Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

This post by "LeGarcon" (Saturday, August 19th 2017, 9:30am) has been deleted by the author himself (Saturday, August 19th 2017, 9:32am) with the following reason: Accidental double post

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, August 19th 2017, 9:31am

Quoted from "OldBFAddict"

Worst of all, IMO, it discourages PTO. If I'm off trying to be catch up with armored cars to place a limpet or kill a vehicle with an RG, a slot on the team is wasted.

Honestly, it's this attitude I can't stand more than any other in the BF community. I play games to have fun. If charging a flag and capping it to secure an area is fun, I'll do that. If spending literally an entire match as a Fighter (and I don't mean Trench), just to see if the enemy is actually capable of taking me out is fun (which it is), I'll do that too. Does that help me see the word "Victory" written across the end-game screen, at least more than other things I could do? Probably not, but it's more fun.

You know what winning gets you? It gets you that "Victory" text instead of "Defeat" text, and I should add that that's over the exact same music and such either way. The only difference other than that one piece of text is whether you get a score bonus, which, seeing as I'm over Level 70 and all my classes are over Rank 10, is 100% worthless.

So no, I don't inherently find playing to win fun at all. It often is, as fighting the enemy and all that good stuff is usually enjoyable, but the goal doesn't have to be to reach 1000 arbitrary points first, there are plenty of other goals to have. Maybe my goal is to play an entire match with just pistols (which I haven't done I don't think, but that sounds like a fantastic idea), or faction-specific guns, or (as I always do) what are effectively cosplay loadouts of characters from other pieces of fiction, so I can roleplay a particular badass character I like. Or just simpler things like spawning as whatever class seems most fun, or whatever point seems most interesting, even if it's less "practical". Maybe I feel like repeatedly backcapping a flag and annoying the hell out of the enemy team that has to keep sending people back there. Sure that's definitely helpful to my team (usually), but really I'm just doing it because the act of doing it is fun.

It's the same attitude that says Syringe / Medpack is the One True Way to play Medic. Well too bad for them, because Smoke Rifle Grenades / Syringe and Frag RG / Healthpacks are both fun and effective too. Or Decoy / Periscope Scout, for maximum troll factor, it's fun.

That's not to say I don't try my best and play my hardest, I basically always do, but that doesn't mean I'm trying my hardest to win, because my goal isn't necessarily to get the Victory text. And by having fun, I'm winning at what I want to be doing. Assignments and the like are much the same thing, just given by the devs with actual rewards instead of given to yourself just for your own amusement.

Well put, I feel the same way.

edited cause ruined message with a new page.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Saturday, August 19th 2017, 8:42pm

Here's my issue with all this. I don't have a problem with any single assignment, I have a problem with BF1 not having new content (or balance changes, or major bug fixes, or RSP additions) in six months, then locking all the new gameplay content behind over 30 assignments, meaning we won't really get to meaningfully play with all/most of them until the game's first anniversary.

If you want to include progression and assignments, give us the guns and specs right off the bat, then have assignment for using them which give skins, dog tags, etc.

This is a problem.

I think the bigger problem is content that treats players like tigers that need to jump through flaming hoops to get a treat.

Let me play the game I paid for the way I want to play it. I also don't like being patronized by assuming I'm too stupid to try out all the different things the game has to offer without offering me an assignment to "make" me do it.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Yesterday, 10:54am

Here's my issue with all this. I don't have a problem with any single assignment, I have a problem with BF1 not having new content (or balance changes, or major bug fixes, or RSP additions) in six months, then locking all the new gameplay content behind over 30 assignments, meaning we won't really get to meaningfully play with all/most of them until the game's first anniversary.

If you want to include progression and assignments, give us the guns and specs right off the bat, then have assignment for using them which give skins, dog tags, etc.

This is a problem.

I think the bigger problem is content that treats players like tigers that need to jump through flaming hoops to get a treat.

Let me play the game I paid for the way I want to play it. I also don't like being patronized by assuming I'm too stupid to try out all the different things the game has to offer without offering me an assignment to "make" me do it.

Yep, and it is even further a problem, because they want to bring the plethora of people back that left the game for lack of fun and other reasons. Locking features that might have a positive impact on them behind assignments they perceive to have done a number of times already is hardly going to keep them intrigued. I mean all the assignments will probably take 8-12 hours of playtime, that is quite a lot of time investment to ask for in a game that many people happily left.

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Yesterday, 11:28am

I like treats and hoops. Honestly I'll get bored if I have nothing to work for.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Yesterday, 6:35pm

Oh yeah for cosmetics, dogtags, battlelog profile stuff, melee weapon skins and a bunch of other minimal stuff, I totally agree.

Also for content in terms of weapons and gadgets, but not if they take me 8 hours to unlock a variant. However if they make me use gagdets in a certain way or are a bit more creative, then absolutely.

But for a basic game feature? And perks are nothing more. For me this is like locking a new gamemode or maps behind an assignment. This does remind me of my MMO days, where you would grind out 300 standard mobs for a marginal passive buff to a certain skill or stat. But that really is just not applicable to a shooter.
And of course, even if the game gets marginally better with the perks, who wants to grind out these perks for hours if the underlying game is still not fun to play?

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Yesterday, 9:35pm

Oh yeah for cosmetics, dogtags, battlelog profile stuff, melee weapon skins and a bunch of other minimal stuff, I totally agree.

Also for content in terms of weapons and gadgets, but not if they take me 8 hours to unlock a variant. However if they make me use gagdets in a certain way or are a bit more creative, then absolutely.

But for a basic game feature? And perks are nothing more. For me this is like locking a new gamemode or maps behind an assignment. This does remind me of my MMO days, where you would grind out 300 standard mobs for a marginal passive buff to a certain skill or stat. But that really is just not applicable to a shooter.
And of course, even if the game gets marginally better with the perks, who wants to grind out these perks for hours if the underlying game is still not fun to play?

Yeah exactly.

Locking cosmetics and other fun but not necessary content is win-win. The hoop jumpers get their dog treats, everyone else gets to play the damn game.

It seems like BF1 has stabilized with a semi-decent player base, but I think the response to Tzar will determine how things go over the rest of the premium life-cycle.

The playerbase still seems pretty fatigued, and I wonder what the overall response will be given the sheer amount of the new stuff locked behind even more assignments. If you have to grind even more of the base content you're already bored with, how good are the assignments going to be at player retention.