Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 9:17pm

What the TNSP DLC pilot carbine should have been: The 1894 Winchester

So quick history weapon, the french were short of arms during the beginning of WW1 and needed a compact rifle for aircrews and vehicle crews. (incidentally what carbines are issued to in BF1) The french purchased approx 15,000 winchester 1894 lever action rifles chambered in 30-30 (slightly less powerful than the 30-40 krag used in the cavalry and trench 1895 rifles)

I think this would have been interesting and a historically accurate fit for the carbine class because unfortunately DICE seems fixed on producing more pistol carbines. Maybe we could see it in a later DLC.

French Winchester 94: A Backup Arm for Fliers and Drivers - YouTube
Official heretic of the Symthic forums

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 3:19am

It could work, I'm sure. From the limited footage I've seen, the Borchardt C93 Carbine looks quite lackluster. No increased magazine capacity, and it seems to have multiple times the amount of recoil initially depicted in the game files (which would have been its niche). The Winchester Model 1894 would see MUCH more use. Knowing DICE, though, they'd probably use another variant of the Winchester Model 1895 (most likely similar to the Trench/Cavalry versions).

On a related note, this is what DICE should have used for the "M1911 Extended," which is period-correct and actually suitable for the Pilot class. What DICE used seems to be (roughly) based on Hyman Lebman's .38 Super automatic conversion of the M1911, which dates back to the late 1920's/early 1930's (famously used by Baby Face Nelson and John Dillinger). Thus, that's a post-WW1 modification.

Spoiler Spoiler

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 3:28am

Pilot/Tanker weapons literally don't matter. Waste of effort.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 4:06am

It could work, I'm sure. From the limited footage I've seen, the Borchardt C93 Carbine looks quite lackluster. No increased magazine capacity, and it seems to have multiple times the amount of recoil initially depicted in the game files (which would have been its niche). The Winchester Model 1894 would see MUCH more use. Knowing DICE, though, they'd probably use another variant of the Winchester Model 1895 (most likely similar to the Trench/Cavalry versions).

On a related note, this is what DICE should have used for the "M1911 Extended," which is period-correct and actually suitable for the Pilot class. What DICE used seems to be (roughly) based on Hyman Lebman's .38 Super automatic conversion of the M1911, which dates back to the late 1920's/early 1930's (famously used by Baby Face Nelson and John Dillinger). Thus, that's a post-WW1 modification.

Spoiler Spoiler

The "Right Recoil" muzzle device is also a Dillinger Gang thing, being a Cutts-style custom-made comp seen on one of their M1907s. Which is ironic, because despite the Sweeper being full-auto, you can't choose recoil direction, so you can't use it on its own gun.

I definitely hope we get a bolt/lever-action Carbine at some point, to be the opposite to the M1900 Sawed Off (Stop Auto "SMG" is opposite the Pieper "DMR"). I'm also really hoping for an M1912 in full-auto as well, especially with its reload mechanics being so cool.
Who has fun, wins.

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 4:40am

Borchardt C93 Carbine looks quite lackluster

The firing animation also looks quite off. I know the son of sir hiram stevens maxim (the guy who invented the machine guns used in ww1) patented the sound suppressor in 1909 so a sound suppressor isnt too far out of reality but I dont see how a sound suppressor will aid in any significant way in BF1 considering audio spotting went the way of the jihad jeep
Official heretic of the Symthic forums

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 4:50am

First, it's apparently very quiet. Like, so quiet that it will definitely get drowned out if anything at all is happening in the area.

As for what it could potentially do otherwise, there's plenty. Zero tracers, zero muzzle flash, no directional hit indicators for your victims, no little skulls on the enemy map (Medics could still see revive icons, but that's still 3/4), and maybe even no killcam like melee weapons. I'm sure there's plenty more than can be brainstormed as well.

Also, they don't need to be on every gun, which means they don't have to be made that useful for (or balanced for), say, MGs or SLRs. If we just get what we have in the game now, that's the C93 Carbine, M1911, C96, Springfield M1903 (MM scope, bipod, suppressor), and we should obviously get the Nagant Revolver too. That's three Pistols, a Pistol Carbine, and a Bolt Action. Useful for all of them.
Who has fun, wins.

Date of registration
: Jun 21st 2012

Platform: PC

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 4:53am

Pilot/Tanker weapons literally don't matter. Waste of effort.
Agreed. It would be nice if DICE would allow other classes to use them, but with restrictions like:
Sawn-off, Frommer-Stop Auto - only for Assault
Pieper and C96 Carbine - only for Medic and Scout
P08 Artillery - Only for Support
FN M1903 Extended, M1911 Extended - for all classes.
Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language and I have difficulties with acquiring speaking/writing practice in my country. If I accidently insult you or say something wrong - I'm sorry, you can feel free to correct me.

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Wednesday, July 5th 2017, 6:47am

You quoted the wrong person, Mister Plays Games.

no directional hit indicators for your victims

I've always figured this would be the optimal thing to do with suppressors in the absence of audio spotting. It'd confuse the enemy quite a bit. I do like the idea of no kill camera and no skulls also.

Suppressors can actually increase a gun's muzzle velocity if the ammo would otherwise produce a lot of unburnt powder without the suppressor attached. So, maybe it can provide just slightly better muzzle velocity and damage drop-off ranges than the standard Borchardt C93?

Agreed. It would be nice if DICE would allow other classes to use them, but with restrictions like:
Sawn-off, Frommer-Stop Auto - only for Assault
Pieper and C96 Carbine - only for Medic and Scout
P08 Artillery - Only for Support
FN M1903 Extended, M1911 Extended - for all classes.

I've mentioned it a few times, but they all could be made for specific infantry kits. However, you'd equip both of them for the specific class if one is chosen, considering they're better than the secondaries while worse than the primaries. Example for Assault being that if you equip the Frommer Stop as your primary, you'd get the Sawn-Off as your secondary (or vice-versa). For the other classes, I'd say they get one high-capacity carbine and one low-capacity carbine. Scout would get the C96 Carbine (accuracy) and Pieper M1893 (high damage), Support would get the Artillery P08 (capacity) and Mle 1903 Extended (capacity), and Medic would get the leftover M1911 Extended and Borchardt C93 Carbine.