Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Thursday, August 3rd 2017, 4:14pm

Yeah, while historically accurate I'm really trying hard to figure out what role small tanks really have to play in BF1... I might sort of understand if they only appeared on maps with no heavy tanks...

Running away from the bigger tanks mostly.

The artillery truck is actually very potent for AT work if you use it's mobility to flank the heavies, but most people just hill-camp them.

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Thursday, August 3rd 2017, 9:15pm

Here's my tank on them.

Mortar Truck: This is very pointless. Not only is the damage and accuracy pretty bad, but you make yourself a close range sitting duck that wastes almost all situational awareness to look at blips on a map.

AA Truck: This is basically an AA gun that covers like half of the map, is (almost) sniper-proof, and can retreat if things get hairy. Considering that most maps already have like six to ten stationary AA guns, it seems the only point of this is to be as annoying to enemy pilots as possible. Which may sound like a good thing, but spawning in a proper tank would still be more of an asset to your team. Most pilots will fall victim to the stationary AA guns anyways.

Artillery Truck: Sadly, this is a fairly useful vehicle that's completely misused by the majority. As Mayvin has pointed out, the combination of vehicle speed and the 360-degree rotation of the artillery gun actually makes it a pretty damn good tank hunter. You may be able to easily flank an FT-17 Close Support, but you may still be able to out-DPS one. Furthermore, it's probably one of the better vehicles to rank up the Tanker class with (zipping from flag to flag), considering most tanks are far too slow to effectively compete with teammates for flag points.

FT-17 Close Support: This has the benefit of being the "modern tank," and thus it has a very familiar feel to it. Being able to shoot enemies from your side or from behind while still moving is great. Although, it's still very slow, and thus if a heavier tank is aware to your presence, your lighter armor and slow speed will probably get you killed.

FT-17 Howitzer: Very powerful gun, but with a low velocity and limited turret rotation. The limited rotation and light armor of the tank will makes its users quite paranoid over the potential of being flanked. As such, anybody who uses this tank will try to hang back a bit so they aren't flanked. The very low shell velocity works against keeping your distance, though. As such, the "Howitzer" variant is of limited use.

FT-17 Flanker: Sucks against other tanks, but it cheeses infantry without effort. On maps like Amiens and Suez, this thing is pretty overpowered (or at least borderline). Despite its huge handicap against other tanks, I'd ultimately say this is easily the most useful personal armored vehicle. No other non-behemoth vehicle can single-handedly farm infantry quite like the Flanker.

Overall, I'd say the Artillery Truck, FT-17 Flanker, and maybe even the FT-17 Close Support are the only ones worth using. Even then, you're just simply better off with a heavier crew tank in the vast majority of cases.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, August 4th 2017, 12:59am

I mean the advantages of set spawns is obvious. On certain maps, allowing only certain spawns will make sure that the vehicles are used closer to their appropriate role and that there is always a counter. On smaller maps, it makes sense to have a small tank slot, as you will encounter mor infantry and might need your rotating turret more. Same with AA on air-heavy maps. It is just a balancing tool so that coincidence does not suddenly swarm the map with 6 A7, while in the sky there are 6 attack planes.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 9th 2017, 9:10pm

Here's my tank on them.

Mortar Truck: This is very pointless. Not only is the damage and accuracy pretty bad, but you make yourself a close range sitting duck that wastes almost all situational awareness to look at blips on a map.

AA Truck: This is basically an AA gun that covers like half of the map, is (almost) sniper-proof, and can retreat if things get hairy. Considering that most maps already have like six to ten stationary AA guns, it seems the only point of this is to be as annoying to enemy pilots as possible. Which may sound like a good thing, but spawning in a proper tank would still be more of an asset to your team. Most pilots will fall victim to the stationary AA guns anyways.

Artillery Truck: Sadly, this is a fairly useful vehicle that's completely misused by the majority. As Mayvin has pointed out, the combination of vehicle speed and the 360-degree rotation of the artillery gun actually makes it a pretty damn good tank hunter. You may be able to easily flank an FT-17 Close Support, but you may still be able to out-DPS one. Furthermore, it's probably one of the better vehicles to rank up the Tanker class with (zipping from flag to flag), considering most tanks are far too slow to effectively compete with teammates for flag points.

FT-17 Close Support: This has the benefit of being the "modern tank," and thus it has a very familiar feel to it. Being able to shoot enemies from your side or from behind while still moving is great. Although, it's still very slow, and thus if a heavier tank is aware to your presence, your lighter armor and slow speed will probably get you killed.

FT-17 Howitzer: Very powerful gun, but with a low velocity and limited turret rotation. The limited rotation and light armor of the tank will makes its users quite paranoid over the potential of being flanked. As such, anybody who uses this tank will try to hang back a bit so they aren't flanked. The very low shell velocity works against keeping your distance, though. As such, the "Howitzer" variant is of limited use.

FT-17 Flanker: Sucks against other tanks, but it cheeses infantry without effort. On maps like Amiens and Suez, this thing is pretty overpowered (or at least borderline). Despite its huge handicap against other tanks, I'd ultimately say this is easily the most useful personal armored vehicle. No other non-behemoth vehicle can single-handedly farm infantry quite like the Flanker.

Overall, I'd say the Artillery Truck, FT-17 Flanker, and maybe even the FT-17 Close Support are the only ones worth using. Even then, you're just simply better off with a heavier crew tank in the vast majority of cases.

The problem with the FTs is that they are all basically obsolete versus heavy tanks:

Close support: Yeah so it's got it a turret. But it's also made out of paper and has no countermeasure. The Saint Chamond trades the turret for durability, amazing abilities and multi-crewing/ability to carry third-party repair support.

Flanker: It's lack of countermeasures and general fragility actually makes it extremely vulnerable to any sort of coordinated fire, especially if there is an enemy tank involved. It's not really better at farming infantry than an MG equipped tank.

Howitzer. IMO this is actually the best of the FTs. The derp gun lets you dominate any enemy tank in close quarters and the HMG + smoke screen are basically as good for farming infantry as the autoncannon on the flanker.

Arty truck: Mortar should be removed from the game. AA is basically always a shitty trade unless your armor is getting so dominated by bombers/TH planes that they cannot stay up. Happens like 1% of games. Pierce Arrow: 9/10 times you should be using the Saint Chamond standoff. The trade offs no FOTM and flimsy armor are only viable if you can REALLY take advantage of the truck's mobility. Using it as a camping vehicle is pointless since you can play the same role but far more agressively with the Chamond.

Chamond Standoff is simply besttank.

Date of registration
: Sep 20th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, August 9th 2017, 11:33pm

very few positives, and a whole of problems. From massive overuse of the A7V, to airspace being filled with either nothing but Attack Planes not fighting each other to farm infantry or all Fighters that are entirely irrelevant to the ground, to camping Arty Trucks, to types and variants that almost never get picked either because they're underpowered compared to other choices or the enemy team stacking three A7Vs simply makes any other selection irrelevant, there are plenty of problems with this system.

I don't see much evidence that these problems are caused by the spawn system. I do see a lot of evidence that these problems are due to player attitude (camping, sky trucing), and vehicle balance (chamond besttank)

Also, at least the new system goes some (not much) length to mitigating the old "some noob took our tank and now the MLG tanker can't get one". Your system makes that problem worse again.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, August 9th 2017, 11:49pm

very few positives, and a whole of problems. From massive overuse of the A7V, to airspace being filled with either nothing but Attack Planes not fighting each other to farm infantry or all Fighters that are entirely irrelevant to the ground, to camping Arty Trucks, to types and variants that almost never get picked either because they're underpowered compared to other choices or the enemy team stacking three A7Vs simply makes any other selection irrelevant, there are plenty of problems with this system.

I don't see much evidence that these problems are caused by the spawn system. I do see a lot of evidence that these problems are due to player attitude (camping, sky trucing), and vehicle balance (chamond besttank)

Also, at least the new system goes some (not much) length to mitigating the old "some noob took our tank and now the MLG tanker can't get one". Your system makes that problem worse again.

The other vehicles simply don't offer different but useful benefits over the heavy tanks when you are going for maximum performance, unlike the LAV vs tank, or walker vs tank vs APC in prior titles. That's because BF1 has totally removed much of the vehicle ability wombo-comboing that existed in previous games. Forcing all of the BF1 types to spawn solves the usage issue (any tank is better than no tank), but doesn't really fix the balance issues because the FT lacks unique abilities that make up for the HP /firepower issues. Unlike the BF4 LAV, which had a great set point whilst not being OP like BF3's LAV

Maybe I'm just REALLY good at clicking insanely fast, but I generally get the tank at round start and can keep it most of the round factoring in a death or two. I honestly don't think most people like the tanks all that much in BF1 despite their supposed potency. The actually good tanks are fussy and have annoying blindspots and vunerabilities because of the casemated gun for instance.

What people are really good at is complaining when someone decent does go on a tear with them.