Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 6:54am

Things that I like/will miss about BF1

So many of these things could potentially be in the next Battlefield but I am going to list a couple of things that were unique about this game that I will miss if they arent implemented into the next game.

Realistic ballistics:
DICE took time to realistically implement a ballistic model into BF1. In prior battlefield games, the velocity was constant and was usually somewhat low compared to IRL caliber counterparts. BF1 has a more realistic model where the bullet has a comparatively high muzzle velocity that slows down as the bullet fights wind resistance. If this is not implemented in BF2018, I will be very upset.

Caliber charactaristics
If one takes time to do research, one will find DICE took time to correctly implement characteristics of the calibers compared to their real counterparts. For example, you will find virtually every weapon in game has the historically correct muzzle velocity based on their caliber. The .351SLW fired by the m1907 had a muzzle velocity of 570 m/s IRL and this was correctly implemented in game. The original 30-06 M1906 round used during WW1 had a velocity of 820 m/s and had a boat tail (low drag) bullet. Both of these characteristics are implemented in game to all 30-06 rounds. another example is how within their classes calibers will be more or less powerful than others. If we compare for example the m1907 firing .351SL and the Model 8 .25 extended firing .25 remington, the m1907 has more damage and retains damage better over range. IRL, this is the case with these calibers. The .25 remington at the muzzle had 1,600 joules of energy from a bullet weighing 7.5g. The .351SL had a muzzle energy of 1,900 joules from an 11.6 grain bullet. This power difference is reflected in game with how the more massive .351 with more energy has more base damage and retains it better over range compared to the lightweight .25 remington that has less energy. (a more massive bullet retains KE better over range than a lighter one)

Reduced super casual ease of use spammables such as autolocking missiles from BF4.
as a tanker, I loathed STAFF shells that had no drop and never required a direct hit. as infantry, I loathed XM25 operation locker no Line of Sight spam. as a pilot, I loathed active radar missiles that came with little warning and could be fired instantly and required no precision. I hated them because loosing to cheap game mechnics isnt fun at all. it caters to low skill passive gameplay and punishes players who want a genuine sense of gameplay. This one is subjective but I stiff feel BF1 lacked much of these things. The battlefront style hero mechanic with the elite classes could be considered an ease of use cop out but there was only one of them at a time per elite and had drawbacks. The cavalry is annoying but can be countered. the mechanics that I listed as spammables from BF4 had little counter as they could be used passively and gave a near complete advantage. I DO NOT miss these mechanics and do not want to see them or anything resembling them in BF2018.

This is what I have right now. any thoughts?
Official heretic of the Symthic forums. Avid M1907 factory user and complete casual pleb.
Iplaysgames96 - Profile Overview - Battlefield 1 Tracker

Date of registration
: Dec 7th 2011

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 9:53am

I'm going to miss the behemoths and cavalry. Behemoths are fun, they may not be able to turn a match around very often, but they shake things up at the end of the match. Anything that adds variety in a match that would otherwise be a repetitive slog towards a foregone conclusion is good.
bob

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,248)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, February 25th 2018, 11:33am

There is not one thing that I will miss in another game of the BF franchise. For me every feature they introduced in BF1 was a minor or major step into a direction I did not want the franchise to take.

I can calm you though at least about the calibre characteristics as you call it. The noticeable differences between the weapons even within class were mandatory because of the huge difference in operating mechanics and specifically the amount of bullets that fit in a gun. When you have the M1907 Sweeper at one end and the RSC at the other you have to think about making both viable and that works at best with differentiating ballistics and damage. I would have still put them on the same foundation, so you do not have to balance 30 weapons individually, but well.
However with the Season Pass gone for good and likely free maps for the next installment they will have to find other ways to monetize on the game. The best way to do this is obviously by going down the R6 route to sell classes/loadouts/gadgets and weapons. As you can not simply sell weapon skins you would again differentiate each new weapon and balance it separately. This works regardless of the setting, too, but is easier in a game with a wide variety of calibres, like WW II.

As on the so so-called super casual stuff: Depending on the setting you will surely see more of it. Also that kind of stuff was not gone in BF1 either. The Flare Gun as well as defensive C4 still fulfill that. And by the way, the XM25 was the most ingenious addition to the franchise. A highly tactical tool that required thinking to be used effectively and could break up stalemates and keep the match dynamic. AR missiles were more of a nuisance and often the only way to "deal" with jets by being able to hit them. The whole air game goes to shit when jets are implemented in the game, as seen in BF2, BF3 and BF4.

At this point I am not sure if I would be okay with anything carried over to the new game from BF1, or if I would want them to create something new with a fresh slate. The choice would be between a BF1/Battlefront 2 hybrid where EA played it safe or a game like Overfield: Battleloot Royale where they manage to implement the worst features of all games. Ah and with an even more intrusive Origin experience.

Yeah I am looking at it pretty grimdark and I am tempted to make an assumption thread, I just have been severely disappointed like I never thought I would be.

Date of registration
: Jan 1st 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 8:33pm

That depends entirely on what the next iteration will change, doesn't it?

Considering what BF1 has wrought it might be the last title of the franchise I'll have spent money on. It's one of the few games where I have experienced actual buyer's remorse.

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 11:19pm

Quoted

Considering what BF1 has wrought it might be the last title of the franchise I'll have spent money on. It's one of the few games where I have experienced actual buyer's remorse.
Personally I think for $60 of the base game it has provided me enough entertainment value, but the more important thing for me is that from BF1 I learned which design aspects I like and I do not like. I will be looking deeper into the design for the next BF game. If they are continuing down the same path, I will not buy the game, especially when I have PUBG as my current game of choice, and Insurgency Sandstorm and Islands of Nyne on my radar for 2018.

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 11:28pm

Quoted

There is not one thing that I will miss in another game of the BF franchise. For me every feature they introduced in BF1 was a minor or major step into a direction I did not want the franchise to take.

I can calm you though at least about the calibre characteristics as you call it. The noticeable differences between the weapons even within class were mandatory because of the huge difference in operating mechanics and specifically the amount of bullets that fit in a gun. When you have the M1907 Sweeper at one end and the RSC at the other you have to think about making both viable and that works at best with differentiating ballistics and damage. I would have still put them on the same foundation, so you do not have to balance 30 weapons individually, but well.
However with the Season Pass gone for good and likely free maps for the next installment they will have to find other ways to monetize on the game. The best way to do this is obviously by going down the R6 route to sell classes/loadouts/gadgets and weapons. As you can not simply sell weapon skins you would again differentiate each new weapon and balance it separately. This works regardless of the setting, too, but is easier in a game with a wide variety of calibres, like WW II.

As on the so so-called super casual stuff: Depending on the setting you will surely see more of it. Also that kind of stuff was not gone in BF1 either. The Flare Gun as well as defensive C4 still fulfill that. And by the way, the XM25 was the most ingenious addition to the franchise. A highly tactical tool that required thinking to be used effectively and could break up stalemates and keep the match dynamic. AR missiles were more of a nuisance and often the only way to "deal" with jets by being able to hit them. The whole air game goes to shit when jets are implemented in the game, as seen in BF2, BF3 and BF4.

At this point I am not sure if I would be okay with anything carried over to the new game from BF1, or if I would want them to create something new with a fresh slate. The choice would be between a BF1/Battlefront 2 hybrid where EA played it safe or a game like Overfield: Battleloot Royale where they manage to implement the worst features of all games. Ah and with an even more intrusive Origin experience.

Yeah I am looking at it pretty grimdark and I am tempted to make an assumption thread, I just have been severely disappointed like I never thought I would be.
Agree with all of the points you have said, but I want to re-iterate the ingenuity of the XM25. It is not powerful enough, so if you use against someone face to face you will die most of the time, but it is used to clear infantry behind cover like snipers and stationary MGs where they have a thick piece of metal in front of them. And the best of it all is that ammo resupplies really slowly. I have to really think about when I use it. Having XM25 smoke is just the cherry on top.

I never get mad when I am killed by the XM25, unlike the stupid crossbow or rifle grenades in BF1.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,974)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 11:47pm

I will miss the Strategic Bomber. I will be very sad if there aren't more zergbusters.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 11:54pm

So many of these things could potentially be in the next Battlefield but I am going to list a couple of things that were unique about this game that I will miss if they arent implemented into the next game.

Realistic ballistics:
DICE took time to realistically implement a ballistic model into BF1. In prior battlefield games, the velocity was constant and was usually somewhat low compared to IRL caliber counterparts. BF1 has a more realistic model where the bullet has a comparatively high muzzle velocity that slows down as the bullet fights wind resistance. If this is not implemented in BF2018, I will be very upset.

Caliber charactaristics
If one takes time to do research, one will find DICE took time to correctly implement characteristics of the calibers compared to their real counterparts. For example, you will find virtually every weapon in game has the historically correct muzzle velocity based on their caliber. The .351SLW fired by the m1907 had a muzzle velocity of 570 m/s IRL and this was correctly implemented in game. The original 30-06 M1906 round used during WW1 had a velocity of 820 m/s and had a boat tail (low drag) bullet. Both of these characteristics are implemented in game to all 30-06 rounds. another example is how within their classes calibers will be more or less powerful than others. If we compare for example the m1907 firing .351SL and the Model 8 .25 extended firing .25 remington, the m1907 has more damage and retains damage better over range. IRL, this is the case with these calibers. The .25 remington at the muzzle had 1,600 joules of energy from a bullet weighing 7.5g. The .351SL had a muzzle energy of 1,900 joules from an 11.6 grain bullet. This power difference is reflected in game with how the more massive .351 with more energy has more base damage and retains it better over range compared to the lightweight .25 remington that has less energy. (a more massive bullet retains KE better over range than a lighter one)

Reduced super casual ease of use spammables such as autolocking missiles from BF4.
as a tanker, I loathed STAFF shells that had no drop and never required a direct hit. as infantry, I loathed XM25 operation locker no Line of Sight spam. as a pilot, I loathed active radar missiles that came with little warning and could be fired instantly and required no precision. I hated them because loosing to cheap game mechnics isnt fun at all. it caters to low skill passive gameplay and punishes players who want a genuine sense of gameplay. This one is subjective but I stiff feel BF1 lacked much of these things. The battlefront style hero mechanic with the elite classes could be considered an ease of use cop out but there was only one of them at a time per elite and had drawbacks. The cavalry is annoying but can be countered. the mechanics that I listed as spammables from BF4 had little counter as they could be used passively and gave a near complete advantage. I DO NOT miss these mechanics and do not want to see them or anything resembling them in BF2018.

This is what I have right now. any thoughts?

I actually find the pedantry over muzzle velocities and damage drop off pretty much pointless given that the ballistics and overall gun play is still basically arcade shooter. Who cares if the muzzle velocities are realistic if the drag/drop model is complete garbage. Balancing around caliber vs range vs mag count really only made sense, but its attractive due it being logical, not because it's realistic. Ballistics is way more complicated than just projectile mass anyway.

The only things I like in BF1 compared to other titles (BF3, BF4 mostly) are the elimination of bloaty false choices in terms of guns, and the addition of driver repair for vehicles without having to get out and your vehicle stolen.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Thursday, March 1st 2018, 11:55pm

I actually really liked BF1. But I absolutely regret the day-1 premium pass. Most of the DLC content is pretty crap. Only things I really like are the Strategic bomber and the Saint Chamond. I can live without the dlc weps.

Date of registration
: May 24th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Friday, March 2nd 2018, 7:01am

I actually thought the DLC weps filled a lot of niches and were pretty unique. With a few MAJOR exceptions I think some of the DLC maps are my favorites as well. I guess I could still play them on Op campaigns without DLC now but still. Got the game + prem for 60 USD so I cant really complain.