Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "BleedingUranium" started this thread

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Friday, June 16th 2017, 2:59am

BF1's vehicle sensitivity problems

This is a copy-paste of a CTE Reddit post I just made, as I'd like this community's thoughts on these issues, or even parts of how this works (or rather doesn't) that I may have missed and such.

First, let's just let some gameplay do the talking.

The disparity between hipfire and ADS is bad across the board, with the Pom-Pom AA being the most egregious example; their hipfire is generally too sensitive, and ADS is almost uselessly slow.

I suspect hipfire feeling too fast to many players is because I believe they're higher than a lot of (usually console, like me) players' soldier hipfire, which is extremely jarring. Everyone can get used to reduced sensitivity, like Tank cannons or Field Guns, but higher is always going to be bad. If this is indeed the case, there should be a cap that prevents any vehicle from having a faster turn rate than the players' soldier hipfire setting. Regardless, the AA, Jeep MG, and tail guns especially feel far too fast. UsV is needed due not only the difference between hipfire and ADS, but the differences between different vehicles' hipfire/ADS compared to others; the current setup is a complete mess.

For ADS, well, aside from being ridiculously slow and disparate to hipfire, there's another problem at hand: ADSing in the pilot seat of a Plane reduces sensitivity, meaning it actually reduces yaw, roll, and pitch. Not only is this bad for Fighters, but the Tank Hunter AP main cannon, and every Bomber's bombs suffer from this as well, making adjusting your aim/strafing run much less responsive. The Attack Plane bombs seem exempt from this, as they don't actually require the ADS button, which sounds good until you realize it's just another layer of inconsistency.

In addition to Uniform Vehicle Aim, ADS slowdown should be removed entirely from pilot seats.
Who has fun, wins.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Friday, June 16th 2017, 4:18am

This is a copy-paste of a CTE Reddit post I just made, as I'd like this community's thoughts on these issues, or even parts of how this works (or rather doesn't) that I may have missed and such.

First, let's just let some gameplay do the talking.

The disparity between hipfire and ADS is bad across the board, with the Pom-Pom AA being the most egregious example; their hipfire is generally too sensitive, and ADS is almost uselessly slow.

I suspect hipfire feeling too fast to many players is because I believe they're higher than a lot of (usually console, like me) players' soldier hipfire, which is extremely jarring. Everyone can get used to reduced sensitivity, like Tank cannons or Field Guns, but higher is always going to be bad. If this is indeed the case, there should be a cap that prevents any vehicle from having a faster turn rate than the players' soldier hipfire setting. Regardless, the AA, Jeep MG, and tail guns especially feel far too fast. UsV is needed due not only the difference between hipfire and ADS, but the differences between different vehicles' hipfire/ADS compared to others; the current setup is a complete mess.

For ADS, well, aside from being ridiculously slow and disparate to hipfire, there's another problem at hand: ADSing in the pilot seat of a Plane reduces sensitivity, meaning it actually reduces yaw, roll, and pitch. Not only is this bad for Fighters, but the Tank Hunter AP main cannon, and every Bomber's bombs suffer from this as well, making adjusting your aim/strafing run much less responsive. The Attack Plane bombs seem exempt from this, as they don't actually require the ADS button, which sounds good until you realize it's just another layer of inconsistency.

In addition to Uniform Vehicle Aim, ADS slowdown should be removed entirely from pilot seats.

I don't think there is any acceleration for tanks on PC?

The ADS slowdown for planes drives me up the fucking wall though. I want to git gud with the dogfighter plinking infantry but ADS'ing makes me rage quit.

Date of registration
: Sep 20th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, June 16th 2017, 5:41am

How have dice not fixed this mess yet?

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Friday, June 16th 2017, 1:50pm

I've been really tempted to make a thread like this. I'm constantly messing with my settings to try and find the right balance, but it never feels consistent. The groupings they use for the different options are also really strange. The fortress gun and field gun get their own settings, while the stationary MG gets lumped in with a bunch of others. Even within these groupings the speed isn't consistent. Changing the AA sensitivity down to a manageable level makes the Armoured car HMG incredibly slow.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned is the aim assist. It only seems to apply to a select few things. The AC turret gets aim assist, but the stationary MG doesn't. This is really bad for muscle memory. Even the ones that do get aim assist have problems. The slowdown assist actually seems to make aiming with the closed turret MG harder as it seems to aim away from targets and makes leading really hard. I actually have to go in a switch it off when I get in a car as it makes it so hard to hit anything. I think unoform vehicle aiming and maybe an option to turn off different aim assist types for vehicles only would really help. I've spent a long time trying to figure out why it feels so awkward, so I think this thread could be really useful.

Other problems come from damage models. The open topped Jeep only has the vehicle HMG damage model when it really needs the stationary damage model to be even slightly worth the risk of jumping on it. This means not only is the sensitivity awkward, but even when you hit it takes a fair few shots to kill, which is fine when you're in a bulletproof car or tank, not when you're standing completely exposed. Some kind of shield to protect the gunner would help too (like with BC2's hummer, cobra and vodnik for example).

That said, the stationary MG really needs the better damage dropoff of the boat/ zeppelin HMG. 40 max damage is great and all, but the weapon is intended for mid-long range use. If you're hitting someone under 20m it's usually an "oh F#$%" moment where they got too close. Given the lethality of BF1's snipers and the hopeless shield on the MGs, I fail to see how this would be OP. This game's MG's are definitely a step forward from BF4, but DICE still doesn't really understand risk/ reward in this instance.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, June 19th 2017, 1:09pm

Disclaimer: My bad for the double post but I figured no one was going to add anything else and the thread was going to die and I wasn't sure if editing an existing post would actually cause it to show up on the activity feed.

Anyway, I've fiddled around a bit in empty servers and I found something that might help other console players. I've reduced my right stick deadzone setting from the default 22 to 5. I'm finding it allows me to make much more precise aiming adjustments for long range targets when using vehicle and stationary MGs. Previously I found my stick would either not move or move too much and overshoot targets. Now it feels much more smooth. I tried 0% but it causeed my aim to drift slightly, presumably due to wear and tear on my right stick.,

Not sure if this is obvious to other people, but I personally hadn't touched many of these settings, assuming I'd bone my muscle memory and forget what the defaults were. It seems to have helped me though.