Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "commandough" started this thread

Date of registration
: Oct 8th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Monday, November 21st 2016, 5:25am

Why does the storm variant exist?

Especially for non-lmgs.
It seems like the Storm is just the factory "no attachment is an attachment" variant of the LMG class, but even then I can't quite understand what role it's supposed to fill. Yes, the weapon is better at what it does, but why was that combination of attachments selected and given those values. Compare the Madsen Low Weight to the Madsen Storm, where's the clear distinction?

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, November 21st 2016, 5:27am

Storm is lower recoil, so Comp/Brake. Don't the weapons' descriptions explain this?
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, November 21st 2016, 5:38am

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ChineseToTheBone" (Nov 21st 2016, 5:45am)

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Battlelog:

Monday, November 21st 2016, 6:20am

Storm is the offensive version, made to shoot more on the move and at closer range. In general they can shoot faster due to the lower recoil and they're better at the hip. The downside is less accuracy and no optics.

Here's a fun fact: the word "stormtrooper" was invented in 1915 and they were an elite force of German soldiers specialized in infiltration, especially of enemy trenches.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,974)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, November 21st 2016, 6:36am

Storm is the offensive version, made to shoot more on the move and at closer range. In general they can shoot faster due to the lower recoil and they're better at the hip. The downside is less accuracy and no optics.

Here's a fun fact: the word "stormtrooper" was invented in 1915 and they were an elite force of German soldiers specialized in infiltration, especially of enemy trenches.

This is misleading.

Optical variants are used for moving ADS.

Trench variants are used for moving hipfire.

Low Weight variants are used for responsiveness and they can actually shoot faster thanks to reduced recovery time.

Storm variants do not actually lose accuracy. They gain accuracy in both hipfire and ADS by reducing hRecoil. They also gain useability through reduced vRecoil.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Battlelog:

Monday, November 21st 2016, 7:20pm

Storm variants do not actually lose accuracy. They gain accuracy in both hipfire and ADS by reducing hRecoil. They also gain useability through reduced vRecoil.

From what I've seen here the word "accuracy" is solely used to describe a weapon's ADS spread, or how accurate an accurate shot actually is. By that standard the Storm variant of every gun has the least accuracy. Recoil is usually considered a separate issue. If you want to compile accuracy and recoil and other stats into something called "usability", I get that. But even the game's description of the Selbstlader 1916 boasts it's reputation for pinpoint accuracy, even though it's recoil and hipfire spread are terrible.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ballistic" (Nov 21st 2016, 9:41pm)

Date of registration
: Mar 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, November 21st 2016, 7:59pm

Especially for non-lmgs.
It seems like the Storm is just the factory "no attachment is an attachment" variant of the LMG class, but even then I can't quite understand what role it's supposed to fill. Yes, the weapon is better at what it does, but why was that combination of attachments selected and given those values. Compare the Madsen Low Weight to the Madsen Storm, where's the clear distinction?

I posted this with the analisys of what the versions mean:

What weapon variants mean (full auto)

Versions break the design logic of BF4: a good feature was compensated with a bad one.

Here they change just one thing perhaps tending to create niches of use.

Storm version (full auto) would the best at midle range, stationary and in continous burts (barrier fire).

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Monday, November 21st 2016, 9:08pm

From what I've seen here the word "accuracy" is solely used to describe a weapon's ADS spread, or how accurate an accurate shot actually is. By that standard the Storm variant of every gun has the least accuracy. Recoil is usually considered a separate issue. If you want to compile accuracy and recoil and other stats into something called "usability", I get that.

To go with the description in the game, "Battlefield 1" refers to the recoil as Control and the spread as Accuracy under the section Weapons & Gadgets.

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Monday, November 21st 2016, 9:36pm

Low Weight variants are used for responsiveness

I hate to be "that stupid guy", but what is "responsiveness" in terms of weapon use ?

I know what the word translates to: going towards somebody, assisting, fast adaptability

But WHAT does this mean in gameplay? I cant capture the essence in a meaningful way. "Moving ADS" and "Hipfire", these are meaningful descriptions, I can grasp. But "responsiveness" is too vague.

Is it like that time in BF4, when grips got nerfed and people thought No-Grip is Best-Grip, because of spread and tap-firing ?

The way the new spread mechanics work, tap-firing is much less of a meta, so why implement an attachment like that in the first place ?
still playin' Motorstorm

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,974)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, November 21st 2016, 10:14pm

@Ballistic

Yet we typically think of accuracy as how well a weapon can land its damage.

The two major components that define accuracy are spread and hRecoil.

@ARE5R06

Responsiveness = fast adaptability

You have the ability to quickly shoot accurately when transitioning from a sprint or between targets.

Basically, you have less wait time before the weapon is accurate.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.