Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "BleedingUranium" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, January 19th 2018, 10:14am

Sensitivity settings, and how they're broken

EDIT: TL;DR IN IMAGE FORM

One
Two
Three
Four

----

After hours and hours of tedious testing, I've figured out what's wrong with both the ADS Sensitivity slider and Uniform Soldier Aim Coefficient slider, neither of which work as they should. Please keep in mind this is all in-game testing (min sensitivity, stopwatch, different settings, and hours of repeat testing), not from the files or with fancy formulas, as I lack the resources/ability to figure it out from that angle.

One would expect "100%" ADS sensitivity to mean hipfire and 1.0x ADS zoom have exactly the same sensitivity. They do not. The true 100% value is actually 166%. I admit it could be a few percentage points to each side, but only a couple at most, and 166% makes sense as a nice math-y, logical value.

It scales as expected otherwise, meaning if you want ADS to have 50% of your hipfire sensitivity (as I do), you set it to 83%, half of 166%. Nice and simple.

The more complex one was figuring out the Uniform Soldier Aim Coefficient. There was debate in BF4 as to whether you should keep it at the default 133% or actually match it to your aspect ratio, but that discussion is irrelevant in BF1 because it doesn't work that way at all. If your goal is to set sensitivity to correctly scale with zoom, meaning 4x zoom would be exactly four times less sensitive than hipfire/1x, then you're going to need settings lower than one would expect. The other caveat is the zoom levels are not actually what they're listed as, they're all a bit lower. For example, 3x is actually 2.792x, while 8x is 7.383x. They all still have the correct relationship to each other, they just "climb" at a slower rate. This is important, as you thus want "2.792x" zoom to be that much less sensitive, not three times less.

There is no one true value because it depends on your Field of View setting, but I've established how the (console) FoV range functions, and one can interpret their own setting from here, as with before, these could be off by 2-3 percent either side, but no more than that.

* Default 55 FoV = 100% Coefficient (nice and easy)

* 60 FoV = 94%

* 90 FoV = 61%

* 100 FoV = 50%

* 105 FoV = 45% (max console FoV)

The conversion rate appears to be 1.111% down for every 1 FoV up. Without hard formulas or file info, I admit each setting could be off by a couple percentage points, but no more than that, it makes too much difference after that.

----

TLDR;

For matching hipfire/ADS sensitivity: 166% ADS Sensitivity

For correct UsA Coefficient: Find personal setting with 1-FoV-to-1.111% rule above

DO NOT ALTER INDIVIDUAL UsA SLIDERS, LEAVE AT 100%!

This made a massive positive impact on my aim ability, and the bizarre thing was it felt drastically better, yet exactly the same as what I had before; there was maybe a match-length of time to get used to it. If anyone is curious and wants to try to figure out the logic (or lack of?) behind these, please do! I'd love hard confirmation and exact values on this.
Who Enjoys, Wins

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "BleedingUranium" (Jan 28th 2018, 2:31am)

Date of registration
: Mar 31st 2015

Reputation modifier: 6

Friday, January 19th 2018, 1:44pm

Been looking for this info forever. Thanks. The lack of information on these settings is a little worrying.

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Friday, January 19th 2018, 6:40pm

Working for me on the PC, 1440p 90FOV, tested up to 4x (I don't Sniper).

Before I adjusted individual USA settings per zoom level to match, but had to go to the max 200% for 3x, and obviously could not go higher. With your settings the Medic Marksman 4x is useable. Thanks :-)

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Friday, January 19th 2018, 11:55pm

Was it broken by one of the patches? Is it console only or both console and PC??

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 20th 2018, 12:42am

Was it broken by one of the patches? Is it console only or both console and PC??

I believe it's always been set up like this in BF1.

As for PC, I'd imagine it's the same but I can't test that. Controllers are far better to test, as sticks offer infinite, constant movement; to test rotation speed I set my sensitivity to 5% and held it to the side to spin in a circle on the horizontal plane, and timed how long it took to complete that. With ADS sens at the neutral 166%, I timed hipfire/1.0x at roughly 4.25 seconds for a rotation; as this value isn't affected by FoV settings, this allowed me to use it as the baseline for testing different higher zooms across different FoV settings.

This should work on PC too, but to make testing easier and more consistent, I temporarily rebound look left/right to left/right on the D-Pad, to avoid any up/down movement; for PC rebinding to a keyboard button would accomplish the same thing. I primarily tested with 10x (actually 9.244x) zoom for maximum difference and also the most precision (small inconsistencies of 0.1 second or so from the stopwatch impact the highest/slowest zoom least). If hipfire is ~4.25 seconds for a rotation, 10x should be 9.244 times as slow, meaning ~39.3 seconds. At this slow of a speed, a couple percentage points can make about a half-second difference, which is quite a bit when dealing with values this small. This is also why I'm quite confident in these values.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, January 20th 2018, 2:46am

I will test it on PC and report back. But so far I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary, because 1.66 is such big factor that it would be hard to not notice.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, January 21st 2018, 7:32am

I have tested out 1x magnification, USA on, ADS scaling on, USA coefficient 100%, 1x magnification sensitivity 100%, ADS sensitivity 100%, distance to 360 is exactly the same. No funky stuff here.

Date of registration
: May 24th 2012

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, January 21st 2018, 7:49am

I fucking knew there was something wrong with the sensitivity settings in BF1. On console with controller and PC with MKB the ADS sens has always felt too high, and the scopes didn't feel like they scaled correctly at all like in BF4 with USA-on.

I always wanted to turn my ADS sens down but didnt want to lose muscle memory... now I know I can.

Will test with your suggested settings for a while and see how it feels and seems to react.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Sunday, January 21st 2018, 4:58pm

@sid_tai

Thanks for testing that, I have to wonder if the ADS sens being lower at 100% thing is console-specific.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jun 15th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, January 22nd 2018, 1:01am

sid_tai is right about the 360 rotation

I am on PC and i tested with the 100% ADS sens. and at 166% ADS sens. The 100% is exactly a 1:1 scale.Works perfect. HOWEVER,when i put it at 166% my hip was 360 degrees and my 1x was a whopping 630 degrees.

@BleedingUranium. I am hoping that the FOV discrepancy that you have discovered still applies to the PC version of bf1 as i changed all that stuff.hahaha