Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

J0hn-Stuart-Mill

GW2 N00B... also old.

(1,955)

• "J0hn-Stuart-Mill" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 10th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 4:47am

EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Quoted

EA is shutting down Visceral Games, the studio behind games like Battlefield Hardline and Dead Space, the publisher said today. The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio, EA says, although it will now be something completely different.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post.

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990
My father used to say, We find our true friends on the Battlefield! - J0hn Snow

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 5:34am

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for Dead Space. ;(

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 1:58pm

Yeah well, a shame for the studio Visceral used to be. The studio was a prime example of how a publisher can ruin the name and product of a studio by pressure and control of the franchise. Publishers can have a really negative effect on studios, if they act only in terms of maximising profits.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 2:49pm

Saw Jim Sterling do a brief piece on this last night. Not a fan of their work (Dead Space was lack-lustre and Hardline absolute garbage, although it's definitely arguable the latter wasn't their fault) but that still doesn't excuse the fact that another game studio who made unique and interesting games has been shot execution-style by EA...
Very annoyed by this...

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Somewhere Beyond Seas by Varathron!

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,088)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 4:59pm

Dead Space was one of the few, story-driven single-players I have played. Shame to see the studio to go, but on the other hand it can be for better if the work environment/economy inside studio was bad (whether it is result of publisher being pain in a butt or something else).
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 6:04pm

A studio can die, it's not like the good staff has died with them. But I am a little bit confused, what was their recent project/work after Hardline (a game I should have bought, simply because the beta was real fun)
still playin' Motorstorm

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 7:36pm

A studio can die, it's not like the good staff has died with them. But I am a little bit confused, what was their recent project/work after Hardline (a game I should have bought, simply because the beta was real fun)

They were developing a singleplayer story-driven Star Wars title. Think of Boba Fett meets Uncharted, I guess. In the commentary it said that they want to focus more on a game that binds players longer, a game as service-piece. since this is the hot shit right now. Basically more sandbox, more timesink, more options to make money by EA (not that this is tendencially a bad thing).

Yeah one must not confuse Visceral now, with Visceral back in 2009. Dead Space was a great game. The success led EA to pressure the studio to make two successors each with very hotly debated features like a season pass and microtransactions on top of being a full-price title. Hardline was another one of these titles where you knew they were just trying to milk a franchise.
That is not to say that EA was only bad, although it was at the time where they were voted the worst enterprise of the world (which is a bit exaggerated when you think about corporations). I guess they wanted to experiment with some new things and the games did not sell too bad either. They gave a good studio a bad name though. People eventually left and I guess the people developing Dead Space in 2009 have moved on for years mostly.

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 9:11pm

Very sad... Dead Space 2 is one of my alltime favorite playthroughs, and even though I only played the story mode and maybe five minutes of multiplayer, Hardline endeared me with it's over-the-top gritty cop-show cliches from the first minute (granted, I got Hardline for $5 on the PSN store, my opinion might be different had I paid full price)...

Even though Dead Space 3 was mostly a dumpster fire that completely pissed all over the carefully crafted canon universe, the weapon crafting system was sublime once you got the hang of it... I heard somewhere that EA forced Visceral to speed up completion of DS3 so they had to fall back on a truncated, simpler storyline just to meet deadline and get it on the shelves... I can only imagine how incredible the game they actually wanted to make could have been with a little more time+resources...

And I still don't care, I'll forever be holding out hope for a Dead Space that continues the original canon story... I'm also still hoping for a Mass Effect that absolves the sins of the most recent game, and a Half-Life 3 game before I start collecting social security...

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 10:05pm

They were developing a singleplayer story-driven Star Wars title. Think of Boba Fett meets Uncharted, I guess. In the commentary it said that they want to focus more on a game that binds players longer, a game as service-piece. since this is the hot shit right now. Basically more sandbox, more timesink, more options to make money by EA (not that this is tendencially a bad thing).

Yeah one must not confuse Visceral now, with Visceral back in 2009. Dead Space was a great game. The success led EA to pressure the studio to make two successors each with very hotly debated features like a season pass and microtransactions on top of being a full-price title. Hardline was another one of these titles where you knew they were just trying to milk a franchise.
That is not to say that EA was only bad, although it was at the time where they were voted the worst enterprise of the world (which is a bit exaggerated when you think about corporations). I guess they wanted to experiment with some new things and the games did not sell too bad either. They gave a good studio a bad name though. People eventually left and I guess the people developing Dead Space in 2009 have moved on for years mostly.

So, a Star Wars Themed Destiny 2 alike. Do they really dont have any own ideas? But on the other hand, why should I buy a Destiny 2 alike, if I can play Destiny 2. EA wanted to milk Star Wars more and realized that shit wont sell.

Meh, the inability of Hardline 2 is a bad thing, despite not surprising.

Tbh, at some point, the people will find jobs somewhere else and if EA is destroying its intellectual property and is incapable to come up with something own, then its their business model. They have to figure it out themselves.

Because right now, Activision has a really strong position: Cod (still a big thing), all of Blizzard (Overwatch), Destiny 2, probably some mobile games

EA has Battlefield and FIFA, Ubisoft has ... Assassins Creed, I guess ?(

But rambling about the industry in general is another topic, so I just write down my thoughts right now.
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Jul 28th 2014

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, October 18th 2017, 11:42pm

So, a Star Wars Themed Destiny 2 alike. Do they really dont have any own ideas? But on the other hand, why should I buy a Destiny 2 alike, if I can play Destiny 2. EA wanted to milk Star Wars more and realized that shit wont sell.

Meh, the inability of Hardline 2 is a bad thing, despite not surprising.

Tbh, at some point, the people will find jobs somewhere else and if EA is destroying its intellectual property and is incapable to come up with something own, then its their business model. They have to figure it out themselves.

Because right now, Activision has a really strong position: Cod (still a big thing), all of Blizzard (Overwatch), Destiny 2, probably some mobile games

EA has Battlefield and FIFA, Ubisoft has ... Assassins Creed, I guess ?(

But rambling about the industry in general is another topic, so I just write down my thoughts right now.

To clarify, the project Visceral was working on was a single-player game like Dead Space or Uncharted. Now that the studio has been closed down, resources and assets that were originally for that project are being put towards a "Destiny 2-like" project. Though I don't think it'll be like Destiny, since EA's Destiny competitor is Anthem by BioWare.

We're gradually witnessing probably the biggest shift in the gaming industry since 2007. In 2007, games became more and more about online multiplayer. Now, they're becoming more and more about being grindy open-world sandboxes with RNG crates/microtransactions. Look at any AAA game released in the past year or two, chances are it has some form of RNG microtransaction, and it's only going to become more common from here on out, because it makes way more money than standard DLC ever did, and acts as an artificial way to generate player retention. Dangle a carrot on a stick for players to grind for rather than make them come back for the gameplay itself.

Well-crafted, linear, self-contained, single-player experiences are going to become a thing of the past. More and more games are going to try and be Overwatch and Assassin's Creed, and soon Battlegrounds.

To be honest, I preferred season passes. At least that's a one-time purchase that isn't gambling.