Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "BleedingUranium" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Yesterday, 5:18am

BF3 End Game.

Best BF3 expansion.

The maps will play fine, or rather they'll play even better, since SLRs and MGs can now actually meaningfully engage snipers at range.
Who has fun, wins.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Yesterday, 7:21am

"Fun fact: no BF game has such a high cover density like BF1."
-https://twitter.com/Kenturrac/status/908089199718490113

it's not all about the density though

I know DICE has fancy tools for determining Lines of Sight etc. (and apparently cover density too), they probably have everything cover-related under control, and I think theydidn't accidentally or intentionally change cover structure massively from bf4.

One thing that did change though, is that sniper rifles are way stronger. Difficulty in securing a kill at range is reduced through both a larger OHK hitbox and faster bullet velocity. Also, min damage is higher, meaning if you are hurt (even just 20%) you'll die in one shot. All over increased OHK potential.

I.e. deadliness of being out of cover has gone up (maybe not a bad thing).

This buff to snipers (at range) also means there will be more of them (in long range positions). [citation needed]

In Bf4 I usually notice a sniper by other means than getting one hit killed. There is both a larger chance of a near miss (due to slower velocity) and a lower chance of death if hit (lower damage). In Bf1 you just die.

have to round this off now, but as you see maybe people are just not used to bf1 snipers yet, or maybe snipers are too powerful in relation to what cover there is. Maybe snipers are lacking in counterplay.

Disclaimer: just a quick look at it, this post was written in a hurry, Bf1 playtime: ~20h

Wow, I am very, very interested in how he got that statistic. I would agree that there are some very high cover density areas in maps, namely capture points. But we do not want that. We want more uniform cover density, not spikes in cover density. If that is their line of thinking, I can finally comprehend the trend in map design since, and including, BF3 End Game.

This isn't a meaningful statistic though. All a map needs are a few fairly open spaces in the wrong locations to absolutely break up flow between flags and punish players trying to cross flag gaps without the strength in numbers of zerging packs of players.

I think many of the "bad" maps suffer this problem. Lots of dense cover on specific flags (or you know complex bunkers or entire forts!) but very little in between and it really stalls team mobility.

Date of registration
: Jun 9th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Yesterday, 7:43am

Quoted

it's not all about the density though

I know DICE has fancy tools for determining Lines of Sight etc. (and apparently cover density too), they probably have everything cover-related under control, and I think theydidn't accidentally or intentionally change cover structure massively from bf4.

One thing that did change though, is that sniper rifles are way stronger. Difficulty in securing a kill at range is reduced through both a larger OHK hitbox and faster bullet velocity. Also, min damage is higher, meaning if you are hurt (even just 20%) you'll die in one shot. All over increased OHK potential.

I.e. deadliness of being out of cover has gone up (maybe not a bad thing).

This buff to snipers (at range) also means there will be more of them (in long range positions). [citation needed]

In Bf4 I usually notice a sniper by other means than getting one hit killed. There is both a larger chance of a near miss (due to slower velocity) and a lower chance of death if hit (lower damage). In Bf1 you just die.

have to round this off now, but as you see maybe people are just not used to bf1 snipers yet, or maybe snipers are too powerful in relation to what cover there is. Maybe snipers are lacking in counterplay.

Disclaimer: just a quick look at it, this post was written in a hurry, Bf1 playtime: ~20h

Wow, I am very, very interested in how he got that statistic. I would agree that there are some very high cover density areas in maps, namely capture points. But we do not want that. We want more uniform cover density, not spikes in cover density. If that is their line of thinking, I can finally comprehend the trend in map design since, and including, BF3 End Game.

This isn't a meaningful statistic though. All a map needs are a few fairly open spaces in the wrong locations to absolutely break up flow between flags and punish players trying to cross flag gaps without the strength in numbers of zerging packs of players.

I think many of the "bad" maps suffer this problem. Lots of dense cover on specific flags (or you know complex bunkers or entire forts!) but very little in between and it really stalls team mobility.

You are quite right, bad example in case: Fort de Vaux. However, my observation is that what makes maps like Karkand, Sharqi and Bazaar so good is that there is some cover when you need it.

In relation to TTK though, in the above maps I mentioned, I notice that the common factor is that TTK is still reasonably low with respect to distance from your cover to enemy
cover. That is not the case for a lot of the BF4 maps, and certainly not the case for BF1.