Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Tuesday, June 27th 2017, 4:27am

Understanding LMG spread

So long story short, I know in a practical sense how BF1s lmg spread works: the 1st shot has max accuracy but the spread increase is extreme. From that point, spread recovers in a negative value becoming more accurate with every shot.

From a technical standpoint however, I have several misconceptions;

For example, I will display the spread increase stats for the m1909 optical:
0.158 ADS Base Spread
-0.094x-6 ADS spread increase

So what I dont understand here is the spread value is a negative, So why is the 1st shot spread multiplier a -6 ? Woudnt a -6 multiplier according to the charts make the gun MORE accurate considering the actual spread per shot after the 1st shot is a negative value that decreases spread?

Also does this x-6 value apply to the spread increase or the base accuracy?
My final question here is more of an affirmation making sure im understanding at least a little bit of the negative value mechanic: The benet mercie optical has an increase per shot of -0.094 and the BAR telescopic has an increase per shot of -0.101. The bar will recover accuracy faster right?

These may seem like stupid questions and yes I know the mathematical functions of negative numbers but in the context of a video game chart it is a bit confusing considering I havent looked all at this subject in depth untill recently
Official heretic of the Symthic forums

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Tuesday, June 27th 2017, 4:45am

Negative Number multiplied by Negative Number = Positive Number.

Adding a Negative Number equates Minusing with the same Number as if Positive.

I guess DICE went with this way, so they can use the same formula for all the guns, positive or negative Spread Increase and whether or not Spread Increase First Shot Multiplier.

M1909 Optical per-shot Spread values:

1st 0.158
2nd 0.722 = 0.158 + ( -0.094 * -6 )
3rd 0.628 = 0.722 + ( -0.094 )
4th 0.534 = 0.628 + ( -0.094 )
5th 0.440 = 0.534 + ( -0.094 )
6th 0.346 = 0.440 + ( -0.094 )
7th 0.252 = 0.346 + ( -0.094 )
8th to 30th 0.158 = 0.252 + ( -0.094 )

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Tuesday, June 27th 2017, 11:34am

One thing to note with these negative spread increase LMGs is that LOWER (more negative) spread increase is actually worse, all else being equal.

While a more negative spread increase does indeed mean a faster spread decrease, it is actually a faster spread decrease from a higher spread value.

The LOWER (more negative) spread increase directly contributes to a higher first shot spread increase due to the negative first shot spread multiplier. Two "large" negative numbers (low numbers) multiply to give a large positive number, as you well know.

What you may observe, however, is that all else isn't ever equal. Each variant of an LMG actually possess the same second shot spread value by design. Given that, the variant with the best spread values will actually be the one with the lowest spread increase.

I mention all this because if you use the Symthic comparisons, it will tell you that lower SIPS or FSSM are advantageous for LMGs. When in reality, it's a touch more complicated than that.

EDIT: Another thing to note is that LMGs return to min spread at bullet 2 - FSSM (or just FSSM + 2 if you ignore the negative bit of the FSSM).