Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, July 24th 2017, 3:09pm

I still find it bizarre that people experience more close range engagements in BF1 compared with BF4. With the prevalence of large open spaces and reverse spread of LMGs I find it so much easier to kill at range in this game than I did in BF4. In BF4 there was always cover for the enemy to dive into, always someone to flank you after seeing your shots on the map and far more situations where supposedly cqb weapons would be perfectly capable of taking me out at mid range (looking at you BF3 M16 and you BF4 AEK). In BF1 when I catch someone in the open with my huot or Benet-Mercie I know I've got them. They aren't going to be able to just bunny hop through my bullets into cover and they certainly aren't going to be able to out-damage me at mid range. Mid-range weapons feel so much more useful now than they ever did in BF3 or BF4.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Monday, July 24th 2017, 8:30pm

I still find it bizarre that people experience more close range engagements in BF1 compared with BF4. With the prevalence of large open spaces and reverse spread of LMGs I find it so much easier to kill at range in this game than I did in BF4. In BF4 there was always cover for the enemy to dive into, always someone to flank you after seeing your shots on the map and far more situations where supposedly cqb weapons would be perfectly capable of taking me out at mid range (looking at you BF3 M16 and you BF4 AEK). In BF1 when I catch someone in the open with my huot or Benet-Mercie I know I've got them. They aren't going to be able to just bunny hop through my bullets into cover and they certainly aren't going to be able to out-damage me at mid range. Mid-range weapons feel so much more useful now than they ever did in BF3 or BF4.

They dont though?

If you look at Miffy's post you will see that the distribution of kills vs distance is basically the same for BF1 and BF4. Or close enough that players shouldn't be able to distinguish a difference.

The issue of engagements in BF1 vs BF4 is an issue of perception as I see it.

BF4 had a tremendous variety of map options for sticking to CQB, even on "hated" massive vehicle maps there was always a place you could fight CQB, and you could always have fun with the long range missile options otherwise. In BF1 you've got a far higher amount of dead open space with a weakened ability to transition through it. The CQB zones are mostly hallway fights, or small urban clusters with a high degree of destructibility that doesn't really provide great cover as a result. Also there isn't that much map to map diversity in cover in BF1 compared to BF4. BF1 urban zones on Quentin, Sinai, Suez, Giants, all play basically EXACTLY the same because it's similarly designed/spaced rows of house-things.

And on top of all of that, you've then got weapons are are basically designed to suck utterly outside of CQB, whereas ARs in previous titles could tapfire ok at extended ranges even if they weren't doing a lot of killing.

BF1 also suffers from a serious problem that weapons like the BM tele, or the marksman/sniper SLRs easily fall prey to BAs and by consequence the META really forces you to pick a role, with CQB only choices dominating since that's what has always dominated the game.

The end result is the same sort of distribution in kills as before, just in a way that feels less fun to play because the combination of weapon balance and map design + vehicle distribution makes people more vunerable at range and forces them to really play carefully accordingly.

Date of registration
: Jun 6th 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Monday, July 24th 2017, 9:06pm

Pretty much that. If you're not in a vehicle or you don't have a sniper rifle you pretty much just can't exist outside of a house.

Date of registration
: Sep 19th 2012

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Monday, July 24th 2017, 9:43pm

That's why I'm in favor of decreasing the respawn timer and/or adding more vehicles where applicable