not have the "luxury" to camp in a corner or to say "that Flag is too well defended, I cannot take it". It doesn't work like that, you need to find a way to capture it.

Right now I am sitting on a 2.4 K/D (I want to reach 2.5 and it's slowly going up but it's not easy to do it in CQ without whoring the vehicles non-stop), I am quite happy with my SPM of 684 (I never went in a Metro Server with the intention to pad it) and I am working towards a W/L of 3.0 (it's 2.967 at the moment, although for CQ which I play the most it's 4.21).

And I really do not care what other people think about my stats. I know I "worked" hard for them, I know that I am a much better player than when I first started playing battlefield (BC2) and having played against some very good players I know that in my good days I can give them one hell of a run.
At the same time I am having fun playing the game with friends I made over PSN (with most of them I am playing since BC2).

And after each session I go to bf3stats.com to see how I did.
Because analyzing my gameplay/stats helps me win, and I enjoy winning.

Riesig

Random Signature Generator

(814)

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 12:23pm

Only my W/L ratio is respectable, the rest are average. :X
I'm slowly building up my SPM as well, my K/D is 1.4XX and also steadily rising. Must be because I suck back then.

By the way, one thing that's always pointed out on my stats is my "low" squad score points. xD I revive, I heal, I resupply. But they don't happen to be my squad mates. Simply following 3 guys around in a public game is a hassle.
I'm a tsundere tentacle

Witchalok

Grounded in reality

(301)

• "Witchalok" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 6th 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 12:32pm

Well that's just the thing. Respectable and average compared to what? Only you can put a measure to it; how much do you value them?

As you say, you revive, heal, etc. but your squad score is still low. You shouldn't care what other people think as long as you know you're doing your job.

Date of registration
: Apr 11th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 1:58pm

Started off at 450 spm, 2.0 K/D

Had a former clan member that had over 800 SPM and 2.6 K/D

Well, let's just say I surpassed him

At this point, ever since I changed my playstyle to a more conquest gameplay mindset, this game has become easy. I have had some fun with recon lately, either using shotguns or semi auto snipers.
I have never thought, "I play for MVPs". I have had a mindset to crush the scores of everyone else in game. As stats get higher, you play increasingly better.(just my experience) Eventually I will hit 900 spm and 3.0 K/D.

Stats can matter, but it depends how seriously you take this game.

Date of registration
: Mar 8th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 2:01pm

Unfortunately with the huge number of players that are cheating and stat padding, its made the relevance of stats almost meaningless. Until we can get a fully cheat free game then stats will always be questionable. The only use for them is to analyze your own performance and measure your improvements.

Suiizide

Resident Pro

(744)

Date of registration
: Dec 30th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 4:16pm

I push myself for the higher stats agreed. They don't matter as a measure of worth, they matter as personal goals.

On a side note, vehicle whoring is fun! Once you reach a certain skill level, one of the most amusing things to do is go on Noshahr CQ 24/7 and shoot down Little Bird scrubs who fly directly in front of you.

Sig

The T-90 is a challenge, the BTR-90 is going to kill everyone in a 100 meter radius and go flying off a hill into a helicopter only to drive off while the corpse of the Cobra it just went through is being dragged through the beach on Oman.
The game will include a fully automatic An-94 launcher, literally firing Abakans at 600 RPM.
clicky
I expect rep.
If J3ST3R is dead, I think I just heard the entity that is grammar let out a sigh of relief...
To say nothing of the inordinate expense incurred by adding functionality to the gun that I may not ever use.
IKEA is the problem! Its all Desksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesksdesks but oh, oh the second you say you want a table they chuckle and say "A table? You mean a kitchen table? How about a bedside table? Oh! Oh you must mean a dining room table!" and I'm like "NO! NO I JUST WANT A STANDARD, BLACK, BORING TABLE!" and they look at me then smile and go "You mean this? 170..." :(
Also, why does the RANDOM thread have a topic?

Why do fish have legs?
Fucking dutch.

Pheozero

I turn down for no one

(1,174)

Date of registration
: May 3rd 2012

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 4:26pm

Personally my stats are for me. It shows me how far I've come in this game and what I've done to get there. Started with a 1.5 k/d and about a 250 SPM.

altered

altered his username

(728)

Date of registration
: Feb 22nd 2012

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 5:41pm

Stats are important to me too but like others said before only to track my own improvement. I didnt play many FPS that have Ironsights before just games like Counterstrike, L4D or AVA (wich i played for 178h and was the FPS i have by far played the most of all) where you hipfire only. So for me it was a rough start into BF3 as i had pretty bad accuracy (about 10% on most ARs) and reflexes. I really liked the game though and wanted to get better so i set some goals like getting a positive KD and a better accuracy. Everytime i reached my goal i set a new one and now im at about 1.5 KD and have 16%+ accuracy on all ARs and even 21%+ with the AN94.
I dont really care how good my stats are in comparison to others all i care about is that they are getting better. I play for fun but after 100 hours of gameplay, when you have tryed out all the stupid things you can do in the game, most of the fun comes from impoving yourself. This is also why i dont statpad at all since i wouldnt get that feeling of personal accomplishment from it, like i do when my stats get better trough "playing to win the match".
The most important stat for me is the WL ratio (and i admire the pople who have a really good one) but i also find thisone the hardest to improve. I play 64p CQ maps almost exclusively most of the time alone and its really hard for me to influence the outcome of a match on some teams im put on, even if im the MVP of the match i still lose very often.
Also after 600h+ of gameplay and 40k kills it takes longer and longer to improve the stats and there is a huge discrepancy between my monthly Stats and my overall stats wich probably means that im learning slower than others :( .

TLDR: I want to improve my skills not my stats but my stats represent my skills to some degree so they are a neat tool to track my skill improvement.
I am part of that power which would the evil ever do and ever does the good.

Are you a Symthican and a PC BF3 player?

A catfish has appeared!

Help represent Symthic on the battlefield.
Join Team Symthic!

"If it revolves around DICE physics...i will find a way to abuse it in some ridiculous manor, that you can count on" - elementofprgress

Date of registration
: May 2nd 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 7:01pm

I am just like many of you guys, I came into BF3 as a complete noob, and did mediocre until I colonel and decided I needed to get better. By then I was checking battlelog/bf3stats constantly, and happy to say, I've come a long ways..My mentality is a serious guy that believes that any thing he does in a competitive should be done...well competitively. It almost represents who you are in a way. With all respect to all people, I ultimately don't hate/judge for the most part, but if someone is a just a rec player or bad stats at a high level I look at them and think, they are not competitive or lazy in that sense. Their sense of "survival" in a way is not there. And this is not only for games, but anything I do. Obviously, I don't take it that far and know where the line is, but when it comes down to it, people who want to improve and set themselves to become better must have a work hard mentality and survival instinct to show their prominence...in a virtual world of only men lol... vs. people that are inherently bad, lazy to improve, or just want to have care-free fun :)

^ My [Gun Lover's] Sig (Type It In): 945k+ Hits! // Still Fixing KDR... // Current KDR Avg: 2.5~3.0
EDM Music Producer, Process @ Signing With Utra Records, Hit Me Up If You Want To Collab!
YT Channel (Under Construction, Add Me!)

:|
360 Leaderboards:
- Noob @ AN-94 // My Best: 1036 RPM
- 1%-4% Multiple Categories
- Defibrillator Kills: 1

Xbox: FEEDxMExMOAR
PC: Soon.

<('-'<) ^('-')^ (>'-')>

Date of registration
: Apr 27th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 8:14pm

Stats do matter to a certain extent - I don't understand people who don't accept this.

I started off with a 1.8 K/D and a 525 SPM (on my other account) - I stayed at this for about 2 months of my starting the game. Currently it's at 2.4 K/D and 760+ SPM, and both of those stats keep rising. However, right now I've improved so much more, in my games I usually get over a 3 K/D. And since it's so difficult to rise K/D, I made a new account (this). I don't really mind how others see it but it's me - my personal thoughts. I WANT a 3 K/D, and that's the reason I made a new account.

Like I'm sure many of you will know, SPM doesn't matter to me (as much). You get a lot of 'score' per minute. Cool story bro.
Symthic?